Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

Look forward to your tutorials Patrick, just one point to remember for those contemplating an open top base board. Models do come off the track and they will go down the hole in the open top, only happened to me once, that was yesterday and my GSR B2a plunged 18" onto some shelves below. The shelves won!! and I now have some severe repair work to do. I shall fix some sort of netting to stop this happening again. And yes I do really like the open top concept it"s worked for me for several years.

Mike

Sorry to hijack the thread Patrick, yes my B2a is based on a bachman B1 bought off flea bay well It is the worst running of my split frame locos and I had been doctoring it up and got better running but for some odd reason the rear driver sometimes climb the rail and she took a dive! there may be a picture here. Mike

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19997[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19998[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19999[/ATTACH]

Thanks for all the great comments photos and suggestions. They have made getting rid of my beloved stone walls less painful. More foliage has been added since the last layout photo and now the search is on for small trees and maybe a few evergreens (spruce, pine?) which I have noticed in photos of the area. I am contemplating building a small"Rails Through The West" style diorama with stone walls to illustrate my layout building techniques and present it as a tutorial on the site.

Brilliant just right , love the ferns/brambles.

Don't forget that long grass is more yellow then green

These photos might assist. The "barrier" wagon appears to be no more than a 20' flat, sans container.

Cork Shed in the background?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19949[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19950[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19951[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19952[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19953[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19954[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19955[/ATTACH]

You'll notice the wagon below used to be a magnesite wagon that has had it's chamfered hopper filled in to create a larger hopper. Bit of a mongrel :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19956[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19957[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19958[/ATTACH]

Hope they help somewhat. R.

Super shots, Richie!

I've just been looking through some of the Irish Railfans' News on the RPSI website. It seems that the original consist for the oil and magnesite trains was going to be six oil and 12 magnesite wagons for no better reason than they could discharge six oil wagons at a time!

Stephen

Looks superb!

Wrong line running? Just interested....?

In the third photo the train is on the main line using the platform which has the station building. This seems to have been a common practice at stations where the main line and loop were signalled for bidirectional running even when crossing goods trains. For the first two photos I have no excuse except trying to set up a nice photo!

Edited by patrick

• 3 weeks later...