Hornby Coach Re-Spray?

Rate this topic

djkonore

Hey guys, my local model train shop owner held these three HO scale Hornby coaches for me, (a rare find here in the United States of Freedom =))). He knew nobody else would want them and for $15 a piece, sure you can't go wrong! Anyway I'm planning on attempting to re-spray them, but what do they look closest to? The era I'm sticking to is 1980's IR livery. I already have three Cravens. At the moment I'm leaning towards IR livery MIID for the coaches, but was there a MII baggage car? Any info or suggestions, pics etc. would be great. Thanks lads ;)

102_2003.jpg

102_2003.jpg

They aren't really like any thing Irish from the 1970s/80s era. If you want to repaint them I would suggest avoiding the Supertrain/MkIId liveries, but go instead for the earlier livery as applied to the Cravens coaches. While not terribly accurate, the models would be representative of some of the stock for the era you want and you could run them with the Cravens. I'd suggest numbering the two coaches 1432 and 1433. These were 7-window standards dating from 1956 but which were still in service in the mid-1980s. The arrangement of toilet windows was different, with small winfows at each end alongside the entrance doors. Also, the large windows on the models look like sealed units whereas the originals had sliding lights at the top like those on the Cravens. For the van, use the same colour scheme and number it 2557. None of these vehicles would have carried the white line under the windows, only the original one above them. Hope this is of some help.

Or what about a preservation livery maybe? I don't know if they would of had coaches of that vintage in preservation liveries in the 80's?

I would say run them as they are in the 1930s the GSR & GSRPS tried Chocolate and Cream maybe the FRHRC imported rake of ex-GWR Super Saloons to spruce up the Rosslare Boat Train :).

John

Guest hidden-agenda

Would you consider spraying them green with the stripe and flying snail and running them as a couple of pullman type coaches ?

Thanks for all the input guys. Helpful as always. I've been looking at some pics and at the moment I'm leaning towards converting the baggage car into a steam generating van to run with my Cravens coaches.

As for the other two coaches I'm still undecided. Probably go with one of the previously mentioned suggestions.

Thanks for all the input guys. Helpful as always. I've been looking at some pics and at the moment I'm leaning towards converting the baggage car into a steam generating van to run with my Cravens coaches.

As for the other two coaches I'm still undecided. Probably go with one of the previously mentioned suggestions.

Whatever you decide Conor please keep us informed :tumbsup:.

Rich,