What mk2s will we see?

Rate this topic

Killucan2

Good question Mark. The Composite is a very unique coach, and the Super Standard would be nice also. I've seen MK11 rakes on the Waterford Heuston train in the later years with as many as 3 composites in the set. I have also seen rakes with just Standards, Restaurant, and EGV, As well as the same without a Restaurant. So a rake without Composite or Super Standards wouldn't look un prototypical.

There were no Composites repainted into the Galway livery AFAIK.

Rich,

• 1 month later...
Didn't give a date Dave but said they'll all be in the Galway livery.

Interesting, I know that the Restaurant and EGV were being released in the Galway livery. There were also supposed to be some Standards released in IE livery, two with black roofs and one with an orange roof. I wonder has this been changed and all releases will be in the Galway livery.

Rich,

• 4 weeks later...
Forthcoming Mk2's Expected release date early April

MM5210 Standard w/black roof IE

MM5217 Do

MM5229 Standard w/orange roof IE

MM5411 Restaurant "Galway" Livery IE

MM5601 EGV "Galway" Livery IE

Expected RRP €49.99 each

Thanks for the above.

Personally, I don't think the Galway livery on the Restaurant car and EGV will look too well with a small rake of the standard MK2D carriages, they naturally would seem better looking with the 201 orange loco and other Galway liveried carriages. But for to have a MK2D full set now, it appears the only option.

What do others think?

Does anyone know how often a practice, if at all, it was to mix and match the Galways with the standard MK2D's behind an 071, or two 141's/181's etc?

I think I did see a picture on here before though of a Galway carriage, or two, (maybe it was a restaurant car) amongst a set of standard MK2D's somewhere on the Rosslare line?

They must have mixed black and orange roof standards at some point though?

the set of Galway coaches originally consisted of,

5601 EGV

5411 Restaurant

5209 Standard

5213 Standard

5216 Standard

5225 Standard

5232 Standard

5233 Standard

5235 Standard

The set ran like this for a while, but as you say it was broken up over time and IE liveried Standards would appear with Galways. The Galways also included a refurbished interior. There were no Super Standards or Composites converted for the set. The Lima MK11's are actually shorter than the MM ones as Lima made them the same lenght as MK11A's in their range which as with the prototype were shorter. I'm led to believe that the Galway EGV on show in Nuremberg had an orange roof, but with MM's track record recently for correcting livery details before full production I'm sure this will be corrected.

Rich,

I guess the question is will we see accurate Galway standards - or will Paddy skip them as the Lima version is already 'done'

Stephen I think that most modellers would want MM coaches to compliment the EGV and Restaurant. Although you would need seven for the full rake. Maybe if they released two different running number Standards you could buy the required amount and renumber them. Personally I would prefer to see Super Standards and Composites released in the IE livery.

Rich,

the set of Galway coaches originally consisted of,

5601 EGV

5411 Restaurant

5209 Standard

5213 Standard

5216 Standard

5225 Standard

5232 Standard

5233 Standard

5235 Standard

The set ran like this for a while, but as you say it was broken up over time and IE liveried Standards would appear with Galways. The Galways also included a refurbished interior. There were no Super Standards or Composites converted for the set. The Lima MK11's are actually shorter than the MM ones as Lima made them the same lenght as MK11A's in their range which as with the prototype were shorter. I'm led to believe that the Galway EGV on show in Nuremberg had an orange roof, but with MM's track record recently for correcting livery details before full production I'm sure this will be corrected.

Rich,

Appreciate the info Rich.

Perhaps then running a Galway Restaurant car and EGV with IE liveried standards wouldn't be that bad, especially since it was historically accurate.

This is just an initial enquiry really, haven't decided anything yet but am just wondering would you be able to pick up either of the EGV's from the previous releases, MM5602 or MM5609, in shops or either in nearly as new or in very good condition, from sellers or at any of the shows do you think? How rare are they now?

I missed out on the EGV's the last time and am finding it hard to like the new Galway livery one, as regards settling it into a possible rake.

This is just an initial enquiry really, haven't decided anything yet but am just wondering would you be able to pick up either of the EGV's from the previous releases, MM5602 or MM5609, in shops or either in nearly as new or in very good condition, from sellers or at any of the shows do you think? How rare are they now?

I missed out on the EGV's the last time and am finding it hard to like the new Galway livery one, as regards settling it into a possible rake.

Marks on Hawkins St had one the cabinet yesterday (orange roof I think) A tourist shop on Nassau st has a black roof one in the window. Wrenneire and The Train Man should have a few too I would imagine. All would be sold at a reasonable price I would imagine.