Scratch building a big fat 071

Rate this topic

Retro Herbie

About six years ago myself and a mate were having a coversation about how difficult it would be to build a big 071/111 loco, one big enough to pull passengers. After plenty of discussion we decided on one about 9ft long, electric powered, four motors, lights, airhorns, air brakes with brakes also charging the batteries when they are applied - oh and fitted with a fully functioning sound card.

We reckoned as time allow we'd build two, one would be 111 in 1980s livery and 112 in current livery.

Heres a few pics of the build process, everything was built from scratch, 111s windows were all hand cut and filed but it was such a hideous task we laser cut 112s

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

111 was finished and kitted out, two passenger coaches with seating for a total of 12 people were also built.

With the experience on 111 we made a few changes for 112 and she was built with detail in mind. Buying the shop has taken over every spare second of free time and 112 is currently still in the workshop as she has been for the last 4years. All that needs to be finished on her is some minor body detailing, finish building the bogies and then wire her. Hopefully ill find a bit of spare time in the next year or so to get her complete and out beside 111.

6.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

24102006023.jpg

111.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

24102006023.jpg

111.jpg

Edited by Retro Herbie

Guest hidden-agenda

Gareth your MAD and welcome to the club, very ambitious and nice end result its a pleasure to see some one take on something like this from an engineering perspective and succeed with a very pleasing end result.

• 3 years later...
Doubt whether you will hear much of this again sadly - and why pull a 3 year old thread from its slumber...........

Apologies Blaine. I'm relatively new to this forum myself having joined only last autumn, but keep stumbling across some very interesting material on here, some of which may also be of interest to other newbies.

Apologies Blaine. I'm relatively new to this forum myself having joined only last autumn, but keep stumbling across some very interesting material on here, some of which may also be of interest to other newbies.

I'm here a good while and never saw this thread... Glad you shared it to be honest!

It's always a delight to see some of the older items brought back up, and especially with the fresh delight of our newbies.

I'd forgotten about that monster 071. Can you imagine what it would be like if super detailed?? Vac pipes, internal cab detail, etc.

Wowza!

Why so? Has the Belfast and County Down Miniature Railway ceased operations? If so' date=' that would be a terrible shame as I'd love to have seen their GMs and Hunslets in action.[/quote']

No, I believe the builder of this loco hasn't posted here in a long time and has withdrawn from social media.

Yes thank you also as I've been here 2years now and it's the first I've seen of it, and a joy it has been to see the project from start to finish can't wait to see 112/ 80 class and who really cares if we don't see them until 2018 it will be something to look forward to