Sign in to follow this  
Broithe

Fatality on the line at Lisburn.

Rate this topic

There are disruptions to service due to a fatality on the line at Lisburn earlier.

That's all I know, but we can all read between the lines, probably. People rarely consider the poor driver in these unfortunate circumstances.

Let's all hope that he gets over this.

It happens quite often but normally isn't normally reported.

A tough time for the driver, yes, but also for the family of the deceased. It's sad to think that he/she felt there was no other choice.

It happens quite often but normally isn't normally reported.

A tough time for the driver, yes, but also for the family of the deceased. It's sad to think that he/she felt there was no other choice.

Indeed. I recall a radio programme about this over here many years ago. The scale of what happens is, as you say, not always widely reported - there was one driver over here who was almost into double figures...

The person that you're most at risk from is yourself.

Happened to a deceased member of my family. There is nothing you can do about it. Having said that he carried the memory of it for the rest of his life.

Rich,

I knew of a driver who witnessed a teenager taking a short cut in front of his train, which hit them and killed them. He had a similar aged younger sister himself, and as a result of the shock he handed in his resignation and left the railway straight away.

Some years back, I sat behind a pair of drivers on their way to an ILDA meeting (remember them). One of them mentioned having "eight notches on his loco"