Whats this?

Rate this question

heirflick

Question

A guess here, is that the wagon that goes with the sleeper train (as in the 90's). It had an Italian name, carried 2 small cranes that ran along rails fixed to the side of the wagons? My thinking being the in the pictures you have 2 hydrolic turntables, the cranes were carried sideways during transportation, the the hydrolic rams would lift them up slightly, spin them 90 degrees, and lower them on to the rails along the wagon (painted red in the picture)

Just a guess, might be completely off!

I have a photo of 770, but it's a track laying doo-hicky. I think the bauld Broithe may be on the money though

http://www.flickr.com/photos/holycorner/6772507911/in/set-72157628999720825/lightbox/

143 pictured at greystones "Confined to PWD Work - DART line" (Bent frame from a shunting accident I think) and behind it appears to be Heirflicks two wagons, although in red.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/holycorner/6772496283/in/set-72157628999720825/lightbox/

I have a photo of 770, but it's a track laying doo-hicky. I think the bauld Broithe may be on the money though

Nothing to do with me - just the result of a Googling. No idea if it's right or wrong, myself.

Railcargricer1 says -There are additional Donelli Gantries 770, 772 and 774 772 is generally confined to loading in Portlaoise while the other gantries travel the country as required.

I beg to differ Garfield...

Here is a quote from the link Broithe posted... (It refers to the Donelli gantries)

[I]Some additions to that list lads.

737 is withdrawn awaiting disposal at Portlaoise Depot.

There is a new Tamper/Dynamic Track stabiliser numbered 710 delivered to I.E in 2007 currently being tested on the Coolnamona branch south of Portlaoise

There are additional Donelli Gantries 770, 772 and 774 772 is generally confined to loading in Portlaoise while the other gantries travel the country as required.

728 is also a converted to a Sandite machine

780 a ballast cleaner formerly jointly owned by NIR is stored in Mullingar Per Way Yard[/i]

I've also looked a bit closer at the pics from Greystones, and these wagons are definitely not in the formation

[ATTACH]5253[/ATTACH

Been trawling the internet for picture of the Donellis but I can't find any. I'm sure someone on here will have a picture in their private collection. I'm fairly certain this is the wagon (minus the cranes)!

greystones.bmp

dave182 is correct,the wagon is specially adapted for carrying the Donelli relaying gantries,

The gantries were located on either end of the wagon and on arrival at the relaying location were swivelled around and lowered on to the service rails alongside the track to be relayed,

They would first lift up the old jointed track sections and transfer them to empty flat wagons towards the front of the train,then hook up to new concrete sleepers and transfer them back to the worksite-a neat and fast operation,

On a good day the "Nellies" could relay up to a mile of new track.

@ dave182, yep I'm pretty sure they are. Last time I saw one was last March though in Clonmel.

@201bhoy, as well as night works, the timber liner runs during the night. It usually only passes on the line closest to where I'm living in Kilkenny at the Lavistown loop at about 11 every Thursday and Friday night on its way to Waterford with a laden train of timber.

@ dave182, yep I'm pretty sure they are. Last time I saw one was last March though in Clonmel.

@201bhoy, as well as night works, the timber liner runs during the night. It usually only passes on the line closest to where I'm living in Kilkenny at the Lavistown loop at about 11 every Thursday and Friday night on its way to Waterford with a laden train of timber.

Lol, I meant an overnight train, (sleeper train!) :) What a good journey that would be... Derry to Rosslare or Cork in converted mk3s :rolleyes:

ok lads, this is getting very worrying! still no clue as to what the wagons are for, broithe may be on to a winner , but if she is for the dart lines, i cant fathom what the grab things are for- not for track, cand seems to big for cable...confused-face-smiley-emoticon.gif theres a pint of guinness for the right answer!

ok lads, this is getting very worrying! still no clue as to what the wagons are for, broithe may be on to a winner , but if she is for the dart lines, i cant fathom what the grab things are for- not for track, cand seems to big for cable...[ATTACH=CONFIG]5263[/ATTACH] theres a pint of guinness for the right answer!

Lads,

The train in question with 143 in the siding at Greystones was called the ADtranz electrification train and was used during the construction of the extension of the DART from Bray to Greystones during 1998,

There was a mini digger on the flat wagon which had various drill bits and buckets and a generator housed in one of the containers for night and tunnel work,

The two axle open wagons had steel tubes loaded on them,

Due to the difficult conditions around Bray head,this train was used first to pile drive the steel tubes into the ground,then install the concrete base and masts for the overhead wires and lastly put up the catenery with the wiring train following,

The train would also have installed the new colour light signals which were commissioned when the DART extension was opened.

:cheers:

Edited by ttc0169

157  wagon 770  Wexford  D Heath.jpgHi All

I have been going through my old Irish photos and have found the following

which may be of interest

No 774 and 776 were pictured in Arklow and the pics given to me by T Nolan I think

157 and 770 were on track relaying work opposite the Talbot Hotel Quay Wexford

date I am sorry I do not have but it was a very Wet Sunday

David

770 Wexford  D Heath.jpg

774    Arklow    T Nolan.jpg

776 Arklow  T Nolan.jpg

• Like 1

The photos are amazing i remember the day well i had been on a training spin with the wexford wheelers. the gang were working hard for the sat and sunday and were very fast one of the P Way guys was a chap called Bill Whittey who was married to a family friend and sadly is no longer with us