Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cilldargan

hidden-agenda
    Nice Frank very very nice its got the appeal of something i would love to build for my self.

I love it,well done and very impressive work.
    ENNISCORTHYMAN

Frank, Lovely job, looks great and mighty atmosphere in it. Well done!

hidden-agenda
    Any more pics please Frank.

Well done Frank-a nice era,love the cement depot.

HI Guys,
    Harking back to Post # 4 on this thread, Anthony said "I can't see your branch line to Ballykay from Cilldargan as I have a branch line heading your way hurry up and get it built "

Actually at the bottom end of the railway room/cum spare bedroom/cum library/ cum study/ cum workshop there is a passageway with floor to ceiling IKEA bookshelves along one side. Through this runs a continious shelf 1' wide by 12' long which will eventually be the start of the Branch Line to Ballykay

I'll have to watch the first episode of Ballykissangel again to have another look at the map on the wall of Fitzgerald's Pub and see where Ballykay is in relation to Cilldargan, so I can work out wether the branch should come off the Mallow line (Fiddle Yard # 1) or the Waterford line (Fiddle yard # 2) .

Cheers,
    Patrick F. Savery,
    District Manager CIE

Developments in East Cilldargan

Cilldargan has now acquired it's own Diesel Shunter Loco, No D.303 via e-bay. And as the branch to Ballykay is going ahead, and there may be a branch 141 based at Cilldargan, I think we might justify a diesel loco layover and refuelling point at Cilldargan. So, I bought a set of Bachmann surveyors and sent them hot foot over to East Cilldargan to look at a site near the new factory units, and this is what they came back with : ~
    Name:  East Cilldargan 001.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  94.7 KB

Mind you, If we do run to a branch loco, knowing whose territory it's going to, I fully realise that it will HAVE to be Absolutely FILTHY

Cheers,
    Patrick F. Savery,
    District Manager,
    CIE Cilldargan.

BLACKWATER STATION on Cilldargan
    Determined to get my moneys worth out of my set of Bachman surveyors, I've had them survey the area around Blackwater Station :~
    Name:  Blackwater Station Track Plan.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  101.2 KB

Blackwater is at the bottom of the layout.
    Unfortunately, this bottom section of the layout and the LHS between Blackwater and East Cilldargan had to be built running through floor to ceiling IKEA book shelves. This means that there is an approx. 1" square support post every 3 feet. When running the layout they are surprisingly "invisible" as I've painted them the same dark green colour as the layout facia and they blend in very well. However, in photographs they will stand out like a sore thumb, so I've got to try and hide them, either that or learn to use Photoshop

In the Blackwater station area I've (hopefully) disguised the two posts by making them the core of the two outer ESSO storage tanks, but I'll have to think hard about the section from Blackwater up to Cilldargan.

At present I have the surveyors out searching for a deposit of Shale, as we have a loading bank almost ready. If they can find a shale deposit, then tyhe mineral will be Shale, If not, probably, ballast for CIE. There is a chance that the mineral might be transported from the quarry to the loading bank by a 9mm gauge Narrow Gauge Railway.

BTW Can anyone please tell me the name of the company who quarry the Shale at Kilmastulla, please ? I may have to contact them about offering another site for them to operate

Cheers,
    Patrick "Frank" Savery,
    District Manager, CIE

It's not really my type or era, but the layout and plans are both looking fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!

The surveys have now been completed for the LHS of my Cilldargan layout and this area has now been officially named the East Cilldargan Industrial Estate. Actually, track laying came first and planning afterwards as this area is dominated by four 1" square bookcase supports which run in a straight line along the basboard. These are a real pain in the bum Inevitably, they occur just where the track wants to run and tracklaying has to incorporate several twists and turns to avoid these 'imovable objects'.

These supports are impossible to hide, but hopefully by disguising two of them as part of the Sugar Beet loading dock and one as part of a mountain of track ballast and keeping the top line of photos pretty low, they can blend into the rest of the scenery. The fourth I thought, might be disguised as a Telofon Eireann Microwave Tower, I guess these things blight the Irish landscape as they do in the Land of Oz.

Name:  E.Cilldargan Industrial Estate 001.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  103.7 KB

Features of this area are the diesel loco refueling and layover siding, a row of modern industrial factory units, which will bring in palletised cement and fertiliser traffic, among other things, and the loading dock for the seasonal sugar beet traffic. There are storage sidings for beet wagons and during the rest of the year these are used by the PWD for loading ballast wagons, using front-end loaders. I might slip in a small HALT for local passenger traffic.

All track at East Cilldargan and Blackwater are now in place and wired for DCC.
    I don't know about DCC wiring in the UK/Irish scene but I use the pretty standard practice in the USofA of a two-wire 'bus' running right round the layout with feeds off these running to every section of track between 2 points and on dead-end sidings. Probably overkill, but it eliminates reliance on the point blade contacts to carry power.

The Bachmann Surveyors have earned their money and found a payable deposit of Shale near Blackwater, so enabling me to put in an order with Hidden-Agenda and Anthony for a rake (maybe even two, of shale wagons).

The only section of the main layout which is still undeveloped is the main station at Cilldargan, which remains just a single track running across the bare baseboard to complete the continious run. Work here awaits a big order for pointwork to the USofA. Trouble is, whenever the treasury starts looking healthy enough to place this order it leaks away on shiny new goodies. Patrick Murphy has a lot to answer for

Name:  P1010053.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  93.8 KB
    PWD work continues at Castlecromerby

But, hopefully, Cilldargan will be in operation before the MM 071's come along to deplete the treasury in October.

Little to do after that. The two fiddle yards representing Mallow/Limerick and Dungarvan/Waterford and the start of the Branchline down to Ballykay. Although this will only get as far as the first station down the line, Knockree, before it hits a brick wall , literally !

Name:  P1010020.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  88.2 KB
    1976 - One of the last deliveries of bagged cement in tarped opens and covered vans to Castlecromerby Cement Works, within weeks this type of transport will be history to be replaced by the new order of Pallet Cement Wagons and fork-lift trucks.