Dave182s Projects

Rate this topic

dave182

• 3 years later...

It’s been a while but I’m back at the work bench for the first time in ages, and I damn well intend to finish something for once this autumn! I have a corner in the shed that’s gonna have a small terminus station and some permanent way sidings so that I can store all of the PW and yellow machines in one place. 

So I’ve decided to tackle Irish Rail number 734, the odd looking sandite machine that lives in Kildare. I’m working off measurements that I’ve garnered from lots of photos, and if it looks reasonably to scale then I’m happy enough!

569747D6-4820-43B4-8841-9E116272987D.jpeg

E07AF1D8-C043-487D-8BFB-FE298AB3A2D6.jpeg

So in the next picture you can see the undercarriage of the body and I’m exploring if I can get a motor onboard without taking up too much space. On the real thing the engine is sitting up on the deck and a shaft goes down through the floor to power just one axle. If I could replicate this I’d be happy. The other option is in the cab, but I think a detailed cab would really make this model so want to avoid that. Any thoughts or suggestions?

04A9C2C2-4AC8-4251-982A-990F9E22020F.jpeg

The other thing I’ve been working on over the summer is a depot for my PW machines. This is basically something similar to the depot behind Kildare station. The frame and shell is nearly complete, and I tried to get a little bit of detail on the inside. Once it’s all assembled and painted up I’ll add signage and gutters and as much small detail as possible, then get some track down and build a yard scene around the building!

E7372751-CC20-4DD6-84DF-66479B119385.jpeg

6902C40F-381F-482D-AD4B-E475828F92AC.jpeg

• Like 1

The depot looks amazing, what is it made from?

Have a look at High level gears they do a gearbox to one axle and it would not

take up too much room. Most of it would be under the floor level so just the small

motor on top which could be covered with a small box.

• 6 months later...

Hi All

I’m crap when it comes to posting up workbench photos and progress, mostly because I have about two dozen projects started and none complete! However, I now finally have a small layout nearly completed (separate posts to come over the summer) and it has given me the drive to get some rolling stock projects done and dusted. 

I make no secret of the fact that I’m a fan of all things yellow, and the new layout has some sidings for PWD trains. So when asked recently what I wanted for an up-coming birthday present I put in a request and low and behold this lovely parcel arrived on my workbench!

So this is a Kleinspoor HO scale Plasser & Theurer RM80 kit, and even in 1/87 scale it looks pretty impressive! My hope is to make a reasonable representation of Irish Rail number 780, RM76. What is the difference? I don’t actually know!

This is the most complex project I’ve undertaken so I’ll genuinely do my best to post regular updates on progress, and as always any tips and input is welcome an appreciated! Can’t wait to get this finished!

(first picture copyright Charles Cross, ontrackplant.com)

962AD019-8FC1-4B5B-BD57-351BFE61DCE5.jpeg

6E312A9C-9526-43BE-AF7E-3EAE66E4F63A.jpeg

AE099BEA-B4B1-472A-827F-D0F4434A437B.jpeg

CA933A2E-7757-4DBA-BC8A-3BE39BEC73D9.jpeg

Edited by dave182
  • Like 3
  • WOW! 2

Hi Eoin

This is it all laid out. Mostly resin, with lovely brass etches of the shaker screens and handrails.

Also some whitemetal parts for buffers and underframe detail.

To the right hand side you can see 2 clear plastic sheets with moulded windows, which is very clever!

Screenshot_20180516-215104.jpg

Edited by dave182
  • Like 3