SSM Sulzer 101

Rate this topic

Weshty

Yep, he made it quite clear he wasn't impressed with British diesels. It's even more astonishing that CIÉ decided to persevere with the order considering that Bulleid would've seen a lot of the UK diesels close up at the end of his time with British Railways (and had two prototype diesel locos of his own built)...

Are things any different now Pat. Getting back to the kit it will be great to see some finished samples.

Rich,

The instructions will include as much detail as possible in terms of the different liveries. Remember the SSM strapline, "everything included, apart from paint and labour"!!.

And a coffee for the late night builders.

Did you ever build any MTK kits Gareth. Colins strapline was hammer and nails required. I think he also called them the El Crappo range. Des's masterpiece looks fantastic. Gareth pm me your email adress and I will send you the pics of the bogie wagon flat underframes I promised.

Rich,

Yep, he made it quite clear he wasn't impressed with British diesels. It's even more astonishing that CIÉ decided to persevere with the order considering that Bulleid would've seen a lot of the UK diesels close up at the end of his time with British Railways (and had two prototype diesel locos of his own built)...

From what I read the Irish government would not allow

the spending of so much US dollors on locos at the time.

Probably some trade agreements kicked in to.

Maybe even some decals to complete the livery, such as the white area above the windows on the front of the cab on the black livery? :rolleyes:

Decals will be included. Regarding the white bit, I'll probably just include a template or suchlike. Given it's a compound curve, no decal would really do the job.

Edited by Weshty

At the time most British and American Export locos would probably have been too heavy for CIEs needs, thoe light weight GMs did not arrive until the early 1960s.

The A Class was basically a very good loco with a crappy engine equally capable of fast passenger work and low speed lugging on heavy freight work.

The most interesting thing about the B101 Class is that BRCW used the engines and possibly electrical system from a cancelled 1948 order for 6 twin engined diesels for the Cork Line. Goodness knows what these would have looked like but the idea was pretty much in line with contemporary GM E Units, at the time someone in CIE was heavily influenced by the states and there were plans for a single ended A Unit and a luxury train presumably a streamliner for the tourists, quite a contrast to ancient looking GSWR stock in the train at the adjoining platform :)

The order seems to have been cancelled as a result of political pressure and the engines stored for several years before being used in the B Class.

John

• Like 1

Off topic I know, but there was a tale told about a kit maker in the UK some years ago who's kits were notoriously bad for fitting together, which required substantial sanding and grinding to fit, all to the point that when the chap passed away, the craic was that when they put him into the coffin, nobody could get the lid to fit.

At the time most British and American Export locos would probably have been too heavy for CIEs needs, thoe light weight GMs did not arrive until the early 1960s.

The A Class was basically a very good loco with a crappy engine equally capable of fast passenger work and low speed lugging on heavy freight work.

The most interesting thing about the B101 Class is that BRCW used the engines and possibly electrical system from a cancelled 1948 order for 6 twin engined diesels for the Cork Line. Goodness knows what these would have looked like but the idea was pretty much in line with contemporary GM E Units, at the time someone in CIE was heavily influenced by the states and there were plans for a single ended A Unit and a luxury train presumably a streamliner for the tourists, quite a contrast to ancient looking GSWR stock in the train at the adjoining platform :)

The order seems to have been cancelled as a result of political pressure and the engines stored for several years before being used in the B Class.

John

Export models like GM's G8 were available at the same time, John, but I think that discussion is for another thread...

I think the only reason the B class order went ahead in the end was because CIE were told to do something with the engines or BRCW would dispose of them because they were taking up useful storage space.

Off topic I know, but there was a tale told about a kit maker in the UK some years ago who's kits were notoriously bad for fitting together, which required substantial sanding and grinding to fit, all to the point that when the chap passed away, the craic was that when they put him into the coffin, nobody could get the lid to fit.

Same bloke who made MTK and El Crappo.

True story, he was not a small man.

Regards

Joe

Export models like GM's G8 were available at the same time, John, but I think that discussion is for another thread...

I think the only reason the B class order went ahead in the end was because CIE were told to do something with the engines or BRCW would dispose of them because they were taking up useful storage space.

I think CIE would have incurred a financial penalty for cancelling the order as the engine equipment had already been built, so they decided to swallow it and store the engines for future use.

I may be wrong, but were'nt they stored in Dalkey for a while?

Edited by irishthump
Spelling

I think CIE would have incurred a financial penalty for cancelling the order as the engine equipment had already been built, so they decided to swallow it and store the engines for future use.

I may be wrong, but were'nt they stored in Dalkey for a while?

There was a piece on the whole fiasco in a paper by Dan Renihan in one of the IRRS Journals during the late 70 early 80s. Basically the Government forced CIE to cancel the order when the company was nationalised, but accepted the engines and possibly electrical equipment and stored them to avoid financial penalties.

The B101s were probably a superior locomotive in terms of engine, electrical system, braking and running gear compared to the Yanks and Bo Bos, their low power to weight ratio compared with the GM locos was probably an advantage in working heavy freight and passenger trains in poor rail conditions.

CIE seem to have got it right in combining the excellent Swiss Sulzer engine and Metrovick electrical system in both its original Inchacore built and the Birmingham Sulzers.

Most of the problems with the BR Sulzer Type 2s were down to problems with the Brush & GEC traction motors which were not really suitable for freight locomotives.

The Metrovick electrical system was considered very good the 001 had no problems in hauling heavy freights up the gullet from Islandbridge Junction or out of Cork, while the 121,141 & 071 classes are considered slippy, the less said about the suitability of the GM bogie for passenger work the better :rolleyes:

They originally seem to have been worked hard on Top Link Passenger duties on the Cork Line and Rosslare-Cork Boat trains, then concentrated around Waterford and Limerick on freight duties as the B141s took over main line passenger links. I vaguely remember seeing Black B101s in the early 70s on Heuston-North Wall transfer freights and on parcel trains at Dunlaoire.

• 2 months later...
hows the project commimg along des..any update?

Yesterday I received the finalised brass detailing to be included with each kit. The original prototype needed some tweaking to get right so quite happy with the redesign and the production of same has come out nicely. The detailing kit includes:

Cab interior (desk, floor and seats)

Chassis Floorpan

Athanor and Hornby bogie supports

Old and new style side grills

Roof Grill

Coupling hooks

Coupling backplate

Window frames

Rooftop walkways.

The parts for the whitemetal components have also been finalised and sent off last week

Bogies

Buffers

Vacuum pipes

Cab roof ventilators

Fuel Tanks.

The entire kit should be available in the next 5-6 weeks.

Lads,

Further update. The Sulzer 101 sub-master is winging my way for review from the manufacturers. Once that has been finalised we are 4-5 weeks from kit availability.

Regards

Weshty

Great news Weshty, any chance of some pre production models to keep the appetite wetted?

Did you ever build any MTK kits Gareth. Colins strapline was hammer and nails required. I think he also called them the El Crappo range. ....

"el-Crappo" was the name given to the 7mm scale MTK kits. And they were.

'tis said that Colin Massingham never ever consulted a drawing or took any measurements - he allegedly just looked at a few photos and did everything by eye. Should have gone to Specsavers.

Guest hidden-agenda

I had one of the MTK 201 kits and it sat for years in a box before i plucked up the courage to dump it, it now lives in the same box in Newry and i dont miss it. I never ever measured it and i dont want to and god bless PM for helping me with my affliction as i it looked rougher than some of the MILS you hear about.

Anyway back on topic this is what i saw on the SSM website and it looks well Des.

K28.jpg

K28.jpg

I had one of the MTK 201 kits and it sat for years in a box before i plucked up the courage to dump it, it now lives in the same box in Newry and i dont miss it. I never ever measured it and i dont want to and god bless PM for helping me with my affliction as i it looked rougher than some of the MILS you hear about.

Anyway back on topic this is what i saw on the SSM website and it looks well Des.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2527[/ATTACH]

Certainly looks the part Des!

At the time Mike Cole (Q Kits) and MTK more or less pioneered modern traction modelling, unless you can actually go out and measure the prototype there is a lot to be said for Colin's approach the official drawings are often an indication of the designers intent rather than anything else, I have a CIE GA of a Beet double that is nothing like what was actually built.