Glenderg's Projects

Rate this topic

Glenderg

Everything is possible

attachment.php?attachmentid=18901&stc=1&d=1430525085

bow.gif

A huge thank you to Glenderg from Noel & JunctionMad. We were privileged to visit the Maestro's incredible workbench today. We saw 206 above in the stunning new enterprise livery. No factory could produce paint finishes of such quality and precision. His vast array of modelling skills were a revelation and jaw droopingly impressive. Nanometer precise scratch builds from any material you can imaging, and spray jobs that redefine the word 'excellence'. I was totally blown away by the truly flush glazed windows on coaching projects.

Thank you kind sir for the superb spray tutorial.:tumbsup: Engineer, scientist, artist, cad engineer, modeller supreme with embedded practicality.

• 1 year later...

Righto, after a hiatus of a little over 500 days, I thought it best to ease myself back into things, and by ease I mean "getting repeatedly whacked over the noggin with a well worn garda baton" type of eased.

It's actually surprising how many tricks and tips can be forgotten when it's not the be all and end all of your days. I'm I have build photos somewhere of these, but I'll add them another time. Just a quick glimpse of some almost finished Ammonia Tankers and Barrier Wagons from the Studio Scale Stable.

DSCF1304.jpg

DSCF1307.jpg

DSCF1308.jpg

DSCF1309.jpg

DSCF1310.jpg

DSCF1311.jpg

DSCF1314.jpg

DSCF1315.jpg

DSCF1317.jpg

More soon....a lot lot more.... Richie.

• Like 1
  • WOW! 3

Righto, after a hiatus of a little over 500 days, I thought it best to ease myself back into things, and by ease I mean "getting repeatedly whacked over the noggin with a well worn garda baton" type of eased.

It's actually surprising how many tricks and tips can be forgotten when it's not the be all and end all of your days. I'm I have build photos somewhere of these, but I'll add them another time. Just a quick glimpse of some almost finished Ammonia Tankers and Barrier Wagons from the Studio Scale Stable.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25422[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25423[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25424[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25425[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25426[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25427[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25428[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25429[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25430[/ATTACH]

More soon....a lot lot more.... Richie.

I came to see a 500(4-6-0)

I stayed for the barrier and ammonia wagon awesomeness..

Love the weathering

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Evenin All. Whilst up north over the Christmas, I decided to bid on a few ebay auctions, Mark 2 passenger coaches from Airfix to Lima. Sadly, I won 38 auctions and now have more Mk2's than I know what to do with. So here's one, and I was keen to start my own collection of stock.

DSCF1506.jpg

DSCF1507.jpg

Easy to take apart and break into it's separate pieces.

DSCF1508.jpg

I've taken out all the glazing bars and primed white. There was a nice crack in the roof too, which needed work.

DSCF1509.jpg

Then gobbo here forgot that 811/812 were DBSO vehicles and needed some adjustment to the driving end. Fill a window in, and make a new one.

DSCF1510.jpg

Made up some new windows, added handrails, and a cover plate for the corridor end.

DSCF1511.jpg

DSCF1512.jpg

I do like adding little things like having a window ajar, or pushed down.

DSCF1513.jpg

A little lick of dirt, but the roof is too clean, so out with the Payne's Grey...

DSCF1514.jpg

Dabbed on..

DSCF1515.jpg

All over....

DSCF1516.jpg

And most of it removed, but enough to take the clean look off it, without looking like it's been through an apocalypse! The roof is loose fitted currently, as I'd like to add passengers, a guard at a window, and fit some kadees, but all in time. Now though, it's back to work....

Richie.

Edited by Glenderg
Corrected 812 running no.

Nice job Glenderg, but I have to point out that only 811 and 812 were DBSO, 813 was a DBFO for which the Lima 2B Brake 1st is perfect for conversion. The window spacings of the coach are different to 811 and 812. I too have built 813 using the Lima Brake 1st, and am currently building 811 with a bit of cut and shut for the driving/guard end, and using half a Lima 2nd Open for the passenger end.

Nice job Glenderg, but I have to point out that only 811 and 812 were DBSO, 813 was a DBFO for which the Lima 2B Brake 1st is perfect for conversion. The window spacings of the coach are different to 811 and 812. I too have built 813 using the Lima Brake 1st, and am currently building 811 with a bit of cut and shut for the driving/guard end, and using half a Lima 2nd Open for the passenger end.

I used various sources to research the coach profile, but I've corrected the typo of 813, which should read 812. Apologies Dhu!

DSC_0061.jpg

and many of the photos from 33Lima of this parish, along with my own private collection. NIR Mk2 DBSO 916 (ex-812), Bangor 1993

813 has only 3 windows in the passenger section, and will be tackled next after I've finished a few commissions for folk.

Nelson,

It's a bit of both really. The material is 0.08mm perspex, the inner parts are cut once, the outer shape cut 4 times. This allows me to paint the frames, and trim off any overpaint with a cocktail stick. They just pop out of the sheet when finished, put over the opening, and plastic magic is applied to the inside. Capillary action draws the glue around the frame, but there's a few seconds to make any adjustments.

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0062 (1).jpg

(That's just spray glue on the rear from the platen, and comes off easily with a bit of white spirits)

I used various sources to research the coach profile, but I've corrected the typo of 813, which should read 812. Apologies Dhu!

NIR Mk2 DBSO 916 (ex-812), Bangor 1993

813 has only 3 windows in the passenger section, and will be tackled next after I've finished a few commissions for folk.

Picture of 813 below.

JPEG063a.jpg

813 has four windows in the passenger section, but the window spacings of the Lima Brake 1st make it only suitable for a direct conversion to 813. They are wrong for 811 & 812. Below is a picture of two coaches, the top one is a Lima Brake 1st, suitable for 813, the bottom is a cut and shut in progress for either 811 or 812. Note the different window spacings

JPEG064a.jpg

Great stuff Dhu. The upgrading of numbers later on has me all confused - 813 to 917 and so on. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm now duty bound to make 811 or 812 with the amended window spacing so! :P Richie.

Yes, the renumbering can be quite confusing. From what I can make out, the 800 series of coaches were the original batches supplied in 1970 and 1972, which had a three pipe air-brake system. These were then converted to the standard two pipe air-brake system to be compatible with the later ex BR stock. They were then renumbered into the 900 series. Good luck with making 811 or 812, to do it accurately makes an 813 build seem like a walk in the park. David.

Edited by Dhu Varren

• 9 months later...

Kinda weird all right, keep seeing parts that could have been improved and then I start getting annoyed, the load itself in particular, but shur learning curve and all that. I'm going to do something special with my own rake; custom loads, etched brake levers and the guide, maybe even swap out a hopper for a curved version. Rp-25/88 wheelsets too, for a more finescale look. Bugger all else can really be done... Dcc operating hopper doors?!?! 😆 

When the Chinese (great bunch of lads) cut the steel, for additional fidelity, and shillings, they can "Polish the tool".. snigger.. when the plastic is injected, it's near flat as glass and has an eggshell finish. 

As a wagon, trying to be impartial, it does take powders and washes exceptionally well as a model, and definitely benefits from a bit of distressing,especially to take that shine off. 

I've a pair of scrathbuilt E-classes on the bench too, both types, and hopefully a full build "splash" to go with, give yiz all a break from the IRM craic. 

R. 

Edit - I may have lied - there's the full range of MIG JIMENEZ weathering powders arriving at HQ and some models.... 😆.. I may get distracted.  

• Like 2

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:48 PM, Glenderg said:

Just a quick snap of a weathered set of ballasts, chap wants DIV 42, despite being on a different running number. First project of the rebuilt and relocated "workbench"! 

Weathering powders and hand applied highlights only. 

R. 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=ac96cff20d889157

DSC_0035-4488x2532.JPG

Beautiful Richie, fancy doing mine :D

• 2 weeks later...

Can, fire me a pm if still interested. 

In other news... 

DSC_0056-4488x2532.thumb.JPG.fa880f9e183d8447e938c00d4c4e8749.JPG

Colours used. 

DSC_0049-4488x2532.thumb.JPG.fcbe2a6ea282e1b21a3fd2f28298dee7.JPG

Rock salt method used. 

DSC_0050-4488x2532.thumb.JPG.acd8e20da5d6c37efa10ef32b1ba313f.JPG

Bit of downward action with wire wool before it dried. Onto powders, Mig Ammo are appallingly bad for railway stuff. It's powdered chalk dust, and doesn't stick. Back to AK Interactive. 

Should have left it at that, but was determined to get those powders to behave. 

DSC_0055-4488x2532.thumb.JPG.7cfe122d073bddd93a81e6e2fe107a7a.JPG

It's sitting on makeshift 21mm track. I'm "idir eatherthu" about the finish, and I've probably given Wrenneire a hernia seeing a collectible in this way!! 😆 R. 

• Like 2
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 1
  • Funny 1