Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'bogie wagons - container'.
Found 1 result
Bogie Wagons –Container & Timber [This entry was originally posted on the old site.] With thanks to MV038, IE201 and others for their previous posting on the above type wagons. I decided I’ll have to have a go and based the models on what has been already been done by others with a few of my own additions. Collecting Hornby 60’ wagons and cutting the ones down to 47’ for Container use was the first stage. I noted the difficulty in getting a good join between the sawn wagon parts and after a few goes I hit on this method which gave me a “true meet” between the 2 half’s. I placed the 2 parts to be joined on an old steel ruler, applied Epoxy Resin (Z-Poxy 5 –minutes). I used bulldog clips to hold the 2 parts together and other clips to hold the body to the steel ruler to keep it flat. You should end up with a good strong join. Once the first one was completed, it was down to assembly line practice. Buffers were made from plasticard with a brass pipe shaft inside Evergreen Tube 3.2 mm (Code 224). Undercoat and then test run I also included a couple of pocket wagons I had resprayed and identified the potental problem with Dapol and old Hornby couplings. Timber Wagons are more of a challenge. Working from what others had done, along with copies of Wagons drawings (thanks to 3wheeler) and closely examining available photograph I came up with the following construction method. Plasticard with Evergreen Channel 3.2mm (Code 264) 0.4 x 2.0 strips (Code 114) were used. The ends were covered with the 3.2 mm channel. They were heated with a hair dryer to mould into the shape required. I concluded from the drawings that 5 pallets with upright stanchions at each corner where fitted across the body of the 60’ wagons. These were made from plasticard, channel, strips and Evergreen square tube 3.2 mm (Code 252) and then attached to the body. Small piping is placed into the square tubes to bring them up to the correct height. Brake wheels (brass etches from Hursts) were fitted to each side of the wagon. Awaiting more parts before completing the build and moving onto the painting stage. Wagons painted in MIR red Oxide. Wagons loaded Paint and transfers completed. I loaded the containers with lead airgun pellets for weight. Timber wagons painted. Timber loads were built around foam squares to reduce the overweight and to stop these wagons being too heavy. Wagons loaded. Container Wagons in action. Timber train passing. Close up of the pocket wagons. The Wagon Project took a lot longer than I had anticipated and I am happy to move on to my Hunslet rake project.