Glenderg's Projects

Rate this topic

Glenderg

Incredible.

What strikes me the most about this is that there is NOTHING that gives this away as a scratch built model!

Until fairly recently high quality scratch built models were often to a higher standard than ready to run models or kits. Richie appears to have mastered the art of building highly detailed models in plasticard, and combined it with subtle choice of colours/weathering.

The level of detail such as brake rigging, highly detailed spring dampers and pipework are usually only found on a high end rtr model or a loco commissioned from a professional model maker.

• 3 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14762[/ATTACH]

i have to say it again - that is superb. am compairing it to the mir kit which is good, but this leaves it in the ha'penny place! well done =D

RedRich is dead right -they deserve to be run on their own!

Just kicking into 4 of these and started my first one, Hope they come out a good as this, I was surprised that there is no bearings in the it and the wheels end just rest of the brass side frames, Have you run it as is Glenderg as I am wondering should i put some Top hat bearings in place? Cracking Model to put together, Soldering mine, Flipping no finger prints left from the burns!!

Cheers George. I know that the great Mr. M. has opted for bearings on his as they will be running pretty heavy at the MRSI, but I think it's unneccesary. They run really smooth without the bearings and I'd imagine it would be thousands of hours running before the axles burn out.

They are superb kits, but after a dozen or so, you'll need a lie down in a dark corner :) R

• 2 weeks later...

Truth be told I didn't intend doing it. It was an accident of sorts. It took a fair bit to work out the order of painting and how to do it.

I made the pattern in Cad and then cut a template from clear plastic. I clamped it to the side and traced the outline onto the silver grey body. 1mm masking tape to follow the lines and tuck it into the vents and gaps.

It's actually a very satisfying job to do and the livery looks powerful.

A big thanks to Messrs Marshall and dinner for their photos on Flickr. I'll post up more info next week with the template if anyone else fancies a crack at it. :) r