Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First train to Kaikoura since the November 2016 earthquake

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    That really is some achievement. Compare the lengthy closures of the Nenagh branch for relaying seven metres of track, and cutting a hedge!
    Not really a realistic comparison the Main Line North is an important freight route the earthquake and line closure had a $40m cost effect on Kiwirail, IE/CIE have been trying to persuade the Government to let it close the Nenagh line with out success for the last 40 years.

Logistics companies that use rail for long distance line haul work between the North Island and Christchurch such as Mainfreight & Toll NZ are likely to have applied pressure on the government to re-build the line.
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Fair enough; it seems, from various sources, that within the short term, our government will succeed this time......travel to Nenagh while we can.....
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Blog Entries

Locomotive Engineer who was trapped in quake finally makes it through to Christchurch

The driver who was trapped in last years quake drivesthe 1st Southbound revenue earning freight from Picton into Christchurch since the quake
    ehttp://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11922829.

The first through Northbound freight ran through yesterday with traffic for the North Island and wagons for repair in Hutt Works outside Wellington.

Engineer Sullivan's train started its journey departing Westfield Yard Auckland on Wednesday evening with traffic for Bascik, Toll Group, Mainfreight, Owens Transport, Daily Freight and Maersk bound for Wellington & the Cook Straight Train Ferry & the MLN to Christchurch.

https://www.facebook.com/KiwiRailNew...2950495400912/
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.