Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

Here are some pictures of progress on the layout. On a trip to Ireland recently I picked up the Bachmann Irish station building and signal box which I got me around to build platforms. Thanks to Mayners photo of Tralee tar depot I also built a representation of it.

Edited by BosKonay

Its a nicely observed typical small station with a GNR main line feel to it with that signal box and railcars.

The station building is pretty close in style to Balbriggan or some on the Midland, a couple of vans in the goods yard was pretty typical of the black and tan area.

The layout will represent a section of line between Dungarvan and Youghal from the late sixties to the mid seventies. The intention is to replace the buildings with models of protypes from the Mallow Waterford, possibly Kilmacthomas, line at some point. For now the Bachmann models are so much nicer than the slightly modofied Dapol models on styrofoam platforms which they replace.

Well done Patrick - lovely scene recreated there, the station buildings, platforms and signal box look great. The rolling stock is fantastic and I like the open wagon with the mechanical loader parked in the station area. The oil wagon stabled in the siding adds more atmosphere to the layout.

Here is some information about my layout. In my previous house I was attempting to model Conrail in western Pennsylvania in HO scale in the 1980's in a 10foot by 20 foot basement room. The layout never got beyond baseboards and track mainly because the basement was damp and uninviting and having grown up in Tralee in the sixties and seventies I really didn't have any first hand experience of what I was trying to model. There is a lot to be said for modelling what you know. When Maureen and I moved in January this year, the space available for a layout was a finished windowless room fifteen and a half by nine feet at the foot of the stairs on the bottom level of our split level condo. The room opens off of the hall and doesn't have a door and it was agreed that the layout could spill out into the hall provided the finish was neat and tidy. Thought was given to continue modelling Conrail but it was clear that instead of 20 car freights I would have to settle for a switching layout or a coal branch. I had being checking out the Irish Railway Modellers site for some time and had acquired a Murphy Models 141 and 181 when I realized that an Irish cross country line set in the late sixties to mid seventies, with shorter more frequent trains would be a good option. I considered the North Kerry Line, of which I have fond memories of having traveled on the Listowel goods and beet specials in its last years. I even drawing up a plan for a double deck layout featuring Ardfert and Abbeydorney connected by a helix but reluctantly dismissed this due to the meger traffic. The western rail corridor was also considered but eventually settled on an imaginary link between Youghal and Dungarvin. This would allow me to run oil, manganese and Bell Ferry trains between Cork and Waterford in addition to passenger and mixed freight. The layout is end to end, with one main station with passing loop, a halt with a goods siding and an intermediate siding used for beet loading. The setting will be fall at the start of the beet season. It is planned to run a beet special from Mallow to the main station picking up loads and dropping off empty's along the way.

Track level is 54 inches high and designed for walk around operation. It would have been nice to use code 83 track but I have a load of code 100 from my previous layout and enough demands on my hobby budget. When viewing the layout left is West and right is East. A valance hides the lighting overhead, the intention being to give a diorama effect. Maximum train length is 4 foot, enough for a loco and 4 passenger cars or 10-11 wagons. Control is at present DC using 2 walk around controller's wired for twin cab control using SPDT switches. Ideally the layout will be operated by three operators, one signalman, who will control all movements and two drivers operating trains over the line. Eventually I would like to have wireless DCC with sound!

So far track extends from the East (Waterford) fiddle yard to the viaduct west of the main station. Construction of the peninsula will begin shortly. The photos show the extent of the progress.

Since starting this project I'm having more fun than ever railway modelling and making more progress.

Patrick Maureen sounds like a railway modellers dream wife. The choice of geographical location sounds really cool. I am a Waterford man myself and it was a really picturesque part of the network. Eamonn (Enniscorthy Man) is a wealth of information on this part of the railway and would be delighted to offer any advice.

I wish you the best of luck with it.

Rich,

Any sisters? PIMP

Your out of luck, she has three younger brothers, none railway modellers! While house hunting last year we had a definate idea of what we wanted in a home, space for a layout was one factor. I am very fortunate that Maureen is very supportive of my hobby.

Patrick Maureen sounds like a railway modellers dream wife. The choice of geographical location sounds really cool. I am a Waterford man myself and it was a really picturesque part of the network. Eamonn (Enniscorthy Man) is a wealth of information on this part of the railway and would be delighted to offer any advice.

Thank you very much. It was Eamonn's pictures of the weed sprayer on the Ballincourty branch that got me to consider that part of the country. The scenery on the peninsula of the layout will hopefully reflect the area aruund Durrow and Ballyvoile with a tunnle and retaining wall.

Thank you very much. It was Eamonn's pictures of the weed sprayer on the Ballincourty branch that got me to consider that part of the country. The scenery on the peninsula of the layout will hopefully reflect the area aruund Durrow and Ballyvoile with a tunnle and retaining wall.

Now that sounds good Patrick. I really look forward to seeing this progress. I think it adds a nice bit of interest to a layout to give it a bit of personality by basing it on an actual part of the network. It doesn't have to be a brick for brick exact copy of a scene. Due to unforeseen circumstances I couldn't start my own project this year and 2013 looks to be out of the equation also. Luckily though the lads on here are always showing their efforts so it's great food for thought and a nice way to pass a few hours checking it out.

I will definitely be looking in on your progress on a regular basis.

Rich,