New IÉ logo...

Rate this topic

Garfield

There are a couple of things here that slightly cause my bullshitometer to go off the scale.

First off, the timetable is printed digitally in Adobe InDesign, and no logo looks as pixelated and crap as that one, so it's highly unlikely it's official. I work in InDesign regularly and it takes effort to be this sloppy. It looks like a placeholder for a missing graphic. Happens easily.

Second - the font is wrong. More evidence of shoddy workmanship. It is Arial. Irish Rail paid for a custom commercial font, obviously not available to the clown who produced this digital turd (we discussed this a while ago.)

Irish_rail_bullshit_logo.jpg

Third, to establish whether or not it's official, would one of the twitterati on here ask Irish Rail if this is a kite flying exercise, or a legitimate logo.

Fourth, the logo itself - Irish Rails latest corporate toilet paper production clearly states that it wants to disassociate itself with all things orange.

I'm only getting started....:mad:

Fifth, current re-branding is ongoing of station signage which suggests that royal blue is the colour of choice as a background. A tender for the re-signing of every station platform, car-park, and out house on the IR/IE network is worth a significant seven figure sum. In this climate, no management at Irish Rail, no matter how overpaid and underworked, could find a justification for dispensing with the existing signage, just to rebrand it in this "marine flag" back of a fag packet design.

Sixth - the colours themselves - These are usually dictated to the graphic design company based on "extensive market research". (read "Do not use colours what failed in england") Even an amateur muppet who never used photoshop before now would suggest differing greens to that used on the rail network, and differing greens in the font logo. It's all about brand awareness I'm told. The orange looks like supertrain tan. See Point No. 4. I'm sure I've seen that green font colour come out of a child's nose, but never applied as a livery. Not even by JHB's history of "odd greens"!

Seventh - a significant rebranding was undertaken some years ago. This is not cheap. No justification to repeat it.

ce4-a.jpg

Picture_3328.jpg

Eighth

lipstick_monkey.jpg

The dunderhead who did this didn't check what the current stock is, nor how it would look. I believe this image is Wanderers from a few years ago, and so, M'lud, the prosecution rests its case. And if this ever makes it's way onto trains in Ireland, I'll buy everyone here a pint - better still, I'll get Dave Bracken to buy everyone a pint.

Richie.

P1010090.jpg

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to establish whether or not it's official, would one of the twitterati on here ask Irish Rail if this is a kite flying exercise, or a legitimate logo.

Done - I will report any reply here.

AHHH! Folks, look at the original post. It was done in April!!! Hmmm. !!

Damn!

Richie

Its true

I was talking to "an employee" this evening and he showed me some pics on his phone

Also mentioned that the complete 071 fleet was being overhauled as we speak, had some pics of the work in progress

All going into Freight livery

The words "Eddie Stobart" were whispered

And I'm not buying pints!:cheers:

Richie

Its true

I was talking to "an employee" this evening and he showed me some pics on his phone

Also mentioned that the complete 071 fleet was being overhauled as we speak, had some pics of the work in progress

Well boil my leg and call me Brenda. Gobsmacked.

I saw Garfields post on this yesterday and though like the rest of you that this has to be fake. However, it dawned on me to check Irish Rails website- surely as a large company if you are rolling out a new logo this is the first place you would start?! Nothing on the main page, but sure enough if you open any of the new 2013 'printed timetables' there it is! I am lost for words....

No love for the new logo... appears to be universally hated. I have to agree with all thats been said above and with good reason :mad:. Apart from being a bit bland, probably could only useful be useful as an icon on a smart phone and not fit for purpose in real life (i.e. plastered on the side of a train!). Most definitley designed by a child/committee at great expense. Bewildering as to what on earth is paying for this???

But then corporate identity is not one of I.E.s strong suits. How many liverys does it operate under?.... Intercity green/silver; Intercity (cork train); Enterprise; Enterprise (old); Arrow old livery; D.A.R.T; Freight. If I've missed one let me know.

If it wants to increase volumes on it's network, changing to a naff logo is not going to help. Encouraging inititives to help people ditch their car and use the train would be of more benifit. The majority of us do not 'need' to use the train, we 'choose' to use it because the improved road network makes it so convenient to get around. Free parking at I.E. car parks and encourage pak and ride perhaps???

Anyway, back to the logo... similar level of 'FAIL' to when TOLL/New Zealand Railways rebranded as KIWI RAIL. But at least that one grew on me. Time will tell how this new one by I.E. will fair out...

P.S. Stobart 071s.... could be interesting!

With sinking feeling I see, yes, it IS on the downloadable timetables. the good news is they'll probably touch the taxpayer's wallets to "re-brand" again in what, 8 months? A year?

I agree with you, although I don't think they will re-brand again that quick. But they will be back looking for more fare increases and to get their subventions.

Seemingly they need their subvention from the almighty one to keep them going and then they go off and spend the money that they did have on this!

Maybe it was one of the provisos to get the subvention, and now we know who designed it =))

Well, at least they blew it on such a tremendous work of art........

Edited by Blu Bianco
Tidying up!

I'm lost for words, I thought this was a joke till I viewed the downloadable timetables. It looks like some of the elements on the timetable were copied using the print screen command while other parts are vector sharp, I don't get it. Certainly looks like a home job to me and a very poor one at that!!

Guest hidden-agenda

Its kosha gents, i spoke to a friend of mine who works in Inchicore and its on the cards. For the life of me i cant figure why they are doing this money wasting exercise but they do what they want when they want.

Pub crawl to the Dail me thinks.

Richie

Its true

Lets hope they don't start naming the locos after his 'conquests', like they do with the trucks!

Are we to see Eddie Stobart Liveried 071's? Woooo exciting :)

Seriously, that WOULD be exciting.

Question, from a strategic view, which locos have the greater route flexibility, lower maintenance cost and suitability for freight handling? 071 or 201.

My guess is the 071.

Well?

can any of you computer whiz kids photoshop the new logo onto the side of a freight liveried 071? its great to hear that the fleet of gm's are being overhauled all the same!!!

077 is currently in the paint shop after it's body work overhaul. We'll see if it gets the new logo. It's been out of service for almost 2 years I think. 078 is up next to get done but it needs parts. 087 is in there too, all of them still in IE orange. It will be interesting to see how long 084 lasts before they call it in, it looks in a bad state but it worked alot of tara trains last year so it must still be a decent performer.