IE CCTV Cameras and Irish Telegraph Poles

Rate this question

FrankS

Question

G'day all,

A somewhat unusual request PIMP

I wonder If anyone can oblige me with a couple of photos, please :trains:

I'm looking for a photo which shows a fairly typical CCTV mast and camera at an IE station - To get an idea for modelling them on my 'modernised' stations.

also, I'm looking for a photo which shows a typical Irish lineside telegraph pole to give me an idea for 'out in the country' - just in case they are significently different in appearence from English ones.

Thanx, much appreciated,

:tumbsup:

20 answers to this question

Frank

All lineside poles were supplied by the P&T so they would be no different from normal roadside poles

Obviously size differs from place to place but an out it the country pole would normally carry 12 - 24 lines, nothing out of the ordinary

Dapol do some in kit form

http://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/images/dapol/c024-telegraph-poles.jpg

And here's one on a lamp-post, as Garfield said..

Vr7GB.jpg

There used to be a picture of a telegraph pole in the Ballybrophy section of Eiretrains, but it's not on the site now. It would have been behind this new shelter. That was a monster pole, most of eighteen inch diameter at the bottom..

All the poles have been removed from there now.

Here it is in a different picture.

6033163545_7562370061.jpg

Edited by Broithe

CCTV would have been unknown in rural locations 10-15 years ago, they're everywhere now. They're also seen mounted on poles monitoring level crossings.

I've seen white plastic CCTV cameras, usually fixed to buildings or on a pole, that swivel around, probably with a motion sensor.

Open to correction but the P&T poles with the monkey-load of wires would be disused with +20 years, but remained in place for a while before arbitrary removal. I'd say they're all cut down by now, sometimes the lads just chop them down and leave them there rather than carting them away.

Was running late so didn't get a chance to take any photos of CCTV cameras in the end... however, just as the train rolled into the platform, I took a snap of another subtle feature found at all stations nowadays: emergency lighting.

2d2drhw.jpg

Not something that's often seen on layouts, even though the boxes are usually found on every other lamp-post...

Thanx Guys, much appreciated :-bd

The photos confirm what I suspected, that the CCTV cameras produced by Bachmann (http://www.ehattons.com/stockdetail.aspx?SID=32910

are going to be swines to mount on a pole, as the mounting bracket is on top rather than underneath :(

I'll have to see how it goes when I get a packet.

Fortunately, Des Sullivan has introduced his Irish single track level crossing kit at just the right time, and my 'modernisation programme' will be able to stop at one level crossing, the remainder remaining 'old fashioned' :cheers:

Was running late so didn't get a chance to take any photos of CCTV cameras in the end... however, just as the train rolled into the platform, I took a snap of another subtle feature found at all stations nowadays: emergency lighting.

2d2drhw.jpg

Not something that's often seen on layouts, even though the boxes are usually found on every other lamp-post...

An IR-era tubular steel nameboard, can't be many of those left now!

Rather bizarrely, in a number of locations, eg Mallow/Cobh/Killarney the fairly new White/Orange/Black IE signage was replaced with signage with dark blue background and white lettering.

I can understand a move away from the orange/black but this scheme doesn't really match anything.:confused:

Hard to spot from a moving train in darkness/poor light as well.

I was in Mallow on Saturday, and I wouldn't say they have "replaced" the signage - just added a lot more. They have signs going back to CIE/supertrain era[fair play to them] Connolly is now festooned with this mish-mash corporate blue guff also, cos some Risk Assessment clown is afraid someone will wander off a platform if the distinction between orange and white can't be read, so BLUE and white arrived. Madness. Leave us a little bit of orange, for crying out loud....

Rather bizarrely, in a number of locations, eg Mallow/Cobh/Killarney the fairly new White/Orange/Black IE signage was replaced with signage with dark blue background and white lettering.

I can understand a move away from the orange/black but this scheme doesn't really match anything.:confused:

Hard to spot from a moving train in darkness/poor light as well.

I was in Mallow on Saturday, and I wouldn't say they have "replaced" the signage - just added a lot more. They have signs going back to CIE/supertrain era[fair play to them] Connolly is now festooned with this mish-mash corporate blue guff also, cos some Risk Assessment clown is afraid someone will wander off a platform if the distinction between orange and white can't be read, so BLUE and white arrived. Madness. Leave us a little bit of orange, for crying out loud....

There are supposed to be changes to corporate branding (including a new logo) on the way, so there'll be even more variety soon enough!

One aspect of our railways that I loved in the IR and early IE era was the orange and black liveries. I never really minded the Galway livery. The BR blue era was very similar in a lot of respects also. Privatization in the UK ruined the rail scene for a lot of enthusiasts and even though at this moment our railways aren't privatized, it does look like it has been over the last four years.

At least we have our models to recreate our favorite era.

Rich,