New IÉ logo...

Rate this topic

Garfield

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jebus that's ghastly. I was never a huge fan of the plug logo when it replaced the IR points logo (still my favourite) but this is really bad. Can't see this becoming a design classic.

Is there a need to keep changing logos? After all, if you look across the water the 'arrows of indecision' are still used on every station and map in the UK despite the mass privatisation. IE would be better off having one classic logo for trains and leave it at that.

I hope they don't change Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus too.

Is there a need to keep changing logos?

Well, something needed to be done in this instance because IÉ's corporate branding has been all over the place for some time. The 'plug and socket' was pretty much pushed aside... it's nowhere to be found on the exterior of the 22ks, 201s, De Dietrichs, etc., and it's missing from a lot of station signage. It would've been pretty straightforward to 'get the house' in order without having to go for a complete re-design, though. What's even more bizarre is that they chose to do this so soon after the delivery of the last batch of 22ks, meaning some of them will probably spend less than 12 months in the livery they were delivered in!

Is this Irish Rails topical response to the Belfast 'flegs' dispute?

:ROFL:

I’m surprised that IE has not launched their new Logo in a blaze of publicity. What better way of confirming this change than by asking IE. After spending 10 minutes on their web site looking how or where to ask this question I fell back on the Heritage Section and emailed Gregg Ryan. Will let you know the response when I get it.

I’m surprised that IE has not launched their new Logo in a blaze of publicity. What better way of confirming this change than by asking IE. After spending 10 minutes on their web site looking how or where to ask this question I fell back on the Heritage Section and emailed Gregg Ryan. Will let you know the response when I get it.

It's surprising, but it's definitely happening... it's been on the cards for some time.

The GSWR crest lasted three quarters of a century. The GNR crest lasted from 1876 to 1958. The GSR crest, 20 years. BCDR - longer. Flying snail - almost 20 years. UTA crests - about 10 years each. NIR logo as was - in various forms 1967-1996 or so. Broken wheel - 1962-87. IE Set of points - 1987 - maybe early 90s, getting shorter. Three-pin-plug - over 15 years. Recent green wiggly thing - not long.

So we are going to copy insurance firms and English "TOC"'s - i.e. these pixie outfits like the Grand Great Western of Cotswold and Ayrshire Train Station Company**, and change logo at huge expense to taxpayers every fortnight!!

(** who own three railcars, sorry; DMUs, and each one has a different livery apart from the garish yelllow ends!)

I'll just finish my tea and go. The snow's started.

Jebus that's ghastly. I was never a huge fan of the plug logo when it replaced the IR points logo (still my favourite) but this is really bad. Can't see this becoming a design classic.

Is there a need to keep changing logos? After all, if you look across the water the 'arrows of indecision' are still used on every station and map in the UK despite the mass privatisation. IE would be better off having one classic logo for trains and leave it at that.

Can't say it any better. What is, in my opinion, really bad about the new logo is that it doesn't have simple coloured areas but colours changing from one side to the other. Besides beeing rather modernish the inventors don't seem to have thougt about the nature of a logo. It should be easily recognised even in dim light and without necessity of seeing the colour. Every older cie/ir/ié logo from the flying snail onwards could be applicated to surfaces in nearly every colour. The new logo seems to match on exacly one background: White. In my eyes a good logo must fit to every colour and must be that simple that it is possible to make a b/w copy on witch everybody clearly recognises. In former times logos were made so that they could be printed, cast or made in vitrous enamel, it was an art like creating posters with only two or a few printing colours. Times gone by, as it seems... the new logo is a product of "generation photoshop". Concerning the flag aspect: Is it only hazard that the "arrow of indecision" is rather "N" shaped or will NIR adopt the same logo, perhaps in different colours?

I would like to think that if NIR were changing their logo they would have better taste than that as their locos from the 1970's have basically carried the same logo till the present day only they've modernised it over the years.

Translink's is a boring generic logo, it could be any TOC beginning with the letter 'T', but it's still better looking (marginally) than this atrocity.

I'll wait until I see it on some rolling stock as that will be the real testbed. As it is appearing now on timetables is hard to gauge how it will look on locos, coaches, or wagons. My own opinion of it as a design would echo what most people feel. If I am correct the last items of locos and rolling stock to carry the plug and socket logo are the Autoballasters and 234 in Intercity livery.

Rich,

It's ghastly. Sentinel's point is correct too - I wonder did they have a "public consultation process" like they seem to want to do with the most irrelevant trivia in all areas of life nowadays? Here's one where it might have done some good.

Question: who volunteers to pay tax to re-brand all those new shiny railcars on IE? Even as they run down rural services further....... maybe ONE bit of good news: perhaps the good townspeople of Nenagh, Roscrea, Cahir, Tipp and Clonmel will never have to see one!!!!!!

Utterly grotesque. I'm going to get a load of people with Flying Snail flegs, and we're going to mount a daily "peaceful protest" outside the Dail, whadddever it takes. BRING BACK THE SNAIL!! :-)

Technically its still in use, given that its on the drivers console of the 071's on each side....

Guest hidden-agenda
Utterly grotesque. I'm going to get a load of people with Flying Snail flegs, and we're going to mount a daily "peaceful protest" outside the Dail, whadddever it takes. BRING BACK THE SNAIL!! :-)

No problem John we can march through the tunnel around the M50 and hang the snail on all the lamp post,s but some how i think a meeting in a good pub would be nicer given the weather.

From a signmakers view this is a bad plan. Solid blocks of colour are much more durable. Anything tunted, that has to be printed will fade very quickly. Solid colours can be produced from coloured vinyl or painted directly to the vehicle. This has all the hallmarks of a design by committee.

Why does a monopoly operator need a logo in the first place? The cleanliness and physical condition of the locos and stock say a lot more about the organisation than anything else.

Classic modern bullshit-management distraction technique - if the Titanic went down tonight, they would have a bloke up the funnel painting a different-shaped star on it as it slipped under the water...