Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Model shops Memories

Two other very positive memories I have of model shops is one in D'Olier street, Southern Model railways mid 70s, and one in Rathfarnham shopping centre circa 1972ish.

Noonan's in Charleville had an astounding range of toys in the 70's. RC planes, comprehensive Airfix and Matchbox kit range, Action Man and of course Hornby and Lima. I spent many the hour in there when over visiting my gran.

And down the road was Dicks who had a super range of Dinkys. And all this in a small north Cork Town.

Grace's in Dún Laoghaire, though I don't think he did railways, but I remember row upon row of the blue and yellow Matchbox boxes. And of course, the original Southern Model Railway Co in Leeson Street in the 1960s. Nowadays probably a nightclub, then it was an Aladdin's Cave of all things model railway, as well as Minic and books. I got my first railway book there, the 1968 published Irish Railway Album by CP Boocock. Price 30/-, a mind numbing amount for a schoolchild!
    Never trust atoms - they make up everything!

Blog Entries
    I started studying the Triang-Hornby catalogue and picked out my 1st proper trainset a Triang-Hornby South African Goods in Terrys Toy Shop Henry Street when I was 12. During the summer holidays I explored the shops that stocked model railways eventually wearing a track through the city centre between Leeson Street and Monck place.

Besides toy and hobby shops some bicycle/radio/tv shops stocked model railways including Mc Hugh Himself in Talbot Street, a radio/tv shop on Mary Street opposite the Jervis Centre, I came across a treasure trove of old Tri-ang track and accessories including Block Instruments in a shop at the corner of Grafton Street and St Stephens Green.

My horizons widened as I got a bit older to include the Model Shop in Rathfarnham Shopping Centre and occasional visits to George Hannan's shop in Malahide. The shop in the Rathfarnham Shopping Centre was managed by John Byrne who commissioned the first Irish Lima rtr models. Declan Lonegan a talented modeler and former Secretary of the MRSI assisted in the Rathfarnham shop on Saturday afternoons, was very helpful and some times brought along models assembled from whitemetal kits including a GEM LNWR Jumbo 2-4-0

George Hannan was an accomplished Narrow Gauge modeler and artist, who's model of Killybegs was featured in the Railway Modeller during the early 60s also built a 009 rabbit layout with scratch built models of Welsh Narrow Gauge locos and stock.

I went through much the same experience though I had deeper pockets when I moved to the UK in the mid-80 often spending my weekends for the first couple of years visiting model shops and exhibitions in London and the South East.
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

Anyone remember this shop?

Last edited by WRENNEIRE; 1 Week Ago at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayner View Post
    My horizons widened as I got a bit older to include the Model Shop in Rathfarnham Shopping Centre and occasional visits to George Hannan's shop in Malahide. The shop in the Rathfarnham Shopping Centre was managed by John Byrne who commissioned the first Irish Lima rtr models. Declan Lonegan a talented modeler and former Secretary of the MRSI assisted in the Rathfarnham shop on Saturday afternoons, was very helpful and some times brought along models assembled from whitemetal kits including a GEM LNWR Jumbo 2-4-0.
    John, you are triggering all kinds of positive nostalgia memories. Does the nickname of 'Count Drac' ring any bell in relation to Rathfarnham shopping centre? I vaguely remember small in-store scenic layouts including N and Z gauge under glass counter tops, and 00 gauge running around the shop on an elevated shelf just below ceiling level. I remember him being a major Wrenn stockist, and my pilgrimages to the store in the 70s. Noel