Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Omagh Goods Yard

Blog Entries
    Building the layout in OO opens up the option of using modified British RTR locos rather than scratch or kit building GNR prototypes. In the past the GMR/Airfix 4F modified with a round top firebox and canopy cab was used as a basis for the SG Class 0-6-0. Both Hornby & Bachmann produce a 4F, the Hornby loco is based on the 30 year old Airfix tooling complete with tender drive, while the Bachmann loco is more recent with the motor in the loco. http://www.hattons.co.uk/52563/Bachm...ockDetail.aspx

Likewise it might the Hornby T9 with a new cab & 6 wheel tender could be used as a basis for an S Class.

Allow a year and a budget of 250 per loco if you decide to build from scratch or assemble a loco from a kit.

Worsley Works produce scratchbuilder parts for the GNR U & UG locos and underframes sides and ends for AEC & BUT railcars and a number of different coach types. SSM produce kits for the AL 0-6-0, PPs 4-4-0, S & SG Class, K15 & L12 coaches & the 30T goods brake
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

John, I think you're correct on this one. Thanks for the insight into some of the possibilities available.Some thought, research, planning and patience will go a long way in doing this right.

Blog Entries
    At the risk of muddying the waters even further Tony, have you got as far as thinking about couplings?
    A prime issue with them is track radius, for if 3 links are used, then buffer locking with be a real issue on radii below 36".
    Likewise for Jackson's and probably a range of others.
    In 7mm scale, Dinghams are pretty reliable, but being 'handed' are not so good if a turntable is involved. Believe they are ok in 4mm too.
    Any auto coupling involves compromise of course, not least because, apart from Kaydees, they don't look prototypical.
    Whatever you use though, be sure to factor them into your track plans, especially where uncoupling magnets might be sited, or where tight curves could affect reliability of running.
    Whither atrophy?

Garden Shed arrived this evening, bit of landscaping to do around it and insulation. Will keep me busy until the real fun begins.

Name:  IMG_1741.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  169.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1742.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  120.4 KB
    Last edited by TonyMcGartland; 2 Days Ago at 08:09 PM.

At the rear end of the shed I've laid a PVC water channel between the garden shed and garden soil level. A 13" DPC was laid under the shed and folded up to create a barrier. I couldn't clear the soil away any further as there is a large maple at this end. The remaining three sides are clear of all soil or moisture. The plan is to lay pea gravel to the remaining sides to act as soak aways. The shed is raised on a 4" block foundation laid of a sub-base of concrete flags (double protection) so should have plenty of protection from ground conditions.

Blog Entries
    As always, time spent now on preparation should be well worth it in the long run. Enjoy!
    Whither atrophy?

I'm a bit lost for ideas on the baseboards. I'm seriously thinking of building sectional baseboard units at my workplace and have these screwed to some sort of base in the shed. If I ever need to remove the layout or exhibit, I don't need to dismantle.
    Last edited by TonyMcGartland; 20 Hours Ago at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMcGartland View Post
    I'm a bit lost for ideas on the baseboards. I'm seriously thinking of building sectional baseboard units at my workplace and have these screwed to some sort of base in the shed. If I ever need to remove the layout or exhibit, I don't need to dismantle.
    Hi Tony
    This supplier of customised sectional baseboards may be able to assist http://www.modelrailbaseboards.com. Ultra portable and quality especially if you are considering exhibiting as a future option.
    Noel