1990's Irish Railways Archive by Dave Sallery

Rate this topic

Rob, what a brilliant find! I'm in the process of moving house lads and I've been granted 'planning permission' ahem, for a railway room, so I hope to have my first permanent layout started by the summer time. I'm going to be modelling in the 90's and this collection is a great reminder of how delapidated the network and fleet had become by the early 90's. Dave Sallery references breakdowns in nearly every image of the Rosslare Line for example. I love also the fact that many of the 141's/181's and cravens were still running in old CIE livery well into the 90's. Cannot wait to get stuck in to my layout! Along with all this you get to run shiney new 201's and 2600's and still lots of freight aswell. My favourite period by far, and wonderfully captured by Dave!

That shot of the A in Inchicore in "201" livery... I was told that only the one side was done! There was another variation they considered (can't remember details) and they just painted one cab... I actually think that livery suits an A class. I wonder how it would have transferred to 071, 141 or 121 classes - there's one for someone who is good at photoshopping...

Guest hidden-agenda

If i remember correctly there are a few pics in one of the IRRS journals and one shows the A class with the old livery on one side and the cab with the experimental livery so you are probably right John.

There's a picture of the locomotive in the open air on page 65 of the 3rd Edition of Irish Railways Traction & Travel (ITG 1994). It shows the same end as the pic above, but you can just see that the other cab side is still in the standard livery.

JHB, I'd have to disagree. I don't think that the livery suits the A class at all - too much orange on the front of the loco. It worked better on the 201s as they have larger windows on the cab front. Thank goodness that they never tried it on the 071s or 121s! To my mind the best livery carried by the A class was the 'black & tan' scheme, with the dipped 'tan' band.

Wow! Did she run in that livery??

No it never ran in that livery 019, it was painted in the new IR livery in August 1993 and was all set to re enter traffic in October that year for the 1993 beet campaign then it was involved in a shunting incident in Inchcore. It was then used for experiment liveries in August and Sepember 1994 where it was seen on IRRS Inchicore visit that year, it never ran in its new IR livery or any of the trial liveries, it was finally withdrawn around December 1994, but it was a great locomotive for hauling Bell Liners, thats another story.

Regards

h.gricer

I don't think that the livery suits the A class at all - too much orange on the front of the loco. .

I have to agree josefstadt, it looked absolutely awful on 019 when I saw it in Inchicore on Saturday 17th September 1994 on the IRRS visit, if that had of appeared on the 15.00 Bell to Waterford I would have thought the world had gone completely mad, it looked really well 12months previous in the new IR livery, it was to be the big story on the beet campaign that year, but it never was, if only...

Regards

hg

Ahh! well i will certainly agree thaat black'n'tan was the bst looking livery any CIE loco ever had.... would have looked great on an 071! I think I'm probably also the lone(ly?) person ever who liked the "biscuity brown" on Dublin buses in the late 70s / early 80s... :-)

Th tan bus livery looked okay until it faded, preferred the blue and cream and subsequent green myself. Mind you all are better than the current scheme!

http://www.dublinbus.cc/ddfs.htm

Th tan bus livery looked okay until it faded, preferred the blue and cream and subsequent green myself. Mind you all are better than the current scheme!

http://www.dublinbus.cc/ddfs.htm

I think the main problem with the tan livery is that there was no relief colour. They just painted everything the one colour (except the windows of course!).

We need a return to a green livery on buses.

Stunning work there Glenderg!! Certainly is a nice livery and one BAC should consider. Maybe you could interest them in it! A small point - would the 'Flying Snail' on the side have poited towards the front of the bus - i.e. be reversed? AFAIK the 'Snails' on vehicles which normally ran in one direction only, e.g. steam locomotives, both pointed to the front of the vehicle.

The lack of a relief colour was a big problem with the tan colour scheme. In the pics above the buses with adverts between the lower and upper floor windows do look a whole lot better than those without them as they break up the large expanses of a single colour.