New Railway programme starting on RTE 1.

Rate this topic

Flying Scotsman 4472

http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=29247 New 3 part programme starting Monday 12th November at 20.30 -21.00 21st Century Railways.

I hope it its something decent and not hyped up journalistic rubbish.

Thanks for the notice!

That link didn't show for me correctly. Just incase, this may tell us a bit more.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/listings/25976123_tv_21st_Century_Railways

Edited by Blu Bianco

Thanks for the Youtube link gm171 kk.

Its difficult to tell just going on a trailer but I hope theres going to be enough coverage in there of the 121's, 141's/181's and 071's and rolling stock of that era. Occasionally these programmes have a tendency to just focus on what came first, steam, to how it is now, trams and DMU's.

The bit in there showing the old disused station looks interesting too and I hope it shows more of these stations/lines like Foynes and Kingscourt, other than just a quick snippet about the Burma Road or the Listowel Monorail (no offence meant to those lines, they are much treasured, I just mean its because they are some of the most well known and therefore have been covered elsewhere before. They are way too easy candidates for a lazy programme maker to concentrate on for a quick snippet!).

However, it is good to see another Irish train based programme on RTE at long last, TG4 having far outshone them in the interim! 'Off the Beaten Track' seems like such a long time ago now but I hope its repeated sometime, come on RTE!. It would be particularly poignant given the demise of the Rosslare-Waterford route. It was running back when Olivia O'Leary did her show on it.

Complete fluff. No idea who the target audience is

Agreed. It was borderline condescending in places... at one point what the narrator was saying basically boiled down to 'commuters use the Dart to go to work'. Surely 99.9% of the population know what the Dart is and what it's for? I'm all for programmes like this being produced in a way that the general punter can understand, but there's no excuse for that. Also... the 'talking heads' they brought in looked uncomfortable in front of camera, especially Michael Barry. It was hard to keep track of what he was talking about at times.

I agree Pat. Do RTE have any decent footage in their archives. Although Ironing the land had some poorly researched information at least it had a begining, a present, and future look at the railways.

Rich,

The footage is in there... somewhere.

Edited by Garfield

What a load of unmitigated toss! No history, no real substance. It seemed like an exercise in PR (albeit a very poor one).

It was like someone wanted to show what a great railway system we have now.........'Decaying rolling stock' allied to pictures of a class 181 and MK3 coaches, a bit off the mark there!

My 'favourite' line went something along the lines of the (banal) commentator stating the traffic congestion had commuters 'seeking refuge in railcars' (the picture then proceeded to show them squeezed in like sardines, thats some comfort). These railcars are fantastic, aren't they?

As far as the stock photos, and as you have previously mentioned on here, fair enough on the railways side, but when you're going to be using phrases like 'modern day' Dublin, then don't be showing Dublin Bus in their older green liveries, and also the (short lived) cream, orange and navy blue city link livery! I mean, how old is that?

move along lads theirs nothing to see here.

It was very poor, shame prime time TV before the news no wonder they only made three episodes they must have run out of ideas after five minutes it was obvious that they had to pack program out with "fluff".

Can you see it getting any better ?

I agree Pat. Do RTE have any decent footage in their archives. Although Ironing the land had some poorly researched information at least it had a begining, a present, and future look at the railways.

Rich,

And ITL had a truely dire theme tune. I don't know how the late Ronny Drew kept a straight face singing that. I'll catch the new show on RTE Player, but I'll not expect miracles.

It is a general truism that any television programme about something that you have a bit of knowledge of yourself will be disappointingly superficial at best..

I do agree most of the people on this site have a good knowledge of Irish Railways but what they fail to forget is that the program isn't aimed at them. That is why there are Irish railway DVDs on the market for you guys. The program was aimed at joe public who hasn't got a clue about trains and probably found the show quite interesting. Personally myself I enjoyed it something I'd rather be watching than Coronation Street.

I do agree most of the people on this site have a good knowledge of Irish Railways but what they fail to forget is that the program isn't aimed at them. That is why there are Irish railway DVDs on the market for you guys. The program was aimed at joe public who hasn't got a clue about trains and probably found the show quite interesting. Personally myself I enjoyed it something I'd rather be watching than Coronation Street.

I agree with you in a way Anto that this isn't aimed at us, but they should at least get the story straight. Some of the stuff they said was downright misleading!

jesus eamonn - you were dreaming of a 001 while the rest of us were dreaming about Thelma Mansfield announcing the Angelus! - what are you like[ATTACH=CONFIG]3712[/ATTACH]

Ah Thelma Mansfield that's the nick name I called my daughter until she was 5 live at 3 she was awake at 3 every morning 4 hours sleep is all she needed ,the first night she slept we taught she was dead a big fright to get happy days my