Murphy Models 071 and Murphy Models - OO Gauge Model of the Year Nominee

Rate this topic

BosKonay

Naturally, I have given Paddy my vote, but don't tell Ben I've never even seen one of the model 071s!

Thanks for prompting me, as it allowed me to vote for the exquisite C Class (Steam!!!!) and the Thompson coaches - they could nearly have been running on God's Northern Railway! As for the original Brighton Belle - superb, wish I could think of a reason for having it running through Portadown and Richhill!

Edited by leslie10646

Compared to the other models in the list the class 85 would be the main contender. As much as that is a classy model I think the 071 is a more tricky prospect to get right in a design and manufacturing sense. I think both models look spot on in most areas but the 071 just shades it for me so I gave it my vote.

I think the class 85 and the Midland Pullman will win the Manufacturer of the year for Bachmann. With that in mind I still voted for MM and wish them the best of luck. I think the huge number of Mainland UK modellers will dwarf the number of members on this site and that will swing it for Bachmann. It would have been very interesting if Dapol had released the 00 Western in 2012.

I think the Dapol MRA might win the best 00 wagon award.

Rich,

Owning both an 85 and an 071 I'm afraid the 85 shades it for me between the two. It really is one of Bachmann's best. Therefore I'm abstaining from the vote! ;)

Owning both an 85 and an 071 I'm afraid the 85 shades it for me between the two. It really is one of Bachmann's best. Therefore I'm abstaining from the vote! ;)

That's a very honest and impartial appraisal Fran. I know that a lot of the spade work was done for the 141-181 class models, especially around the cab so the 071 isn't all that new in that respect. I know the 071 isn't 100% spot on in all areas (I don't think any model is) but it looks damn fine. I had a very good up close walk around 075 from the ground last summer and when viewed from that angle the model is to a very high standard.

You haven't voted for the 071 model because of your knowledge of the 85 and owning both models gives you the opportunity to make your decision. I'd hope that people would give the 071 their vote on the models pros and cons, and not because it's Irish. Voting the model on it's merits gives the model more credibility, and the 85 is a cracking model, more so then the Heljan 86.

Rich,

Guest hidden-agenda

Come on Fran vote for Paddy regardless of what else is out there we are lucky the man is doing the models.:praying:

i totally see where fran is comming from. if i collected irish, english and american gear, i would vote for which ever was the best from all three. as i love only the irish stock, i naturally will vote for paddy.

Cheers Seamus, glad you know where I'm coming from.

I should probably qualify my statement a bit. I am a big fan of the Murphy Models 071, it's a superb model of one of my favourite locomotives and if my financial situation I would buy every one he released. I intend on getting my hands on some of the next release too and will probably end up with four or five in total.

However, it falls down in one area for me in particular; the bogie sideframes are just too flat and don't look anywhere near right to me. Now, I don't want to start a heated debate about it, I'm just stating that that's my opinion.

Comparing the pic below to say http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:071_077_colbert.jpg you might see where I'm coming from.

022.jpg

011.jpg

I did think that maybe the weathering on the real thing was adding a greater 3d effect, but if I look at the weathered models on the Murphy Models website I'm still convinced that the brake rigging is too flat and the frame itself has little depth, with no outward curve. http://www.murphymodels.com/LOCO071.html

As I said, just my opinion. I may be able to live with it, but I'm not sure at the moment.

And I know I'm sounding like a broken record but if you look at some of the yank models you can see some fantastic bogie sideframes with real depth.

005.jpg

Turning my attention to the BR class 85, I just think the bogies are better captured, and for that it edges out the 071 for me if I was bothered to vote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:85007_Carlisle.jpg

006.jpg

The bogies look much more like the real thing to me.

Anyway, I've explained my viewpoint. I would like to see more quality BR AC electrics produced, possibly a sector of the hobby that is marginalised like Irish outline. As I said if I were to vote it would be for the model which was best in my eyes, and that's the 85.

Edited by Warbonnet