Rail Disasters of Ireland

Rate this question

burnthebox

Question

• Answers 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi Gar' date=' I think it was about 10, 15yrs. ago, & it was a 141 I think,[/quote']

Hi burnthebox,

It must be loco 191 that you are referring to,

15th August 1991-Northwall to Clonsilla,

See more info about this in my layout Tara Jctn thread as I have a model of the withdrawn 191 on it and hgricer put up some details of what happened.

Hi burnthebox,

It must be loco 191 that you are referring to,

15th August 1991-Northwall to Clonsilla,

See more info about this in my layout Tara Jctn thread as I have a model of the withdrawn 191 on it and hgricer put up some details of what happened.

From here on - http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/67-Tara-Junction?p=8305&viewfull=1#post8305 ...

She was the first GM to be scrapped.There was fire damage

around the fuel tank and mid section.She was at the back of

Inchicore works for a few years,grounded with no bogies

and stripped of all useable parts.Very sad sight to see,and at

one stage IE were going to rebuild this loco and a number of

locos such as 161,132,174,126,and the long stored 125

and return to service,but the large influx of railcars put paid

to that.actually 121 herself was also one of these locos as she

was damaged on the weed killer train fire in New Ross in 1995.

Many thanks lads, & ttc what a layout, I just love the detail, to say I'm envious is just a hope that one day I'll have something like it, keep the story lines coming, bloody fantastict,

( PS ttc I got so carried away looking at your layout I nearly put this reply into your Tara Jcnt layout, what do's that tell you, ) :trains:

Don't forget the incident at Cobh on 5 May 1995. Locomotive 165, working an early morning empty passenger train, failed to stop at the station's platform, crashed through the buffer stop, ploughed through the wall of the Cobh Heritage Centre and ended up partly inside the centre's exhibition hall.

She was the first GM to be scrapped.There was fire damage

around the fuel tank and mid section.She was at the back of

Inchicore works for a few years,grounded with no bogies

and stripped of all useable parts.Very sad sight to see.

indeed she was a sorry sight, found a pic of her........

GM 191.jpg

A full report into the incident is available here (Link)

fair play to you Snapper - thanks for that! poor old 082.......i wouldnt mind but on my days off im usually down there at that concrete buffer takeing pics of anything that moves - some fright to get seeing her comming down at you!!! worse still, emagine if she was powering up and hit the buffer at speed, derailed and hit the wall - some drop there!

fair play to you Snapper - thanks for that! poor old 082.......i wouldnt mind but on my days off im usually down there at that concrete buffer takeing pics of anything that moves - some fright to get seeing her comming down at you!!! worse still, emagine if she was powering up and hit the buffer at speed, derailed and hit the wall - some drop there!

And double yellows, too - they would get some fair ticket for parking it there...

Don't forget the incident at Cobh on 5 May 1995. Locomotive 165, working an early morning empty passenger train, failed to stop at the station's platform, crashed through the buffer stop, ploughed through the wall of the Cobh Heritage Centre and ended up partly inside the centre's exhibition hall.

I had forgotten about that, there have been a few in resent years, 21st July 1994 locomotive 073 derailed on the trap points at Newcommen Junction with a Sligo liner, it very nearly ended up in the Royal Canal.

On the morning of Wednesday 9th April 2003 201class locomotive 215 was involved in a very spectacular derailment at Heuston while shunting the MK2 AB coaches, the incident happen early in the morning, by 11am 215 was leaning at a 45degree angle in danger of topping over, ballast was put under the loco to support it, then 2 road cranes had to be brought in to ''stabilize the loco'' press photographers where hunted off the site, but the photos still appeared in newspapers the following day.

Regards

h.gricer

Edited by h gricer

On the morning of Wednesday 9th April 2003 201class locomotive 215 was involved in a very spectacular derailment at Heuston while shunting the MK3 Int coaches, the incident happen early in the morning, by 11am 215 was leaning at a 45degree angle in danger of topping over, ballast was put under the loco to support it, then 2 road cranes had to be brought in to ''stabilize the loco'' press photographers where hunted off the site, but the photos still appeared in newspapers the following day.

Regards

h.gricer

now thats a pic i would love to see!

On the morning of Wednesday 9th April 2003 201class locomotive 215 was involved in a very spectacular derailment at Heuston while shunting the MK3 Int coaches, ...

Regards

h.gricer

And, no doubt someone high up in the company thought 'must get rid of the MkIII stock to prevent this happening again'!!!!!

And, no doubt someone high up in the company thought 'must get rid of the MkIII stock to prevent this happening again'!!!!!

My mistake josefstadt, it was actually the MK2 (ABs) stock that 215 was shunting when it derailed, that stock used to work the 10.00 Heuston / Limerick, found the slide which I must scan.

Regards

h.gricer

PS hard to believe 171 survived another 35years after the wash road incident.

Railer, any more pics of railway accidents ?

They are just a few I have sitting on a hard drive.

I one or two of an A class runaway accident in Cork freight yard and another of a 121 on a Mk3 PP working, derailed on the Northern Commuter line. Also a bad scanned picture of 225 after it's fatal level crossing accident 2 years ago, it's still not repaired and most likely never will be.