Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

Lovely work, Patrick.

Can I ask you, I noticed you're sticking with the tension-lock couplers on your stock.

Being from the other side of the pond I thought you would have converted them to Kadees.

Any particular reason you haven't?

No particular reason. They work for now so my limited resources went elsewhere. It is planned to convert to Kadees however, hopefully sooner rather than later.

• 4 weeks later...

bell liner at crossing 2.jpg

Junctionmad is correct in his comments about the level crossing gates. The current ones are adapted from a Wills kit. Replacing the round British style targets with the red X immediately makes them more Irish. An SSM level crossing gates kit is on hand only waiting to be built

bell liner at crossing 1.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hi Patrick. I always get excited when I see a new post from you and your amazing layout! I've looked over the thread on many ocasions from start to finish and it's very inspirational! I see you neighbour Bruce operates trains occasionally. How do your American friends react to the layout? I'm a fan of operational based layouts and I love the concept of ops nights that you see on big american club layouts, but I guess they would find the short trains and minimal scenery and trackwork a curiosity?! Keep posting, I could never tire of pictures of this layout!

Unfortunately my circle of friends and acquaintances over here doesn't include any railway/railroad modelers and the nearest club is 50 miles away. Our neighbor Bruce has a passing interest in railways and enjoys following progress on the layout and operating from time to time. The layout is located in what was originally a windowless storage room at the bottom of the stairs in our split level condo which the previous owner opened up by removing a non load bearing wall and turned into a "multi media room". Maureen agreed that the area could be used for a model railway and continue along the walls of the corridor as long as it looked tidy, hence the valance, fascia and drapes. The aisles are kept clear making it very comfortable to view and operate the layout. When we have company the layout lighting is left on encouraging visitors to take a tour of "the hills of Ireland" as the layout is known in our household and always receives very favorable comments. Most visitors are very surprised at the presentation, expecting an 8X4 foot sheet of plywood with track on it on a table in the middle of the floor!

As regards minimal scenery and trackwork, i don't think this as a curiosity. There seems to be quiet a movement over here towards shelf style switching layouts in recent years and larger layouts with narrow benchwork emphasizing the railroad letting an effective backdrop providing depth.

I am flattered at the suggestion that an article on the layout could be published in a magazine. To be honest I am not a great craftsman. Many of my models are crude imitations. The layout succeeds as a whole (in my opinion) because I try to keep all the elements era appropriate, avoid overcrowding and study prototype photos and model the mundane and typical. I am also an advocate of Allen Mc Clelland's (of Virginian and Ohio model railroad fame) good enough philosophy. The idea is that not all the elements of a model railway have to be super detailed but "good enough" to work together to paint a convincing big picture. shrunk.jpg

shrink.jpg

To be honest I am not a great craftsman.

Rubbish Patrick! You are indeed a great craftsman. Your might consider your layout to have 'minimal scenery and trackwork' but yours is spot on. And while you might consider many of your models to be 'crude imitations' they too are spot on. The images of, for example, the B141 trundling through the rolling countryside with a short goods train perfectly captures to essence of the Irish railway scene in the 1960s / 70s. As such, your layout certainly deserves to be considered for a magazine article.

Patrick. I totally agree with josefstadt and all of the other posts here. I grew up in the era you are modelling, 1970's black and tan A class locos, loose couple goods, single line mechanical staff exchange, etc., I spent all my spare time on a single line section of the MGWR, working the frame, changing the road, locking bars, pulling off signals etc. all under the watchful eye of wonderful signalmen who made my dream come true! Your layout transports me back to those days!. It is an absolute joy to look at it and to see how you have developed it over the years. Its 'minimalist' nature is its strength and joy! You have perfectly captured this era, and as josefstadt says 'you are indeed a great craftsman'! It has atmosphere by the bucketloads! Some day soon I hope to start work on my own model of similar era in the not too distant future. I have a long, long way to go to scale the heights you have already reached, but I will try! Please, please keep posting Patrick! Many thanks indeed. Eamonn

I thought immediately of this layout when looking over some papers tonight and finding a small handwritten note of my father's from a long-ago-forgotten grice in the south east....

"Loco B135, 2 x 4W vans + 2 coaches 9.20 ex Rosslare Harbour, Macmine Junction."

The vans were silver "tin vans". A clue to modellers, all that time ago, of what a typical passenger train was in those times - early 1960s. he mentions that one of the coaches was numbered 2101 - a laminate, I think?

On the same bit of paper he has written details of train times between Newry and Dundalk. This puzzles me, as he doesn't mention Goraghwood - what we NOW know as "Newry" was then Bessbrook station - and it was closed.

signal 2.jpg

signal 4.jpg

Over the last few years I have been frustrated attempting to assemble SSM signal kits mainly due to the difficulty soldering small parts. Since the layout needs 12 signals an easier construction method was needed. Here is what I came up with. Substitute 2mm Plastistruct rod for the brass tube. 2mm square plastic strip is used for the semaphore mount and short sections of L girder is used to support the lamp. The weight arm is brass strip and all the pivots are track nails. Not as close to scale as the orignal parts but much easier to construct.

signal 1.jpg