patrick

Patricks Layout

I like the platform Patrick. Bantry station platform next on my list-this gives me food for thought!

A desolate scene West of Glen More where track has now been lifted.

0411181301.jpg

0411181341.jpg

• WOW! 1

8 minutes ago, patrick said:

0411181341.jpg

Oh no - surely it's not going to become a greenway? 🚲 🚲

Posted (edited)

I have never been happy with the track arrangement at Glen More. The kickback siding was difficult to shunt and didn't look prototypical. Today I took a deep breath and started ripping up track. The photos show the new track arrangement roughed in to see how things fit.  The Waterford fiddel yard will also be relaid using curved points to extend the tracks from 11 to12 20 foot wagons and a loccomotive.

0411181604a.jpg

0411181604.jpg

0411181607.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 1

Getting there and looking good, I can see loop got longer  by a few inches. Will you ballast as new works or weather it in ? 

Robert  

On 11/4/2018 at 8:21 PM, patrick said:

0411181301.jpg

0411181341.jpg

Damn!! Todd Andrews at his work again......!

He'll be shutting the West Cork and the Harcourt Street lines next!

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Getting there and looking good, I can see loop got longer  by a few inches. Will you ballast as new works or weather it in ? 

Robert  

The track will be painted using Testors rail brown and rail tie brown markers and then ballasted using Woodland Scenics grey blend ballast like the rest of the layout.

On 4/12/2018 at 8:26 AM, patrick said:

I have never been happy with the track arrangement at Glen More. The kickback siding was difficult to shunt and didn't look prototypical. Today I took a deep breath and started ripping up track. The photos show the new track arrangement roughed in to see how things fit.  The Waterford fiddel yard will also be relaid using curved points to extend the tracks from 11 to12 20 foot wagons and a loccomotive.

0411181604a.jpg

0411181604.jpg

0411181607.jpg

The short loop in the goods yard almost seems to have been a standard feature at larger stations on the North Kerry & Burma Road possibly to speed up attaching tail traffic to passenger trains, perhaps the Cork-Waterford AEC railcar passenger attaching an insulated container on a 4 w flat from the local co-op or meat works with urgent traffic for the British Railways Waterford boat. The Dapol Prestwin chassis fitted with a wooden floor looks close enough to the flat wagons used during the early 60s for Guinness and general container traffic.

=John

Some more progress. The inclusion of some rolling stock really brings the scene to life. Track is still only temporally in place. Holes must be cut for Peco point motors and everything must be wired up. A new beet loading bank will be built along the curved siding in thee foreground.

0415181107a.jpg

0415181105.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

Patrick, this all looks very pleasing. Sometimes I just don't take the time to look at other modellers layouts on this forum and say - well done, its nice to see your layout too!

I like the inclusion of the catch point on the siding, something that’s often overlooked in modelling. 

Paul

A short section of straight track was fitted between the point at the west end of Glen More loop and the point to the goods loop. This got rid so an "S" curve into the goods yard and greatly improves the flow of the trackwork even though it is only about two and a half inches long. Next up will be final adjustment and securing the track, installing point motors and wiring.

0419181201.jpg

0419181159.jpg

0419181158.jpg

0419181204.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

Good move that short length of straight in between two curves going in the opposite directions. I read about doing that in one of Model Railroader’s layout planning supplements many years ago.

Stephen