SSM brakevan

Rate this topic

Sentinel281

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, glad you like the van.

Nelson, the weathering is Carrs rust and mud dry powders; another first for me! and I also used Micro Marks Window glaze, it looks very much like pva adhesive when wet but dries clear. But it worked very well.

What I didnt say, was that I glued the roof to the Evergreen strip that was Acc"d to the curve of the roof.

Mike

Very nice work on the van Mike, the roof treatment is a cracking idea.

I'm not familiar with solvaset, but I reckon that a coat of sealer/varnish should be enough to blend the surface of the model with the lip of the decal so that the weathering powders don't catch on the decal in future. Perhaps a thinned coat of the grey airbrushed on around the outside of the decal would soften the edge, holding a bit of card over the numbers and let the overspray do it's thing? R.

Thanks for that idea Glenderg I"ll give it a go! i must admit to using the weathering powder before sealing the finish. Even tried a bit of abrasion with the fiberglass pen which did not work! Thats when I got into the "thats as good as it gets attitude!" But will try the light overspray with some light grey.

Mike

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I have been working on the SSM model and am near to finished. Has anyone run these models, I am not sure if it has enough weight. It's my first brass kit and I used supper-glue to build it. Should I add a weight inside the van?

The models above are superb, and great encouragement for us with less experience.

Leo.

I have been working on the SSM model and am near to finished. Has anyone run these models, I am not sure if it has enough weight. It's my first brass kit and I used supper-glue to build it. Should I add a weight inside the van?

The models above are superb, and great encouragement for us with less experience.

Leo.

I have the SSM kit and looking forward to making it when I get the time.

• 3 months later...

one thing I would add to the list when using a glassfibre brush is a pair of fine neoprene car mechanics disposable gloves, it stops the glassfibre getting into the skin (you normally get 50 pairs to the box) DIY chains do them if you can't find them anywhere else.

Colin

• 4 years later...
6 minutes ago, the Bandon tank said:

Des does not seem to respond to e-mails any more. I wanted to buy some bits and pieces and sent him a couple of e-mails about a month ago. No answer. A pity.

Recieved an order from Des just last week. SSM is still operating as normal.  

• Like 1

Des can be a bit slow responding to emails, can you maybe phone him?. The SSM kits I have built, the CIE brake van and the Bandon Tank go together very well, just take your time and understand what you are going to do. I always try to solder metal kits, only resort to glue as a last resort!

• Like 4

On 27/11/2021 at 8:18 PM, the Bandon tank said:

Des does not seem to respond to e-mails any more. I wanted to buy some bits and pieces and sent him a couple of e-mails about a month ago. No answer. A pity.

his eircom.net email changed to gmail.com- that's why 

Edited by DartStation
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/11/2021 at 11:06 AM, Colin_McLeod said:

I'm coming late into this thread but I am looking for one of these brake van kits. Are they still available?

On 26/11/2021 at 11:51 AM, DartStation said:

You would need to check the SSM website Studio Scale Models Freight models (studio-scale-models.com) to confirm or email Des if he still has them in stock.  

On 26/11/2021 at 1:23 PM, Colin_McLeod said:

Thanks. E mail sent.

Got a prompt reply to my e mail. Order placed and kit received. Now the ball is in my court to build it.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

• Like 2