LIMA Murphy Models

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

I'm lobbying my fellow IRMer's to do a top quality RTR version but they tell me I have to think with my head rather than my heart! haha :)

Yes, it seems getting a loco tooled up and made in China is only recommended if it's at very high volume and 3D print isn't there yet.

Yes, it seems getting a loco tooled up and made in China is only recommended if it's at very high volume and 3D print isn't there yet.

Not necessarily. There are lower volume locos being made these days. So never say never. Then there is top end RTR brass. But you'd be looking near €1,000 a pop. But unbelievable quality with all bells and whistles and a very exclusive, appreciating asset.

Not necessarily. There are lower volume locos being made these days. So never say never. Then there is top end RTR brass. But you'd be looking near €1,000 a pop. But unbelievable quality with all bells and whistles and a very exclusive, appreciating asset.

I suppose. The rapido guys who did the amazing APT-E recently. Any idea what the run was on that? I think it was modest enough.

I suppose. The rapido guys who did the amazing APT-E recently. Any idea what the run was on that? I think it was modest enough.

It wasn't massive as far as I know and I was delighted to get one :). Smaller runs in plastic are doable these days, it just leads to higher cost price per model due to volume. If you look at people like Heljan and some of the magazine and retailer commissions in the UK you can see that the volume does not need to be as high as it once was. It helps when there's been several liveries carried by the prototype too...

It wasn't massive as far as I know and I was delighted to get one :). Smaller runs in plastic are doable these days, it just leads to higher cost price per model due to volume. If you look at people like Heljan and some of the magazine and retailer commissions in the UK you can see that the volume does not need to be as high as it once was. It helps when there's been several liveries carried by the prototype too...

Yeah, A few smaller guys seem to be popping up here and there which is very, very encouraging. Does anybody know much about these guys.

They seem to be a relation of the oxford diecast crowd. Their railway models look good though.

http://www.oxfordrail.com/

Hi roxyguy, for what its worth, I have heard they, Rapido produced 2000 units of ths APT-E train, I suppose thats for the World ! It could be the UK of course !!

BTB

Apologies if ths is going ff tread !!

Yeah, A few smaller guys seem to be popping up here and there which is very, very encouraging. Does anybody know much about these guys.

They seem to be a relation of the oxford diecast crowd. Their railway models look good though.

http://www.oxfordrail.com/

Yes, they're the same crowed that do Oxford diecast. They have Mark III coaches coming out soon which will be worth looking at.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hook up with a guy at the Bray Wheelers last Sunday

He told me he had an Irish Lima set and asked if I was interested

It had been in his parents loft for 30 + years

Asked him all the usual questions without trying to set off any alarm bells

He told me he had a steam loco with 3 coaches etc

Anyway this is what turned up

P1090790_zps16r3uacj.thumb.JPG.34c1fa4ce009d611a4e17395a293a3b4.JPG

P1090788_zpsr29miaqd.thumb.JPG.34fcb1a35f88708b622b1ce6d3aaec2b.JPG

He thought the base of the box was the lid, which I had asked if it was present

However the thing about this set is that the coaches are 00 gauge, with a HO gauge loco, which Lima never produced in OO

Does anyone have this set with its correct box?

Edited by WRENNEIRE

• 2 weeks later...

Found this over the weekend

In a 1994 copy of Railway Modeller

Apparently in the 1955 CIE Railway timetable there was an ad from Kellogs Cornflakes

It stated "Look out for the CIE New Trains Series of cut out models on packets of Kellogs Cornflakes"

Any of the crunchy members here remember such packs of Cornflakes?

Unfortunatly in the 50's we could only afford porridge

20170127_202329_zps6i44usnb.thumb.JPG.54dc816c1b20e923c02b5e7d60fdc2d2.JPG

Edited by WRENNEIRE

Picked this up yesterday at the Stillorgan gig

I had never seen one before

Rumour has it that Dart Station of this parish was seen running to the boot of his car with a very similarly shaped item

His co conspirators at the show said that they had not seen him running since the 141's came out. Nearly 10 years ago people!

P1090825.thumb.JPG.f8099c9d28153a72e35fdadf0a23e77e.JPG

Edited by WRENNEIRE

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread I just read it from the start. i missed out on all these great sets and models. My first introduction to model railways was a small Hornby English goods set bought very second-hand at a school sale of work. I still have it and still love it. I painted the little engine green to try make it look Irish when I was kid :) Thanks for the all the photos on here Wreneire they are a delight to see and an inspiration. There must be a case for some re-releases among all these Irish items. Which models would you like to see available again???

As a collector I really dont want to see anything available again

For me its all about the chase, someone telling me that their father had something Irish back in the day and then taking it from there

There are still a few bits that I am searching for and the hunt for them is what I am into

There would be no joy for me if I could just drop down to Marks and buy them over the counter

Not answering your question I know but thats where I gets me jollies.