Glenderg's Projects

Rate this topic

Glenderg

Fab job with those NI coaches Richie. A lot of TLC in motion there!

Funny thing is I love those donor coaches with the big chrome painted frames, I remember manys the time pouring over the Hornby catalogues in '82, and could only dream of owning them!

How far we've all come.

I know, 2 updates in one week is wrong, but I think it's warranted....

About 18 months ago myself and weshty of SSM entered into a discussion about 42' flats. I built one in styrene and gave it to Des for inspiration. After all the stories about tweaks, redesigns, etching processes, and whitemetal spinning, an envelope arrived Monday morning, containing this...

IMG_0285.jpg

Now the whitemetal bits are yet to be finished, so I said I'd put it together commando - no instructions. I'd find out any tweaks needed and report any thoughts for ease of assembly. I'd also do it with superglue as would be the choice of a lot of lads here.

IMG_0286.jpg

Cage underneath folds nice and easy and is bang on square. Left to glue for an hour.

IMG_0287.jpg

The support angles are easily nipped out with the missus' nail scissors and folded with a flat pliers.

IMG_0288.jpg

Bufferbeam supports fold up and slot home easily. Use of a cocktail stick employed here to make sure I didn't misalign the pieces and fill up the holes for the whitemetal buffers.

IMG_0288A.jpg

Glued the cage to the main "frame", though I should have done this before bending the bufferbeam support. Potential to get a bit of twist in the chassis here if done assways!

IMG_0288B.jpg

There was a bit of an issue with the buffer beam (which has since been corrected) so in my haste I made a styrene one, and some cocktail stick/cotton bud buffers. All the other detail bits of the kit were added including 40 container lugs under each mounting plate, a couple of Dapol prestwin cylinders, the rods, brake wheel. I borrowed a pair of MIR bogies also for the later photos. (I couldn't wait a fortnight for the whitemetal parts in fairness..)

IMG_0288C.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

Liberal coat of muck applied...

IMG_0293.jpg

Muck washed off IE style...and some track dirt and spare decals applied

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

Some of the nice tricks with it are the additional brake wheels and tail lamp brackets, so you can upgrade other flat wagons potentially. The weighting is lovely, holds a can of beer in the middle without deflection and took me about 4 hours to get the entire thing assembled. Cheers, Richie.

I remember us talking about these wagons last year Richie, and what you and Des have created between the two of you is one of the finest designed etched kit's I have seen. Great work on putting the kit together also. Times are getting exciting. Between your MK1 Weedspray coach, and these wagons it has raised the bar again. A proper Weedspray train is now possible with a freight liveried 071.

Amazing work,

Rich,

Yeah lads, the possibilities this wagon opens up are mind blowing - spoil containers, fertilisers, bogie beets, donelli's, weedspray, barrier wagons and so on....

I take no credit for any design - des crawled all over one with a measuring tape and has all the photos up, under, you name it. I've just been a sounding board. SSM can take a bow. R.

I take no credit for any design - des crawled all over one with a measuring tape and has all the photos up, under, you name it. I've just been a sounding board. SSM can take a bow. R.

My apologies Richie, losing the run of myself in all the excitement. Let's just say you are a top sounding board. Top marks to Des for all the research on the prototype.

Rich,

Great looking test pilot job on the flat Richie, really captures the look of a skeletal flat Des!

Going back to the Hornby MK2As I have a sneaking suspicion I tried kitbashing a pair into Cravens back in the early 80s by cutting out the centre set of doors and gluing the two parts of the body together.

Flat looks amazing. What time period would they have been used on liners?

They would have been on liners since their introduction in the early 1970's up to the present day not so much on the current Liners as they tend to use the 47'6 wagons as they take the 45' containers .

Super looking model an an essential item for anyone modelling the Irish scene .

They would have been on liners since their introduction in the early 1970's up to the present day not so much on the current Liners as they tend to use the 47'6 wagons as they take the 45' containers .

Super looking model an an essential item for anyone modelling the Irish scene .

So those C Rail Bells would look right at home on them? Nice!

Gents,

Mucho mucho thanks to Richie for assembling and painting this model pre release, and the quality photos. He literally got it hot off the press. And yes, he's been a much needed and brill sounding board over the last few months!

I am waiting on the whitemetal mouldings to be available. Once these are ready I will release the kit immediately.

Superglue should be more than adequate and maintain it's strength for all standard use. I specifically designed the kit to be both solder and glue friendly.

Another feature is that the under frame spine has been designed so that the bogies can handle even 1st radius curves without the wheel flanges catching the chassis.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14761[/ATTACH]
So those C Rail Bells would look right at home on them? Nice![/quote

Yes right at home here is a picture of mine that was used in the IRRS journal 138 it was taken on the Curragh on 27th June 1997 of an evening 1940 Nth Wall to Waterford liner

Excellent photo, cheers!

Des has always been a huge fan of the Colin Craig FFA FGA wagons and can attest to the instructions that come with the kit's, 90 + pages. I have seen a thread of a modeller building a set and in bare brass they look amazing. I personally believe that Des has equaled that kit in what the finished model pre-painting looks like. The design of the kit caters for every skill set from advanced to beginner, and that is the genius behind it.

As Richie has said there are multiple uses for the wagons, but I think I would run a rake empty on a movement to Limerick for repair just to look at that beautiful skeletal underframe and deck.

Top class,

Rich,

Superb picture taken in those great days when we had so many real trains.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14761[/ATTACH]
So those C Rail Bells would look right at home on them? Nice![/quote

Yes right at home here is a picture of mine that was used in the IRRS journal 138 it was taken on the Curragh on 27th June 1997 of an evening 1940 Nth Wall to Waterford liner

• 2 weeks later...

Richie, I have tried emailing you a couple times - I have not yet received those headboards. I hope there is not a problem.

Alan

I remember us talking about these wagons last year Richie, and what you and Des have created between the two of you is one of the finest designed etched kit's I have seen. Great work on putting the kit together also. Times are getting exciting. Between your MK1 Weedspray coach, and these wagons it has raised the bar again. A proper Weedspray train is now possible with a freight liveried 071.

Amazing work,

Rich,

• 1 month later...

Indeed Alan, I'm working on a few of them at the moment and trying to get photos as I go to put up an alternative instructions thread later, so that even the most "cackhanded" can make up the kit in a simple way.

Sorry Aclass - missed your post - One method is to varnish the brass (airbrush) either water based or enamel and let it harden for 24 hours - then spray away and weather as normal. Another is to prime it with etching primer. I'm running a few trials on methods at the minute and I should have a reliable and cheap solution to go with the above tutorial over the weekend.

R.

Etching primer can be a bit hit and miss sometimes Richie. I've seen examples in the past where the model looked like it had spiders webs on it. Varnishing the brass is a great idea. Having looked at the build on page 57 you have done a fantastic job from build to finish. Looking forward to the tutorial from the master.

Rich,

Indeed Alan, I'm working on a few of them at the moment and trying to get photos as I go to put up an alternative instructions thread later, so that even the most "cackhanded" can make up the kit in a simple way.

Sorry Aclass - missed your post - One method is to varnish the brass (airbrush) either water based or enamel and let it harden for 24 hours - then spray away and weather as normal. Another is to prime it with etching primer. I'm running a few trials on methods at the minute and I should have a reliable and cheap solution to go with the above tutorial over the weekend.

R.

Excellent! I'm looking forward to the tutorial