New Members

Rate this topic

Glenderg

It's great to see a lot of new members in the last week or so posting up and getting involved, and I'd like to offer them all a hearty welcome, and encourage the lads on the ditch to join in :P

Richie.

Yes Richie it great that we are getting new members and I welcome each and every one of them. But to be fair all the new members in the world ain't going to improve things if it's left to the same guys to post up photos of their work, layouts, models, videos etc etc. More and more of the current members on the site don't bother to do this and the site needs to grow along with the hobby. As an example lot of members have recently bought the fabulous MM071/201 models how many bother to put a picture or video up showing it on their layout or even sitting in a glass case. A big round of applause to those who bother and to the rest who don't come on lets see your work, models, layouts etc etc enough talk more pictures.

not a table, ( that would be hilarious) but to get a selection of photos from this site, from as many members, of their work, layouts, tutorials, about 20, not solely Irish but mostly, and assemble them into a poster for the site. Put it up at shows. Whatcha think? We're not RMweb, but at least theres a bit of craic, and you can actually navigate around this site with ease.

Richie.

not a table, ( that would be hilarious) but to get a selection of photos from this site, from as many members, of their work, layouts, tutorials, about 20, not solely Irish but mostly, and assemble them into a poster for the site. Put it up at shows. Whatcha think? We're not RMweb, but at least theres a bit of craic, and you can actually navigate around this site with ease.

Richie.

Some great ideas there mate hopefully the Boss will have an answer for you as it's up to him.

I do have to agree with you regarding RM Web not the most friendly of places and as for navigating the site don't go there there photo gallery is a joke to get around

Richie.

You might need a table for "refreshments".But seriously I think

a stand would be a great idea,along with what Glenderg said

with photos of layouts.It is the nuts and bolts of this hobby

People starting off find hardest to get info on.

Once people see that we are very open and happy to help

with any questions,they will join and enjoy the hobby more.

Welcome to the site to any new folks.

Edited by enniscorthyman

on that note lads, we should look into getting t-shirts made with the IRM logo on one side and our user names on the other. makes for great publicity of the site and also makes us recognisable to all.

it's great to see new members coming on board as it can only benifit the hobby, and seening all the pic's and vid's is a great help, but how will these new members get to know everyone, taking heirflick's suggestion may help, but I've been to the show's in Blackrock, Clontarf, Dun Laoghaire, and Raheny, and the only people I actually spoke to from the site are wrenneire and Dave of Helix / baseboards, so what do you have to do to meet the other members, maybe I could do a demo of burning the boxes in the middle of the hall, confused:

Edited by burnthebox

it's great to see new members coming on board as it can only benifit the hobby, and seening all the pic's and vid's is a great help, but how will these new members get to know everyone, taking heirflick's suggestion may help, but I've been to the show's in Blackrock, Clontarf, Dun Laoghaire, and Raheny, and the only people I actually spoke to from the site are wrenneire and Dave of Helix / baseboards, so what do you have to do to meet the other members, maybe I could do a demo of burning the boxes in the middle of the hall, confused:

A members meet-up could be one possibility, but would require a venue (and bouncers :P).

If organised properly, there could be 'show and tell' sessions, demonstrations, maybe even a guest speaker...

Edited by Garfield

... there could be 'show and tell' sessions, demonstrations, maybe even a guest speaker...

Sounds fierce organised altogether, but I read the word "session" in there too... :banana:

The first thing would be to pick regional groupings, so what we need is an interactive map, where people can anonymously, or openly pin their location. By pinning something on the map, you'd be saying that you would interested in forming up, then we'd know what the story was, how many people are where etc. Thoughts?

Sounds fierce organised altogether, but I read the word "session" in there too... :banana:

The first thing would be to pick regional groupings, so what we need is an interactive map, where people can anonymously, or openly pin their location. By pinning something on the map, you'd be saying that you would interested in forming up, then we'd know what the story was, how many people are where etc. Thoughts?

It would have to be anonymous as I can't see those of us with large collections and layouts advertising our locations on the Internet. Do you think we would want thieves knowing our where abouts as some guys have a lot of money tided up in their collections. As for everyone meeting up in a pub or hotel I think it would be a waste of time as when it comes down to it I think there would be a lot wouldn't turn up and cry off.

Thank you Richie, Anthony and all! I was into model railways when I was much younger but it kind of fell by the wayside due to lack of time, work, patience (haha) etc. I would never have been any good with all the wiring etc and for this, I'm very envious of many of you guys! However, with the advent of digital and different types of underlays, it is obvious now that the whole scene is opening up a bit more.

The main problem for me was the lack of Irish rail stock. However recently, as you said, the launch of the 071's has changed things, along with the availability of the 141's/181's and Cravens before them and this has caused a big comeback to the scene, not just for me and many others with (minute, small, half) previous experience but also to those with no previous interest in railway modelling.

I look forward to learning as much as I can here and getting involved in the daily/weekly chit chat etc, time-permitting of course!

Hello to all!

Thank you Richie, Anthony

The main problem for me was the lack of Irish rail stock.

Welcome to the site Blu Bianco if your looking Irish Rail wagons drop Hiddenagenda a PM as I've yet to see any better built and priced wagons on the market. Truly amazing work and craftsmanship I think Boskonay has some of his wagons if so he might pop some pics up for you.

Do you think we would want thieves knowing our where abouts as some guys have a lot of money tided up in their collections. .

No of course not, do it within a mile, or a few miles, not your exact address. It's to get an idea of regional groupings and numbers. I had to laugh though at the thought of some scobe on Henry street, with a super detailed, weathered, chipped and pimped 201 "twenty yo-ro the tray sets". The horror anto!

welcome blu - you couldn't have picked a better time to jump in, there are so many kit builders, 1offers, converters, kit bashers, out there that you have a choice in some cases of where to get stock, be it freight or passenger. A ramble around the shops and manufacturers forum, and their sites will give you and idea of the eras, stock and accessories available. And if it's not available, there's enough knowledge here to help you build one. Keep us posted:tumbsup:

Richie

• 2 weeks later...
A members meet-up could :-bd

If organised properly, there could be 'show and tell' sessions, demonstrations, maybe even a guest speaker...

Why not have a meet up, in a venue which would be as suitable, convenient as possible for everyone, where we could bring our single most prized item for all to gaze comment on, maybe even leer on, it may be in a hotel, or maybe someone knows a venue which could be hired for the night, there must be a venue / hotel who have this kind of venue available these days for something like this to rent / hire for a day. :-bd

Hello all,

a Friend of mine built some models from etched brass kits in On30 gauge some years ago which looked a bit strange but very nice. To be exact it were an articulated railcar from the former West Clare Railway and one of the 500s locos. A bit later he brougt along two bone-shaped looking orange locos in the "odd" scale of 1/76 and added some waggons with loads of what he called "kegs" on it as he must have seen it near Heuston station on Holidays. This year my girlfried kind of forced me to also have holidays in Ireland which was not the best choice for my wallet as, really by chance, at the end of it we realised there was a show at Raheny. As a result of that and several hours on the internet and reading books now I know a lot more of the bone-shaped locos which are clearly 141 and 181 class. I now can understand that the friend named above was proud to present me a new and longer bone, this time in blue (NIR) colour (112) a few days ago. He got al little bit jealous when I told him I had visited her sisters 8111 and 8113 in the Derry train station a few weeks before. Now I have fallen in love with the irish railways and we plan to model a little show-layout on an irish theme but this will take some time. As I found out many experts are in this forum and as its members in general are very polite, I decided to sign up, hoping you will give advice to a fellow model railroader from the contient, i.e. south-west of Germany. As I am not a native speaker I would like you to forgive my mistakes. Please be shure that I don't want to be rude or offensive but for a foreigner it is quite easy to insult someone without having wantet that. I also will try to post pictures or to describe my progress, becaus I also think that a forum lives from good articles.

Best regards,

Gerhard.

P.S.: One first question: What is the normal way to show pictures here? Loading them up on imageshack and linking them?

Welcome Gerhard,

Your english is already better than most of us - so I am confident you will have no problems! :):)

You can link from imageshack, or just upload the images - there is a 2-3MB maximum, ideally images should be 1024x768 format and around 300-400KB in size.

If you need any help, just ask :)