"The Train Now Departing."

Rate this topic

Broithe

This excellent series, first broadcast in 1988, is on iPlayer now - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p011v8dj/The_Train_Now_Departing_The_Long_Drag/ . It's available for the next ten years, so there's time for those you who are ethnically-cleansed from using iPlayer to find a way round it...

It's largely about closures and subsequent preservation.

It's on YouTube, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk_h6ZqK7U

Broithe, I just took a quick glance at this programme and found I could not leave it, fantastic, it’s made me think of doing that railway journey. And the best thing I found at the end of the programme is there are a number of others to view in the same series. Great find.

An excellent series indeed. The BBC released two VHS tapes covering the series - Part 1 (BBCV 4254) featuring 'The Long Drag', 'The West Highlander' and 'Lines of Industry' and Part 2 (BBCV 4255) containing 'The Holiday Line', 'Steam on the Isle of Man' and 'The Survivors'.

To think that when the 'The Long Drag' programme was made the Settle-Carlisle line was under serious threat of closure. Look at it now, heavy freight traffic, numerous passenger services (albeit most worked by railcars), reopened stations and diversionary traffic off the West Coast Main Line.

I'm not 100% convinced, but there aren't that many curved ones at that sort of length..

Nor should you be. Glenfinnan in Scotland is probably the most famous curved viaduct but it's not that Jacobean legend.

Before

Before.jpg

After

After.jpg

It's Lowgill Viaduct in Cumbria.

Richie.

Broithe, I just took a quick glance at this programme and found I could not leave it, fantastic, it’s made me think of doing that railway journey. And the best thing I found at the end of the programme is there are a number of others to view in the same series. Great find.

Fantastic journey I kind of grew up on a diet of David Jenkinsons Garsdale Road and Little Long Drag and Ivo Peters Somewhere Along the Line with splendid shots of 9Fs on the "Long Meg" hopper trains and eventually spent a lot of my spare time exploring the area around the S&C even developing a taste forEnglish bitter and Cumberland sausage when I moved to England in the 80s.

My first visit to the S&C was on a BR day excursion ticket from London to Carlisle for round $25 out via a Euston-Glasgow train on the WCML back over the S&C behind a Class 47 to Leeds and home by IC125 down the ECML to London, the highlight of the journey was passing City of Wells on an excursion at Garsdale. Even managed a stop off at Keightly and saw the US wartime 2-8-0 on thee KWVR and some time in Leeds.