Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cilldargan

hidden-agenda
    Brilliant Frank just captures the imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    Thanx, Anthony. No, not mainline Australian. My other railway modelling passion is the On30 King Island Tramway which is set on King Island which is about the size of the Isle of Man located in Bass Strait NW of Tasmania (BTW Tasmania is about the same size as Ireland) which is completly freelance loosely based on British Colonial?Tasmanian very minor railway practice with American backwoodsy overtones

Other interests ~ far too numerous ~ Industrial NG railways, Irish NG, Maine two-Footers, South African 2' gauge, basically ANYTHING NG, G scale NG, Spanish Civil War, Dutch & Finnish Air Forces pre-1940, British Colonial Military History Pre-1914, American Colonial Military History Pre 1905,(yes, it did have one), old films etc, etc, etc.

Which probably explains why I have a library of over 8,000 books and not nearly enough time to devote to the current layout

Wow Frank how do you get the time

Motive Power Developments on the Cilldargan Section, C.I.E.
    This has been a busy week at Cilldargan, no less than three new items of Motive Power have been delivered. Fortunately, roving reporter Shamus O'Neill was on hand to take some photographs of them in action :

All three are pseudo-Irish rather than 100% irish, which will disapoint the purists among us, but they run well, weren't expensive, look the part and fit in well with my Freelance/Prototype style of modelling, so I'm more than happy with them. They are a Bachmann Iarnrod Eireann 2-car DMU set, a Bachmann Powered Ballast Tamper and Cilldargan's own Shunter a D Class 0-6-0. I have plans for a Silver Fox original 2600-class DMU set, but that's away down the list, and in the meantime the Bachmann DMU will carry the commuters to Cork and Waterford in comfort. Like it very much. Wouldn't be at all surprised If a second 2-car set gets delivered later in the year.

Shamus caught a couple of photos of the new DMU-set at Castlecromerby on a trial run ~

Name:  P1010103.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  96.4 KB

Name:  P1010111.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  104.6 KB

Name:  P1010091.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  94.3 KB

D.303 and the Ballast Tamper # 97 were quickly put to work ~

Name:  P1010099.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  101.9 KB

Name:  P1010102.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  98.7 KB

and, to round the day off, he saw preserved Woolich Mogul # 385 stormed across The Blackwater Bridge on a RPSI Steam Special to Waterford closely foillowed by a Liner Train ~

Name:  P1010078.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  102.3 KB

Name:  P1010071.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  91.7 KB

Cheers,
    Patrick F. Savery,
    District Manager,
    Cilldargan Section, C.I.E.

Looks brilliant Frank - Photo of the 141/181 reminds me of the viaduct near Thomastown with the liner passing.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    Motive Power Developments on the Cilldargan Section, C.I.E.
    This has been a busy week at Cilldargan, no less than three new items of Motive Power have been delivered. Fortunately, roving reporter Shamus O'Neill was on hand to take some photographs of them in action :

All three are pseudo-Irish rather than 100% irish, which will disapoint the purists among us, but they run well, weren't expensive, look the part and fit in well with my Freelance/Prototype style of modelling, so I'm more than happy with them. They are a Bachmann Iarnrod Eireann 2-car DMU set, a Bachmann Powered Ballast Tamper and Cilldargan's own Shunter a D Class 0-6-0. I have plans for a Silver Fox original 2600-class DMU set, but that's away down the list, and in the meantime the Bachmann DMU will carry the commuters to Cork and Waterford in comfort. Like it very much. Wouldn't be at all surprised If a second 2-car set gets delivered later in the year.

Shamus caught a couple of photos of the new DMU-set at Castlecromerby on a trial run ~

Name:  P1010103.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  96.4 KB

Name:  P1010111.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  104.6 KB

Name:  P1010091.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  94.3 KB

D.303 and the Ballast Tamper # 97 were quickly put to work ~

Name:  P1010099.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  101.9 KB

Name:  P1010102.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  98.7 KB

and, to round the day off, he saw preserved Woolich Mogul # 385 stormed across The Blackwater Bridge on a RPSI Steam Special to Waterford closely foillowed by a Liner Train ~

Name:  P1010078.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  102.3 KB

Name:  P1010071.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  91.7 KB

Cheers,
    Patrick F. Savery,
    District Manager,
    Cilldargan Section, C.I.E.
    That bridge is superb!

Super Guru
    Blog Entries
    Looking great Frank the whole shebang stock buildings scenery you almost hear the Cork & Waterford accents as the crew of the ballast train discuss the upcoming Munster Hurling final at Dungarvan.

I wonder has the District Manager's brother in law who works for the Duke of Devonshire http://www.lismorecastle.com/location taken over local freight operation using redundant D Class from Dublin?

The old Duke built & owned the old Fermoy & Lismore and maybe the Dukes great great great Grandson took it back from CIE and ran it as a short/regional operation in the 1960s?
    Last edited by Mayner; 05-08-2012 at 02:16 AM.
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

Hi Guys,
    I thought it was time to post a few photos to show that we haven't been asleep down here in Cilldargan.
    Thanx to Wennaire the Double-headed Rosslare Express can now be seen pounding through Castlecromerby on its way to the boat for Fishguard ~
    Name:  P1010015 - Copy1.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  95.9 KB
    The Ballast Siding is now in operation and these pictures show ballast wagons being loaded and D.303 shunting the ballast sidings ~
    Name:  P1010099 (2).jpg
Views: 455
Size:  86.5 KBName:  P1010063 (2).jpg
Views: 441
Size:  97.2 KBName:  P1010031 - Copy.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  100.7 KB
    Meanwhile # 190 shunts the Irish Cement Distribution Centre ~
    Name:  P1010137.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  99.5 KB

Finally, I'm very taken with the use of open top containers and plan to represent the Cawoods Coal Trains and the Scrap Containers which ran from Dublin NW to Irish Steel on Haulbowline Island in Cork Harbour.
    Also I like very much the traffic which went to Asahi Chemicals at Ballina. Not so much the special chemical containers, but more the coal and oil trains with the demountable oil tanks and open top coal containers. Even with my 'elasticated' versions of history and geography. Ballina is a bit off my patch so I've Put my muti-million Euro support (doesn't every railway need a fairy-godfather ??? )
    behind a new Courtaulds Man-Made Fibres factory at Waterford which will, like Asahi, receive its Chemicals, Oil and Coal in demountable containers and ship out its products in Bell line ISO Containers.

Here we see B181 hauling a coal and oil train past the East Cilldargan Sugar Beet loading dock which is getting ready for the coming campaign. The two towers were part of an unsuccessful scheme to load the beet using hydraulic lifts, which failed and they've now reverted to the old fashioned trailers tipping directly down into the beet wagons.
    In actual facts, the two towers disguise (hopefully) two of the supports for the IKEA shelving which the railway runs on at this point.
    Name:  P1010116.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  97.1 KB

Ah, sorry about that, got my photo numbers mixed up
    THIS is the photo I SHOULD have uploaded showing # 190 shunting the Irish Cement Diostribution Centre at Castlecromerby ~
    Name:  P1010024 - Copy.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  97.4 KB

Lovely photos! Where is this based on again?

Looking great, nicely photographed as well.