Rob's Workbench

Rate this topic

Robert Davies

I'm almost embarrassed to start this 'Workbench'.

Perhaps it'll serve as an example of 'how not to...' ;)

Anywho, on with the bodges:

Kibri Dynamic Stabiliser/ballast compacter/whatever(!)

One day I was thumbing through youtube and found a machine similar to the above part finished bodge up stationed at Kildare. So without any further excuse being needed, my wanderings went over to ebay and found the appropriate Kibri kit in Deutschland - 35 quid lighter, it arrived three days later. It actually goes together well, with the chassis being straight and true (which was nice...). The kit comes with nylon type wheelsets, but there was a further recommendation in the kit's blurb to use Roco DC metal wheelsets - back to ebay Deutschland and another 15 quid lighter, the wheelsets showed up four days later. The kit was built using Revell's equivalent of Liquid Poly glue, very sparingly. The various highlights where painted in, wipers, hydraulic rams, wheels, lights etc., and that's where it's up to at the moment - awaiting a sharp knife to carve up the transfers for application.

-Rob

ps Another unfortunate rail-borne victim will be along shortly(!)

dynam2.jpg

dynam1.jpg

dynam2.jpg

dynam1.jpg

Another post, another victim.

Four wheeled timber wagon

This was knocked together from a collection of bits and bobs:

Shapeways 3D printed body

Hornby 'Norstand' wagon chassis

Alan Gibson 12mm wheelsets (I had a load spare)

Bachmann short couplings

Mr Surfacer surface filler

A strip of lead

Various offcuts of plasticard

Paints and superglue

The odd bit of swearing

When the bodies eventually arrived (Three plus weeks), I primed them as I'd been recommended to, with Mr Surfacer 500 - it's a grey sludge that evens out the surface imperfections (allegedly) in the 3D printed surfaces - It dries bloomin' quickly too! Too quickly if you're asking me....

Anywho, while that was left on one side I turned my minded to miniature powertools, aka 'the Dremel'. The Hornby chassis came equipped with those God awful h-U-G-e plastic couplings moulded into the ends of the chassis. After more careful thought, the Dremel was abandoned for a razor saw, and the couplings were carefully removed, rather than disappearing in a whirr of molten spinning... I digress... The old wheelsets were popped out and the new ones popped in - anote to self - if the layout ever does get built, it will need to be level with wheelsets this free running. I then fitted the new couplings on a block of several offcuts of plasticard. I then replaced the Hornby steel 'weight' with the 'strip of lead'.

Superglue is wonderful stuff in it's place....

So now it was time to attach the body to the chassis, I personally recommend the superglue products of the Loctite brand, it gives just enough manoeuvring time before setting solid, but not quite enough manoeuvring time for me to realise I'd attached my thumb rather too firmly to the underside of the chassis... Now having done this in the past rather more often than I'd care to admit, I've learnt not to panic, but to peel - and with a few choice words, I was free, and with a rather fresh looking thumbprint on the bottom of the chassis - still it won't be seen, and if it is ever stolen (HA!) I can demonstrate ownership....

Paint, rather than slap on red oxide and then weather it, I looked at some wagons in a few pics at North Wall, and noticed that they'd faded to a dull brown colour. So 'dull brown colour' got slapped on my timber wagon victim. Sometime later I was idling though youtube (again!) when I noticed a train of four wheelers waiting in a loop, the wagons were faded, but the 'prongs' or whatever they're called had been freshly topped with a yellow and white stripe top. "Better do mine too" I thought, and I did.

Still needs numbers and such, but there you are, I think it looks well on the rails.

-Rob

shapetimber.jpg

shapetimber.jpg

20 foot four wheel container wagon

Thinking one day that my 20 foot Bell containers from C-Rail were rather too nice NOT to ride the rails, I placed an order with Tom Brady of Irish Freight Models for a pair of his 20 foot Skeletal Container wagons kits. The kits are mixed media plastic and whitemetal kits that any idiot can build, and so it proved :)

The 'chassis' is cast pretty much as one, up on which you attach the rather nicely formed whitemetal detailing. A quality set of metal wheelsets were supplied as were a set of Bachmann couplings - you'll notice the wagons are still missing their supplied numbers, give me time, give me time!

I'll admit the wagons are almost TOO nice to hide under a container, almost :)

The Bell container is exquisite 'nuff said.

That's enough evidence of my bodging for one day ;)

-Rob

20footbell.jpg

20footbell.jpg

Edited by Robert Davies
Wayward attachment

Guest hidden-agenda

First class work and never ever under estimate what you can achieve when you think and try. I dare any person to agree with what you have said as its work benches like this that inspire guys to tackle kits and bend the rule of i cant do it so wont try.Put up more pics as you go along and expect positive comments from all genuine modellers on this site.

Regards Gareth

Under the weather....

I recently got the offer of a Dapol pocket wagon for much cheapness, so I thoughts I'd have a go at weathering...

I mixed up an enamel wash of one part matt black to twenty-ish parts of enamel thinner. I applied the wash, and as it dried I, with a reasonbly dry brush, brushed downwards through the wash to give the impression of rainwash down through the accumulated grime. When it was all but dry I dusted some Tamiya weathering powders across the the sides to pick up on the highlights - and also dusted alittle 'rust' to suggest brake dust. It isn't perfect by a long way but I can see where to improve - the container is factory fresh to highlight the difference between it and the wagon.

Stepping aside for a moment....

I took up modelling the Irish scene for a number of reasons, living in North Wales, I'm nearer Belfast than Cardiff, and I'm nearer Dublin than London(!) - I have a terrible weakness for GM diesels, I wanted to have a crack at building rolling stock, and modelling Irish railways, you don't have a lot of choice in the matter!

I took up modelling for another reason. Some years ago I was a Postman and loved the job, however one day I was held up in an armed robbery - shotguns, machetes, the whole nine yards - and afterwards, despite giving it my best, I got medically retired. Suicidal depression took a serious hold, and my wife suggested I try model railways - a decision we'll look back at and laugh about, one day(!)

A few years ago I used to subscribe to RailExpress magazine in the UK, a 'modern image' magazine that used to devote a four or so page section per month to Irish Railways' news - a section I found myself paying more and more attention too with it's mention of 201s and 071s and 141/181s.... I can't work out what the attraction is between the modern and the dilapidated but the Irish rail network had it in spades.

Moving on still further, I made my way here - the single best thing that stands out here, is that people here are prepared to recognise effort, that people have tried their best.

Because of my depression, I sincerely believe that everything I do is rubbish - I'm not playing for praise, I just see no merit in anything I may have achieved - but there was Anto leaning on everyone to show what we'd all been doing, so it's his fault, and I'm also blaming him! :P

-Rob

pocket.jpg

pocket.jpg

It isn't perfect by a long way

there was Anto leaning on everyone to show what we'd all been doing, so it's his fault, and I'm also blaming him! :P

-Rob

Few things are perfect, but that's plenty good enough.

I believe that the site rules state that most things are Anto's fault.

Dapol Esso rail car*

Dear God! Where do I start!

Shall we just say that this 'kit' has been on the market probably longer than I've been alive (I'm 47). Just about everything plastic-wise in it is bowed, warped or out of true. In the end I made a start by constructing one entire end of the chassis, clamped it, let it set, and twisted the other end to bring it into 'true', glued it, clamped it, and put it on one side. When I came back to it it still managed to develop a twist, but a quick dunk in hot water and a bit of manual tweaking sorted that out. The kit is supplied with some very nice quality wheels.

The tank was glued, trued and fitted, with the holes where the 'Esso' board should be, filled. It all went together quite well after the chassis nightmare.

Paint. Having looked at numerous examples in photos and on youtube, it became apparent that the condition of these wagons is about two shades away from being condemned ie. Rust and filth with a covering of more rust and filth - I threw some paint in the wagon's general direction, and followed that by sneezing some weathering powders over all.

I really ought to get in touch with Weshty to get some transfers sorted out.

-Rob

ps *A good mate of mine worked in the local refinery and frequently admonishes me if I call them 'tank wagons', they're 'rail cars' in proper parlance apparently.

essodapol.jpg

essodapol.jpg

[quote name=Robert Davies;

Because of my depression' date=' I sincerely believe that everything I do is rubbish - I'm not playing for praise, I just see no merit in anything I may have achieved -

-Rob[/quote]

rob, top marks to your wife for getting you into modelling - a great way of using the old grey matter and helping to show your creative side - which is excelent so far! . be proud of what you do, we can all learn from it. its also a great way to pass the time and there is always plenty of banter on here!:)

rob, top marks to your wife for getting you into modelling - a great way of using the old grey matter and helping to show your creative side - which is excelent so far! . be proud of what you do, we can all learn from it. its also a great way to pass the time and there is always plenty of banter on here!:)

Well said Seamus. Rob your contributing to the site by posting up your work so you can be proud of that as well as the great work.=D

Rob,

I'm very impressed by your dedicated approach to modelling, particularly the irish scene, when there's so much off the shelf available to you in Wales. Secondly, i can't help but applaud your honesty in why you got into this madness, and i never thought this forum would have healing properties. We all have crosses to bear, this outlet is a fantastic distraction to real life, i can attest to that.

I'm delighted you've put up your wonderful work - we tend to forget that a photo of a "rail car" ;) model is only about 100mm or 4 inches long, and you're blowing it up to fill a screen for us, much larger than real life scale. The level of scrutiny is always going to be higher than a Chris Nevard type shot from several feet away, and they pass more than muster. To that end, I'd love to see a few more shots of the pocket wagon!

Lastly, this is probably the worst moderated forum on the net, because it doesn't need it. Advice is plenty, craic is only a post away and as seamus often says, the abuse is free. You may discover this next feb around six nations time...!

Keep posting, it keeps the aul' black dog from many our door.

Richie.

Lovely looking stock, Rob. Looking forwards to seeing more.

Do the Kibri Instructions make any mention of a motorising kit, I wonder ?

Frank Savery,

District Manager, CIE Cilldargan.

Thanks Frank, and everyone else who've made comments :D

RE: Kibri motorising instructions.

None whatsoever Frank I'm afraid, which is a little curious in that some of the Viessmann mechanical models, I'm thinking of their motorised tamper in particular, are based on the Kibri kits. Kibri being part of the Viessmann company of course.

That District Manager of the CIE at Cilldargan does seem to get away with a lot :P

-Rob

20 foot four wheel container wagon

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3625[/ATTACH]

Thinking one day that my 20 foot Bell containers from C-Rail were rather too nice NOT to ride the rails, I placed an order with Tom Brady of Irish Freight Models for a pair of his 20 foot Skeletal Container wagons kits. The kits are mixed media plastic and whitemetal kits that any idiot can build, and so it proved :)

The 'chassis' is cast pretty much as one, up on which you attach the rather nicely formed whitemetal detailing. A quality set of metal wheelsets were supplied as were a set of Bachmann couplings - you'll notice the wagons are still missing their supplied numbers, give me time, give me time!

I'll admit the wagons are almost TOO nice to hide under a container, almost :)

The Bell container is exquisite 'nuff said.

That's enough evidence of my bodging for one day ;)

-Rob

Hi Rob,

your numbers were sent last week, let me know if they dont arrive please

Well done on all your efforts !

regards

Tom

Hi Rob,it's great to hear your story and thanks for

sharing.This hobby is great for keeping us all on the

straight and narrow,and keep up the good work.

I think you are like a lot of us and got bitten by the

GM bug.I am a postie myself,and while doing a duty

near Wexford town a good few years ago

saw a double headed baby GM ballast train and nearly

Drove the van into the river Slaney rubbernecking the

Train!.

Eamonn

As the other guys have said, Well done ! As a former postie myself back in the days pre strike, I remember been on the mail wagon in Connolly, not working it ,just taking the bags off .Here's one I saw in Railway Museum in States (Danbury ) Maybe P.Murphy could do up a mail wagon !