Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

The 12 ton ex GN van's are from Parkside Dundas. These kits come with two different ends and I use the end with the smaller sprung buffers. The other ends with the larger hydraulic buffers are then used with the Parkside Dundas palvan kit to make the sliding door vans. According to "The Locomotives of CIE and NIR" these wagons were built with three different ends but I dont ever recall seeing ends similar to those supplied with the kit. I dont know for sure but from the photos I'v seen the corrugated ends seemed most common. A little carving on the lower inside of the corrugated ends is needed to make it work. The doors are built from thin plasticard sheet and strip and the vac brake fittings are omitted. I dont have drawings, just consulted photos. The end result is a very distinctive Irish wagon.

top marks on them, they really look tghe part!

• 2 weeks later...

Recent progress on the layout involved painting the backscene behind the road overbridge at Grange station and building the goods store and loading bank. This is my first effort scratchbuilding a structure. The roof is not yet finished. The model is based on the store at Tallow Road on the Mallow Waterford line, the demensions estimated from photos found online. The model is built from foam core board covered with styren stone sheet. A similar model will be built for Glen More station. I plan to add windows to the ends as soon as I find sutable ones somewhere.

IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

Patrick. Excellent work. You have really created an atmosphere! It's the little things that count like the telegraph poles and the banking on the curves which sets it off. And besides, anybody who has a Sandy Denny album in their collection already knows the meaning of quality and good taste! Looking forward to seeing more of this. You are definitely inspiring me to get up off my proverbial and do something! Eamonn

• 3 weeks later...
Actually, I see that it's the Metcalfe one ...

Thats correct. Its a nice kit but I have mixed feelings about it. It was chosen to reflect the atmosphere of the Mallow Waterford line. The orignal intention was to use two kits to make a longer viaduct but the space available was too short. The stone colour is also wrong for the region and the arches are about half the lenght of those of the Kilmacthomas viaduct. I decided to use just one kit to represent a smaller bridge rather than on oviously (to me) too small version of a large viaduct.

Progress on the layout has been slow in the last few weeks and I havn't posted anything since my digital camera died. The platforms at Grange are under almost finished and an Athearn SD9 underframe has been shortened to fit a SSM Sulzer. I will post some photos as soon as a camera becomes available.

• 3 months later...

Not much work has been done one the layout in the last few months but it is being operated. A sequence timetable is used where we run two passenger and one goods train each way representing the trains through Grange and Glen More during daylight hours. The whole sequence takes a little over an hour to run. It is mid October and the beet season is just beginning, the crop being sent to the Mallow sugar factory. The following pictures show the progress of the Cork Waterford goods which is distributing empty beet wagons today. One load of beet is picked up at Grange and forwarded to Glen More where it will be picked up along with the other loads by the Waterford Cork train. Along the way it crosses the Waterford Cork railcar at Grange and is passed by the Cork Rosslare train at Glen More. The guy with the beard is my neighbor Bruce, who would prefer to be running B&O articulated steam locos hauling coal hoppers!

Cork Rosslare pass leaves G M.jpg

shunting GlenMore.jpg

Cork Rosslare arraives at G M.jpg

Cork Waterford goods shunts Glen More.jpg

bruce with Cork Waterford goods..jpg

meet at Grange.jpg

shunting Grange.jpg

cork waterford goods at Grange.jpg

1374844722059.jpg

Here are a few more photos from the operating session showing the Waterford Cork goods picking up beet at Glen More station and Keily's Cross before proceeding to Grange where it crosses the Cork Waterford passenger train. Keily's Cross was inspired by the photo of Belleville in "Rails Through the West" taken by David Carse. I have always been fascinated by these remote sidings which were scattered throughout the Irish rail system and came to life during the beet season. Since the siding can only be shunted by westbound trains, empty wagons have to be dropped off at Glen More and backhauled by the west bound train for loading. This adds an interesting wrinkle to operation. When enough Open wagons are built a beet special will be run from Cork to Glen More and return to handle the traffic.

The layout is mostly operated by myself running trains in sequence but it is more fun with a second or even third operator. With three people available the goods trains have a two person crew, driver and guard/shunter. The third operator runs the passenger trains. Despite the lack of signals the layout takes on a life of its own when operated, the trains become "real" with a purpose instead a collection of models. The height of the layout and walk around design make the railway accessible and easy to operate.

1374844442381.jpg

keilys cross.jpg

picking up beet at Keilys Cross siding.jpg

Waterford Cork goods picks up beet at G M.jpg

I made some changes to the track alignment at Glen More. The curved point at the east end of the station was the source of occasional derailments. It was replaced with a regular point and the problem has been solved. The point for the beet loading siding was also moved west to the end of the passenger platform. The changes can be seen in the video.

I'm still trying to figure out the video editing tools so the passenger train is shown twice!

• 1 month later...