Some French goodness...

Rate this topic

Pat that is simply brilliant. The catenary, the road vehicles. The vehicles stopping at the traffic light's. Freight, passenger trains, and beautiful scenery. The architecture is amazing. Thanks for that I've really enjoyed it.

Rich,

It's inspirational stuff alright! :)

C'est tres bon Pat, but ou est les splatterings du graffiti on les walls that bons franc is well known for?

Should we club together and send anto over to clandestinely 'fix' les rolling stock?

Don't think they'd appreciate their X2800 resprayed in NIR colours before the mucking-up commenced... :P

Pempoul - one of the best layouts that I've ever seen..

That's exquisite modelling!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hidden-agenda
Well, NIR's ballast wagons are ex-SNCF... ;)

You sure about that ? i was under the impression they were bought as new builds.If i am wrong by all means correct me but i am nearly sure the old IRRS journal had a small piece about them i will try and hunt it down over the few days.

Also they are due a refurb as the link below shows translink put it out to tender.

http://www.tendersdirect.co.uk/Search/Tenders/Expired.aspx?ID=%20000000003934081&sect=L003&cat=37&Page=Categories

Gareth,

I too saw the Translink tender document, but could find no further specs apart from that the wagons where to be refurbed and converted from vac to air braking.

However, this pic does show some remarkably similar wagons in service with SNCF:

http://tgveurofrance.com.pagesperso-orange.fr/wagons5.htm

Compare with the pics in this thread from the old site:

http://irishrailwaymodeller.yuku.com/topic/1009/Photographs-of-NIR-Class-111-Ballast-Wagons#.UORjbmlwpVM

The ends of the SNCF wagon's hopper are supported on a square block type brace, whereas the NIR models are supported on an 'A' frame type bracing.

An HO model, of the French/Belgian type is available from this lot:

http://www.mistraltrainmodels.be/product.php?lang=en&id=145

-Rob

I don't have it to hand, but there's a photo of an MV class with ballast wagons at the end of Barry Carse's book on the Irish Metro-Vicks, and he states that they're ex-SNCF stock.

The older ballast wagons were ex-BR seacows.

Robert, unfortunately those Mistral wagons are out of production and it doesn't look like there'll be a re-run anytime soon. I've been trying in vain to find some for an absolute age!

Edited by Garfield

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
Pat that is simply brilliant. The catenary, the road vehicles. The vehicles stopping at the traffic light's. Freight, passenger trains, and beautiful scenery. The architecture is amazing. Thanks for that I've really enjoyed it.....

Some of the videos were certainly watchable, but other parts were jarring: trains brought from warp speed to a standstill in the kind of braking distance that a supercar would be proud of, whilst the Faller car system, useful as it is, shows its limitations: abrupt stops and starts, and the sight of lorries/HGVs going round corners like sports cars. Instead, why not have a go at DC-Car?

A very good advert for the DCC-controlled layouts, I thought.

[video=youtube_share;Z77D5kzJCHw]

Edited by Horsetan