Glenderg's Projects

Rate this topic

Glenderg

I can almost hear the lad with the crutch, rattled with the DTs, shuffling up to you and asking

"Fugga, sorry bud, wouja, wouja have any cheyange dhere playazz?"

Hahahaha yes excellent! "Ahhh, wha' are ye arrestin' me foooor, Ine joost staaaandin' heeeeyer!"

O Gauge G613 currently in the paint shop. Should be seen on Dorset Junction soon, possibly Easter in Wexford

Not often stuff arrives at my door in an aluminium flight case without a pair of russian/south american heavies accompanying the goodies. This time it was just wrenn, with a sratchbuilt 0 gauge G Class, in all over black without markings, windows, nor decent budget.

IMG_20140314_220911.jpg

Have a nice flight dave. Am sure she'll still be here when you get back.... (taking offers...)

R.

IMG_20140314_220812.jpg

IMG_20140314_220822.jpg

IMG_20140314_220851.jpg

• 1 month later...

Lads, apologies for not being so active on the forum this last while. It seems I've dropped out of the habit of taking photos as I go, so it's hard to put together a useful post. But I found one!

Riversuir of this parish many months ago mentioned how he wanted to tackle the MKIII Restaurant, something that is usually a "spray and pray" affair. Windows all wrong, in fact barely close to the irish prototype, but I reckoned there was an alternative way to tackle it. Here goes:((

DSCF8388.jpg

Bog standard MKIII as provided by Warbonnet.

DSCF8389.jpg

Remove interior glazing, seating, and all overscale window frames that sit on the outside...

DSCF8390.jpg

Fill up the last four windows..

DSCF8393.jpg

DSCF8394.jpg

Cook for a few hours. This is where I forgot to take any more snaps, but I filled the bits with filler and after sanding and painting the seats a sort of "off purple/blue" ended up here.

DSCF8515.jpg

DSCF8516.jpg

Bit more sanding as the Lima roof to body joint is fairly prominent. Added the vents too from styrene sheet sanded down.

DSCF8520.jpg

This is where innovation comes in! I designed this little paint guide for MKIII's that ensures my masking tape goes on at the right level to match the windows and is straight and level every time. This is the version I did where it's a full white band in the middle and I fill in with Black.

DSCF8521.jpg

DSCF8522.jpg

DSCF8525.jpg

Penguin claw on the left....

DSCF8558.jpg

DSCF8559.jpg

So I have a coach with a few important windows missing and a decal on the side. Not a restaurant it makes...

DSCF8560.jpg

Tried the Humbrol Gloss Varnish at this stage, and I the whole coach "bloomed" white - too much water vapour - and re-decaled and sorted.

DSCF8561.jpg

This is where I came up with another innovation which you may have spotted on Kirley's workbench. A glazing solution, which I hope to make available shortly to other scratchbuilders.

It consists of a machine cut and etched 0.12mm clear glazing panel that sits on the outside of the coach, much like the real deal. It even has the scale rubber trim around the outside. So this is how "Azyglaze™" works in practice having applied them to the right parts of the coach.... :)

DSCF8562.jpg

DSCF8567.jpg

The same principle applied to the weird and wonderful "Cafe/Bar" coach

DSCF8568.jpg

DSCF8569.jpg

DSCF8570.jpg

An almost full rake of "tweaked" Lima MKIII's along with my babies, including a scratchbuilt EGV in the foreground.

DSCF8571.jpg

Coming soon - Ballast ploughs, and the 12 month trial and error of design that went into manufacturing the above pair, and reproducing them over and over again. :tumbsup: Warts and all...

Richie.