y25 bogies

Rate this question

Riversuir226

Question

31 answers to this question

Ours are actually y23. As far as i know they are identical to to y25 apart from the gauge.

I will be doing them for the Ammonia and the 42' flat, and will also consider them for spares. I reviewed and rejected the Bachmann Y25s as far too expensive. On top of that, they underhang the chassis too much.

By making my own I can keep the costs managable, while at the same time having a product suitable for OO gauge, run smoothly yet look "wide" enough under irish freight stock. I will keep you all posted.

Edited by Weshty
remove errors

Guest hidden-agenda

Look in the work bench section at schalanes on page 1 he shows you how he widened a bachmann y25. Its not the end of the world if its not perfect but may be a 2nd option if you want to get your wagons rolling. I have to say its the first time i heard of a MIR kit being sold with out bogies.

I will be doing them for the Ammonia and the 42' flat, andd will also consider them for spares.. I considered and rejected the Bachmann's as far too expensive. On top of that they underhang the chassis too much.

By making my own I can keep the costs managable, while at the same time having a product that can do OO gauge, run smoothly yet look "wide2 enough under irish freight stock. I will keep you all posted.

Nice one Weshty, You spotted a gap in the market:tumbsup: I'm currently kitbashing some dapol ballast wagons into Tara Wagons, something like this could fit the bill and finish them off nicely. I agree with ya on the Bachmanns, too much £££££'s for sure!

Tom

The wagons were bought secondhand, everything else is there even the wheels/ bearings and screws are there for the missing bogies.

I have come across mir kits with missing bits before but a quick call to Ian usually sorted out the problem. Sadly thats not an option since thr demise of mir.

Weshty looking forward to these bogies coming out please do them as a spare as well as with the new kits.

Guest hidden-agenda
I have 8 sets, 16 Y25 bogies from Mir kits that were constructed by George Conna some time ago in excellent weathered condition.

I got all mine built and professionally painted by Anthony. Take a look at his work bench his stuff is excellent.

TBH the bogies under the prototype wagons look more like these Sambre et Meuse Y33 bogies even though they are classed as Y23. There was a report into the derailment of the Tara Mines train in Skerries in 2008 and I remember the bogies being classified as Y23. It can get a bit confusing at times.

Sambre et Meuse.jpg

Rich,

Richie, Our ones look like an amalgam of 23 and 25. Quite "rounded" yet with an angularbend on one side.....which is how I will make them....

That's spot on des, I've no doubt they will be on the ball. I think you have made the right choice in producing your own.

Rich,

I've been doing a bit of research and can clarify that the bogie used by CIE is actually a Y33 with sensor loading.

It's detailed on the Sambre & Meuse website.

http://www.sambreetmeuse.fr/?fond=produit&id_produit=7&id_rubrique=1

500_______y33am_16.png

This German site provides more technical info.

http://www.drehgestelle.de/6/Y25_ba33.html

y33am.jpg

So there yez are. Now to get them cast and available!

Edited by Weshty

Spot on Des regarding the bogie type. IE's seem to have had axle box covers removed on our Y33's. I wonder was this done by CIE or were they produced that way by Sambre Et Meuse. You made the right choice in producing your own bogies Des as the Bachmann ones just don't look right even if they are a handy alternative.

Rich,

Spot on Des regarding the bogie type. IE's seem to have had axle box covers removed on our Y33's. I wonder was this done by CIE or were they produced that way by Sambre Et Meuse. You made the right choice in producing your own bogies Des as the Bachmann ones just don't look right even if they are a handy alternative.

Rich,

ours use Timken bearings the one in the photos are SKF bearings hence different bearing covers