Barls Workbench

Rate this topic

Barl

I had a Bachmann 150 sitting in its box so I decided to have a go at converting it to look something like a 2700 Railcar. It still needs a good bit of work until its finished, such as the black around the windows, but it's getting there!

2012-06-30183957.jpg

2012-07-02151010.jpg

2012-11-06134209.jpg

2012-11-06134201.jpg

Nice bit of model bashing there Barl. Those Class 150's will look quiet well when they're finished. Closer to prototype than Bachmanns attempt at the 2700 Railcar I reckon. Keep up the good work. Also it's an inpiration to those of us afraid to get stuck into remodelling rtr British outline models into something more resembling Irish stock. Have a similiar railcar project I better be getting on with too. Just a bit daunting getting stuck into it. Keep us posted on your progress. Great stuff:tumbsup:

Tom

• 1 month later...

That's looking damn good Barl. Silver can be a tricky color to get right but you have done a marvelous job. Color separation between the silver and green looks really crisp. The warning panel yellow on the cabs and black outline looks good. I can't wait to see more.

Rich,

• 5 months later...

It's been a long time since I posted anything here but I had some free time recently and I finally got around to finishing the 150 to '2700' conversion. I tried out a few new techniques while painting and also had a few new experiences, such as the black lining so it has been a good learning curve and there are several areas that I know need improvement but I'm still happy enough with it!

2013-06-06120536_zps2f9e636d.jpg

2013-06-06120821_zps46e93ecf.jpg

2013-06-06121251_zps01d0e9f5.jpg

2013-06-06121223_zps70d341f6.jpg

2013-06-06120925_zpsddbbb1c1.jpg

Thanks for the comments lads, they are very much appreciated :) I'll try and answer the questions asked below:

1) The layout is still very much a work in progress! I'm in the middle of doing a civil engineering masters so time is unfortunately very scarce, as many on this site can relate to, and so I haven't really made much progress since I posted up photo's before which can be found here http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/1043-Barls-Layout

2) The grass is simple Noch long static grass from a puffer bottle over a layer of cheap mix of 'saw dust' scatter from the likes of Hornby and Noch. I tried using a static grass applicator I got from ebay but I found the puffer bottle to be much easier and to give better results! In some of the embankment areas a layer of hanging basket liner is placed under the static grass but I'm not sure if this really adds any depth to the scenery?

3) The layout is DCC operated and wired all over. It is controlled from a Hornby Elite controller, which many people would recommend you avoid, but I have never had any issues with and it does the job perfectly for a layout of this size! The points are operated using standard switch and CDU control.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by BosKonay
fixed link

The layout is DCC operated and wired all over. It is controlled from a Hornby Elite controller, which many people would recommend you avoid, but I have never had any issues with and it does the job perfectly for a layout of this size! The points are operated using standard switch and CDU control.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks Barl. The reason I was asking is that I noticed you used insulfrog points like myself. I've got a bit of flack over it from some purists who recommended live frogs but I did'nt want the hassle of wiring polarity switches. Personally, I have no problems with them once the track is cleaned regularly.