SSM B101 Sulzer - a personal review

Rate this topic

Flying Scotsman 4472

I rarely post on the site but I'm an avivd reader (which is probably what 80% of the membership are on this forum after all).

The carry-on in-relation to this thread has encouraged me to comment however.

I have ordered a few bits and pieces from Des over the years and always found him to be a straight up nice guy who is very open to feed back. In fairness, he got up off his arse and took a risk, like all entrepreneurs.

Ok there are problems with the kit but these are all fixable - its not life or death lads...... I have to agree with Train model on this, thought the tone of the original post was over the top, as they say in football terms - 'very much studs up' in tone. Yes - of course raise the issue but for god sake keep it in perspective.

Jasus, we really need Dave Bracken to come in here on this one and take ye all down to earth with a bang with a good one aul fashioned one liner.

I'm hoping that you just don't realise it but your coming across like a pack of aul ones - wingin and cryin. Where's the administrators on this forum to bring a bit a cop on to the discussion.....

Cheers

GM071

One question; Would you pay 100 euro for it?

Before you answer I suggest you look at Robert's take on Anthony's pictures before answering. Fixing a lopsided roof is a pig of a job. Others are reporting that correcting the window profile is very difficult as the resin gets very thin.

Des is a stand up guy who provides a lot of great products to us. However, that should not absolve his products of constructive criticism. There is nothing wrong with wanting something to be right and to be of good quality.

gentlemen, just spoke to des this morning about the sulzer kit, and if anyone who bought a kit from him have any problems, contact him directly at dzsullivan@eircom.net or info@studio-scale-models.com and he will respond to any contact. my main concern was the side grills and as i expected, he is working on a solution as we speak ! so, once again, any probs, contact the man himself... he is always a pleasure to deal with!

Hi Warbonnet.

Yes - I got one originally.

And yes, have read Rob's feedback on the roof - its a problem but its fixable - not life or death.

We're talking about railway modelling here not open heart surgery....

I agree there's nothing at all wrong with constructive criticism, just how its done is what we are discussing. In my view the thread has gone out of control since the first post. This is a commercial project for Des, he put his neck on the line etc., more than rest of us have done here with the eminent exceptions of Paddy Murphy, Dave Kavanagh and Irish Freight Models. Could everyone not just give him a bit of slack, as opposed to launching into every problem that anyone can potentially find which will have the envitable outcome of destroying any potential customers the guy might have. Just bare this in mind. I don't see a big rush to fill the gap of supplying authentic irish model railway materials. He does this but the damage that can be done to SSM brand as a result of over zealous enthusiasm to get all the critical points out in public could result in us losing a great supplier. And I don't see the huge rush to fill the gap in this very small market..... Lots of people seem to be quick to forget the way it used to be.

Cheers

GM071

Hi Warbonnet.

Yes - I got one originally.

And yes, have read Rob's feedback on the roof - its a problem but its fixable - not life or death.

We're talking about railway modelling here not open heart surgery....

I agree there's nothing at all wrong with constructive criticism, just how its done is what we are discussing. In my view the thread has gone out of control since the first post. This is a commercial project for Des, he put his neck on the line etc., more than rest of us have done here with the eminent exceptions of Paddy Murphy, Dave Kavanagh and Irish Freight Models. Could everyone not just give him a bit of slack, as opposed to launching into every problem that anyone can potentially find which will have the envitable outcome of destroying any potential customers the guy might have. Just bare this in mind. I don't see a big rush to fill the gap of supplying authentic irish model railway materials. He does this but the damage that can be done to SSM brand as a result of over zealous enthusiasm to get all the critical points out in public could result in us losing a great supplier. And I don't see the huge rush to fill the gap in this very small market..... Lots of people seem to be quick to forget the way it used to be.

Cheers

GM071

Fair enough GM071, can't wait to see how you correct the roof issue yourself, hopefully you'll share your methods with us so others can use similar methods.

I understand where you are coming from, and as I said elsewhere I will use my wallet to support these products, but I think it's only right that we can call a spade a spade. I personally do not think I will buy one of these kits as it just doesn't look like a sulzer to me. Maybe finished projects from people on here will help me change my mind but at the moment I will keep my wallet in my pocket. This might sound harsh but he would have more customers if it better and these comments wouldn't be happening.

As for your last comment, I totally agree. However, I think the greater demand for more accurate and authentic models has lead to the riches we enjoy now like the Murphy 141 etc. If we didn't demand higher standard we might be still running Lima 33s! The standard has been upped and we want better standards. This seems to hark back to the old days in my opinion.

Anthony is a modeller whose skills I massively respect. I have seen his kit built locos 1st hand and they're the best fist of MIR kits I've seen (and they weren't exactly great quality kits to begin with) and seeing the struggle he is having just confirms that these kits are beyond my modelling ability to make a good model of the prototype (to the standard not to look embarrassed next to a Murphy's 141). I would put his words down to frustration when working on them to be honest and I think we have moved on from that.

I dont there is a "one liner" in existence to sort out this mess.

I find myself in a bad place regarding all the negative feedback on this issue

Des and Anthony are both on my Christmas card list and I have spoken with both of them regarding all the issues brought up

I have ordered 6 kits and hope to have them soon. One should be here tomorrow hopefully

I am buying the kits to resell; I have some customers waiting for them

I do not see any issue that cannot be sorted The acid test however will be whether or not the kits sell.

When the kit arrives I will post some comments, however I do have to agree with Train Model and GMO71 in the way that the forum seems to have gathered like vultures to criticize SSM

I have tried having some bits made commercially in the past and it was a nightmare, so bad in fact that I took a large hit and never went ahead with it

The amount of time alone that goes into these projects is phenomenal and if time alone were charged at the average industrial rate the models would be twice as dear, but the thing that I really admire with any project is the balls to get up and do it, remember its money up front with all these projects, bring your items to market and then hopefully see the smile on your customers face when they purchase one

Remember folks this model was available for view at Cultra for 2 days

I never heard one negative comment, bar from the mean bastards who were giving out about the price, but they complain all the time anyway!

Knowing the man that Des is, I am sure he will sort out some bits to remedy the concerns

Knowing the man (and a half) that Anthony is, he has had time to ponder. We all know he jumps in first, asks questions later.

He has pointed out some flaws in the model but let’s leave it at that. We are all in this hobby together; let’s enjoy it while we can

They said the Titanic was the dogs gonads……..

Edited by WRENNEIRE

Amen Brother!!

Des and Anthony are both on my Christmas card list and I have spoken with both of them regarding all the issues brought up

I have ordered 6 kits and hope to have them soon. One should be here tomorrow hopefully

I do not see any issue that cannot be sorted The acid test however will be whether or not the kits sell.

When the kit arrives I will post some comments, however I do have to agree with Train Model and GMO71 in the way that the forum seems to have gathered like vultures to criticize SSM

I have tried having some bits made commercially in the past and it was a nightmare, so bad in fact that I took a large hit and never went ahead with it

The amount of time alone that goes into these projects is phenomenal and if time alone were charged at the average industrial rate the models would be twice as dear, but the thing that I really admire with any project is the balls to get up and do it, remember its money up front with all these projects, bring your items to market and then hopefully see the smile on your customers face when they purchase one

I never heard one negative comment, bar from the mean bastards who were giving out about the price, but they complain all the time anyway!

Knowing the man that Des is, I am sure he will sort out some bits to remedy the concerns

Knowing the man (and a half) that Anthony is, he has had time to ponder. We all know he jumps in first, asks questions later.

He has pointed out some flaws in the model but let’s leave it at that. We are all in this hobby together; let’s enjoy it while we can

Good on ya Dave, well said!!

And you still managed to get the one liner in at the end! You can't beat an aul leveller like that, it brings everyone down to earth with a bang!

And Des, keep the faith, they'll all be beavering away at their kits looking for solutions, god bless em all!

Cheers

GM071

Well said Dave.

Hi guys. I just want to add my thoughts as a member of this forum. The way that this has played over the last week is awful. I dislike the tone and the viciousness of this post, which is being played out across 3 postings. It's is dragging down what is normally a super forum. Banter and criticism can be sharp, lively and to the point without lowering to this. Anthony, you point out that you are a professional model maker who has bought these models to build and that you are making a living out of this- first and foremost then, you should know that the first port of call if there is a problem, is to talk to the supplier directly. In this case SSM have indicated to people to contact them if there is a problem.

Those who have contacted SSM appear to be happy with the response they have received thus far.

Secondly, if you buy something and you are really that unhappy with it, then send it back and get a refund!

Lastly, as a moderator, and a professional model maker, a posting like this is not very... well... professional. I would hate to think that if you sent out a model that wasn't up to scratch that it would be plastered all over this forum, without you first being contacted by your customer and give a chance to address the situation.

I would kindly ask the moderators of the site to now delete this post as it has run its course, and in my opinion is dragging down an otherwise great forum.

Regards,

Dave182

• Like 1