Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

• 3 weeks later...

I have never been happy with the track arrangement at Glen More. The kickback siding was difficult to shunt and didn't look prototypical. Today I took a deep breath and started ripping up track. The photos show the new track arrangement roughed in to see how things fit.  The Waterford fiddel yard will also be relaid using curved points to extend the tracks from 11 to12 20 foot wagons and a loccomotive.

0411181604a.jpg

0411181604.jpg

0411181607.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Getting there and looking good, I can see loop got longer  by a few inches. Will you ballast as new works or weather it in ? 

Robert  

The track will be painted using Testors rail brown and rail tie brown markers and then ballasted using Woodland Scenics grey blend ballast like the rest of the layout.

On 4/12/2018 at 8:26 AM, patrick said:

I have never been happy with the track arrangement at Glen More. The kickback siding was difficult to shunt and didn't look prototypical. Today I took a deep breath and started ripping up track. The photos show the new track arrangement roughed in to see how things fit.  The Waterford fiddel yard will also be relaid using curved points to extend the tracks from 11 to12 20 foot wagons and a loccomotive.

0411181604a.jpg

0411181604.jpg

0411181607.jpg

The short loop in the goods yard almost seems to have been a standard feature at larger stations on the North Kerry & Burma Road possibly to speed up attaching tail traffic to passenger trains, perhaps the Cork-Waterford AEC railcar passenger attaching an insulated container on a 4 w flat from the local co-op or meat works with urgent traffic for the British Railways Waterford boat. The Dapol Prestwin chassis fitted with a wooden floor looks close enough to the flat wagons used during the early 60s for Guinness and general container traffic.

=John

Some more progress. The inclusion of some rolling stock really brings the scene to life. Track is still only temporally in place. Holes must be cut for Peco point motors and everything must be wired up. A new beet loading bank will be built along the curved siding in thee foreground.

0415181107a.jpg

0415181105.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

A short section of straight track was fitted between the point at the west end of Glen More loop and the point to the goods loop. This got rid so an "S" curve into the goods yard and greatly improves the flow of the trackwork even though it is only about two and a half inches long. Next up will be final adjustment and securing the track, installing point motors and wiring.

0419181201.jpg

0419181159.jpg

0419181158.jpg

0419181204.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

I didn't like the Peco derail on the beet siding at Glen More. It looks nothing like any I had seen on CIE. It finally occurred to me that there were a whole bunch of better ones masquadering as broken points in the scrap box. A few minutes with a rail nippers and a file was all that was required.

0425181916.jpg

• Like 3
  • WOW! 1

That looks much better . The Peco one is I guess too straight for many applications - I have done just this in N gauge before. My office layout uses a peco N one in some sidings due to the track  layout shape and fits well, so do they do have a use . Your version just works and looks a lot better here - horses for courses I guess .

I really like how the layout is progressing and thanks for showing it

Robert   

7 hours ago, patrick said:

I didn't like the Peco derail on the beet siding at Glen More. It looks nothing like any I had seen on CIE. It finally occurred to me that there were a whole bunch of better ones masquadering as broken points in the scrap box. A few minutes with a rail nippers and a file was all that was required.

Brilliant idea

I made a start on the beet loading bank and roughed in the hard standing under the crane to get a feeling for how everything will fit togeather. The goods yard is so much more convenient and more fun to shunt with the new track arrangement. 

0426181318a.jpg

0426181311.jpg

0426181312a.jpg

0426181311a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pleased with the way the signal cabin looked in its new position I got adventurous and though I would put the crane and tar depot on the beet siding and see how a new beet bank would look against the backdrop. This is the arrangement  I'm going with.

0426181908.jpg

0426181907a.jpg

0426181929b.jpg

• Like 2

I think the latest alterations are a big visual improvement and also give the impression of a station serving a market town with a fairly wide traffic basis compared to a small village & juts might have stayed open for freight under Railplan 80.

The beet bank would have started life as a cattle dock possibly with cattle specials running to serve cattle fairs up to the early 70s, the mileage (gantry) siding would have served wagon load traffic basically any traffic not handled in the goods shed, including individual wagons of bagged cement in H Vans, bagged and bulk fertiliser/lime in open wagons, petrol/fuel oil, timber, steel basically anything.

I would be inclined to replace the trap points with a crossover and move the bitumen unloading onto extend the gantry road into a headshunt, so you can position wagons further down the siding without having to disturb the bitumen wagons during un-loading.

John

I am very glad Glen More is now looking more like a busy market town John. That's how I envisioned it from the beginning but didn't pull of first time around. I see your point about putting in a crossover to provide a headshunt for the bitumen depot but I find kickback sidings awkward to shunt and getting rid of one was a big reason to rebuild. 

Hi ,

An interesting set of changes  I like the idea of moving the signal cabin and goods shed ideas. - you will be able to fill the cabin with a frame and token instruments ...  

Will having the overhead crane at the front risk damage ?   I also wonder if the beet platform over weighs the scene  if it were shorter and narrower it would allow the bitumen buildings to return to back corner and suggest the developing beet traffic "competing"  for space. 

I can see having the crane front provides a look around view blocker but would a tree or two provide a "soft" option.  

Whatever you go with I am sure will work and look very good 

Robert 

5 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Will having the overhead crane at the front risk damage ?   I also wonder if the beet platform over weighs the scene.

The crane  will remain free standing so it can be removed if need be. It will simply topple over if accidently hit, it is quite sturdy. The beet loading bank should be less conspicuous once the scenery has been worked in around it. 

Heavens, Patrick - don't hide the beet bank, for when you park my corrugated wagons beside it it's the best advert I could possibly ask for!

My eagle eye noted a lack of builder's plate on your bauxite "H Van". Did I not send you them with the kit (s)?

They were an after thought - Steve at Railtec did them so well for my little ballast flat that I had them made (with appropitate numbers) for the "H"s as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

My eagle eye noted a lack of builder's plate on your bauxite "H Van". Did I not send you them with the kit (s)?

You did send them Leslie, they arrived separately after the vans were built and put into service. The decals will be applied to the flat wagons too at some point. They were rushed into service as soon as the paint had dried!

John Mayner's comment about moving the bitume to a spot where tank wagons need not be moved during shunting movements led to it being relocated to the end of the siding. A short section of track between the hard standing and the bitumen depot will be embedded in gravel to allow road acess and should make a nice scene. 

0427181049a.jpg

0427181049.jpg

0427181053.jpg

• Like 1

We are expecting a lot of visitors over for a house party this weekend so I did some work to enable through trains be run for display. Three of the four planned tracks in the Waterford fiddle yard were temporally laid. The fourth will be put in when I source a curved point. A few other changes have also been made. The point for the siding for the crane and bitumen depot has been moved closer to the passenger platform and the siding itself has been moved about a quarter inch in towards the baseboard edge. Previously all four parallel tracks in this area were equidistant. The result looks looks far more,natural, at least to my eye. The beet loading bank was also shortened by about four inches. A few details were thrown in and we can now run trains again!

0503180159b.jpg

0503180156a.jpg

• Like 6