LIMA Murphy Models

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

I have two of these sets, their cost, £45.00 each. Admittedly, this they were purchased about ten years ago? One of the Locomotives is on my home railway as I type this post and is used to pull a thirty wagon Goods Train. Alternatively, it has eight to ten passenger coaches behind her.

The tender on my Irish wolly always derails and don't use it much. A have a faux A class (class 33 sprayed silver) pulling my coaches.

45 pounds sounds cheap - even ten years ago.

That appears to be a common problem with these locos

Run them on larger radius curves and longer points if you can

Weight can help but it seems to be the coupling arrangement on these particular locos

I have the British version and the coupling has required considerable fettling - it's still not 100% reliable, though it is a lot better than it was straight out of the box..

"The tender on my Irish wolly always derails and don't use it much."

The end of the coupling mechanism housed in the Locomotive can become dislodged. If I remember it has two prongs that branch out at an angles of Eleven and One O'Clock. These are meant to sit under the floor of the Cab and swivel as necessary. Have a wee fiddle. You may discover the connection is not quite true. This was the problem with mine. Adding weight, can also help keep the Tender on the track. I use weights supplied by my Local tyre Fitters. They come in a variety of sizes and weights and attach easily when the tape is removed.

Lima CIE Supertrain train set on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMA-C-I-E-Supertrain-/252656141047?hash=item3ad37ac2f7:g:8tAAAOSwA3dYOv1D

Post to UK only but location in Belfast.

Curious they branded it 'Supertrain' when it was supplied with BR mk1 coaches in B&T livery, rather than BR mk2s in ST livery. Only the class 33 loco no 215 is in actual supertrain livery. :) Nice to see a train set supplied with 4 coaches instead of just two or three.

The 0.6.0 is described as being "in CIE colours"...... it's black......white snail, white number.....

Yes, yes, I know....... !

In truth, anything was better than nothing at that time and it ably illustrates how superbly far Irish modelling has new come. Hats off to messrs. Murphy, SSM, Provincial, JM Design, and all the rest!

In truth, anything was better than nothing at that time and it ably illustrates how superbly far Irish modelling has new come. Hats off to messrs. Murphy, SSM, Provincial, JM Design, and all the rest!

Hear hear. Not forgetting IRM, SF and IFM

People were easier to please back then, most of the major manufacturer's offerings back then were riddled with inaccuracies, wrong colours, wrong fonts, motors and wheelsets from whatever shoehorned into bodies, moulded handrails, etc.

Hear hear. Not forgetting IRM, SF and IFM

Yes...plus numerous private model makers - I certainly didn't intend to leave anyone out!

The Lima O Gauge 4F in CIE livery is a very rare beast, one of the harder to find of the older "Irish" outline models

Lima N Gauge Irish is the rarest, followed by O, then HO and OO would be the most produced of the models

Any idea how many pieces of N were made Dave?? A few years ago I came across a job lot of N stuff on ebay - an American seller, 1 corridor coach (Lima Irish N) was in there. He had listed it as 'European'. I think I paid about 5o quid for the lot.

That's a pretty cool set Dave, love the addition of bridge and gantry signal. Can't believe the variety in the early Lima sets.

Yea, kinda thick over this one ,I was told the original one was kosher but with no reference to check, what do you do?

You pays your money and you takes your chances

Lovely set and with 4 coaches. At this time of the year this really reminds me of being a nipper, picking out a train set from Santie. Santie brought me my first Irish lima set. Dave, you are making me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Stop it, I prefer being my usual jaded and cynical self.