LIMA Murphy Models

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

32 minutes ago, Noel said:

Looks just a mix up in body centres from two locos, an IE and IR. Could easily happen when fitting decoders and the IR and IE bodies got mixed up between two locos when being put back on.

As far as I'm aware none of the Murphy 141/181's with the plug'n'socket logo came with the smaller marker lights or silver window frames. They had the newer LED markers and the frames were the same colour as the body, which points towards transfers. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just putting these up here to keep the thread up to date and keep all our Irish stuff in one place.

The Boxed Set!

Series.thumb.JPG.5acb85c489f2f71f7229fff57f87c3aa.JPG

Box interior

1893053366_TaraContents.thumb.JPG.09a9aa25f229dba0773d1678bde35941.JPG

IRM 1020 Set A

2008285054_SetA.thumb.JPG.8322b538302729a417db7a58934f1fdd.JPG

308412930_SetA1.thumb.JPG.a334380a3cb7b7f871d176a7304991b0.JPG

1011168747_SetA2.thumb.JPG.79fa46e8a74ef31a4ff27b15c80b194d.JPG

IRM 1021 Set B

506675052_SetB.thumb.JPG.f911b40fc81f9059e69b1b3bb3a0b39c.JPG

66784814_SetB1.thumb.JPG.273d8996e23cb5a723dc68c93ad9c526.JPG

160307601_SetB2.thumb.JPG.760c42a58249c18f915671eff86a89a8.JPG

IRM 1022 Set C

799343231_SetC.thumb.JPG.813e92290101c78b73d5f375b64bb58f.JPG

1873002504_SetC1.thumb.JPG.2c86c6e32757cc2f9187dace920c16d8.JPG

1963953932_SetC2.thumb.JPG.4e60e2ebfa921f09e1fdaba44e3c2cbe.JPG

IRM 1023 Set D

1593761293_SetD.thumb.JPG.827c3299a5d1956bd694b8f454aa2a95.JPG

809763273_SetD1.thumb.JPG.1bac68518e32e0355b4c3c2edf42878a.JPG

1948763247_SetD2.thumb.JPG.a6b89a2ead98fd008c109a88f784d89b.JPG

IRM 1024 Set E

806213119_SetE.thumb.JPG.ebb0dab59c2fe5aba4bf5d68bc98c701.JPG

737007843_SetE1.thumb.JPG.99c11c470edb7494e398bb7e07132f1d.JPG

1510129168_SetE2.thumb.JPG.50a2f03908fa30021d28586280fbb52c.JPG

• Like 3
  • Informative 2

In recent years, all remaining wagons tend to exit Limerick with black bogies and multi-coloured bits, as shown on the models.

For those modelling, say, the 1990s, it's worth pointing out (given the excellent level of accuracy in all details on these wagons) that bogies plus all their assorted gubbins were all-brown. In their original blue state, bogies and buffers were blue too.

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

In recent years, all remaining wagons tend to exit Limerick with black bogies and multi-coloured bits, as shown on the models.

For those modelling, say, the 1990s, it's worth pointing out (given the excellent level of accuracy in all details on these wagons) that bogies plus all their assorted gubbins were all-brown. In their original blue state, bogies and buffers were blue too.

Hi JB,

The blue Taras had matching blue buffers and Instanter couplers, but the bogies were black. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2018 at 5:28 PM, jhb171achill said:

Saw that, warbonnet! My error.....

But I'm wondering now - what DID have blue wheels or bogies!

I know the Asahi ones were the same dark green as the chassis.....

I'm correcting myself here - I meant the N.E.T. bogie tankers, not the red and silver Asahis - they didn't have bogies, obviously! Duhhh....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick question people,

How do you see yourself within the hobby?

A runner, a collector, Irish only etc?

I see myself primarily as a collector, must be in the correct box, all paperwork present and also detailing parts etc

I would buy a model to upgrade what I already have or just for the parts or literature in the box, always trying to have the best possible version I can

10 years or so ago I collected Wrenn models and the variations within this genre was mind numbing, the same content could turn up in 7 or 8 different boxes and 

whereas the wagon would be the same it was the difference in boxes where the value and collectability lay

Nowadays its Irish or made in Ireland only and it does not have as many variations, thank God

Still some bits out there that I need to get my grubby hands on but the fight goes on!

• Like 2

Good question there Dave...

Primarily a runner, but everything I have (where possible) will have the original box/instructions etc. In the rare case where any item purchased doesn't come with the correct box/instructions etc. I will put that on the list to look out for - as in the case of the 181 I got from you recently in Bray. I was after a weathered one for the layout so compromised on getting the one without the instructions and correct box, but will keep an eye out for these. I can compromise on the details if the model is not so common - for example I am after a 141 in Black and Tan so will take anything that's going initially for a fair budget, and then trade up if something better comes along with the goal of having all aspects correct eventually.

All boxes, materials, certificates that I have are carefully stored.

When I started a few yeas ago (I am still very much a novice in this game) I was building on a collection I was given, so it was all Hornby/Bachmann stuff going back to the 60's up to the early 00's - but now have pretty much graduated to the Irish only theme going forward. The quality from the IRM guys and Murphy Models really is excellent. 

Will I purchase everything coming from MM and IRM..? Not sure. I have a bit of catching up to do and have missed earlier releases. I suspect I will gradually convince myself to get most of it though...!!

• Like 1

Very good question Dave.

I would consider myself a runner & collector.

British outline. I did have some American & Irish but sold it off.

I have a large collection of private owner wagons, special editions, kit built etc but they're all stored away because I don't have the room to display them.

I also have lots of Wrenn, Exley & Lawrence & Goddard items, again all stored away because of a lack of room and of course lots of books ranging from late 19th century upwards.

I have a few display cabinets around the house containing mostly locomotives of which I have probably around fifty or sixty I think 🙂

I find it hard to keep track of it all. I have all my items listed in a binder & was creating a database with Microsoft Excell but got sidetracked 😉

My layout is 23' x 9' run on NCE wireless DCC.

Haven't done anything since before Christmas as I just don't feel like it at the moment but hopefully the bug will return soon.

Tony.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:56 PM, WRENNEIRE said:

Quick question people,

Definatly a runner of OO Irish outline models and British N gauge but recently have begun to collect OO gauge BR blue locomotives and coaches for a possible future small layout.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 5:56 AM, WRENNEIRE said:

Quick question people,

Interesting question. Now, a runner of Irish CIE golden era period, operating and driving my model toy trains imitating prototypical movements as per my nostalgia memory. 

In the past a runner of BR steam era, mainly GWR and LMS. Had spent 20years slowly building up a collection of BR steam trains. Murphy models changed all that we i first saw 182 for sale at the fry museum shop about 11 years ago.  Since then BR steam stuff has gone to be replaced with a collection of Irish stuff built up over the years. 

Nowadays very much enjoy converting and kit bashing Irish rolling stock not available RTR, and some kits covering the CIE golden era. Lost interest in anything much after 1974 or modern era stuff. 

In summary primarily a runner, but have ended up collecting quite a bit of stock, but mostly out of their boxes now on the layout, bar stuff queued for weathering, or truth be told by way of confession, some baby GMs packed away in long term storage lest I one day catch the modern era orange bug. :)  Strangely I have a desire to have a modern mk4 CAF set to run, skipping 40 years ahead (probably because I’ve travelled on it a lot in recent years, it’s loco hauled and is very comfy to travel on. 

Edited by Noel
lexdysia again
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:05 PM, Noel said:
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:05 PM, Noel said:

In summary primarily a runner, but have ended up collecting quite a bit of stock, but mostly out of their boxes now on the layout, bar stuff queued for weathering, or truth be told by way of confession, some baby GMs packed away in long term storage lest I one day catch the modern era orange bug

Noel, I know how hard you find it to let anything ORANGE contaminate Kingsbridge, other than your Bubbles. So if you fancy shifting any of those modern Baby GM's drop me a line :)

Edited by jason brady

Definitely a 'runner', interested in 'lrish only' and within that,  late 1990's / early 2000's  before the dreaded modern Railcars took hold.

Currently redeveloping layout to properly run my collection of (all with boxes) locos (201, 071, 181 & 141 class) and including MM Cravens & Lima MM Mark 3's.

All are weathered, have broadly same shade of orange and have to be authentically numbered, window stickers etc.  (Very sad l know!!)

Like the Freight wagons from lRM from that '90/2000's era.

Obsession (and that is the word) is the lrish Mark 3's and always looking for more Standards but ALWAYS searching for the elusive EGV, (proper) Restaurant & Citygold aswell-  any help here is ALWAYS welcome!

Very envious of the layouts here and the amazing talents people have!

• Like 1

So yesterday at the Talbot Hotel toy fair I picked up this yoke

Contents are unimportant as I have several good ones in reserve, but the loco was stunning as well.

Its all about the box, best one I have seen and that was not many, boxed examples of the CIE Hymak are in the hens teeth category 

My mantra is firstly get a boxed example of the model, then upgrade till you have the best one out there

P1110330.thumb.JPG.61f9f012c709e9159d007d8a606b2667.JPG

P1110329.thumb.JPG.10c51edec91592537c58593a6abe0cfa.JPG

Edited by WRENNEIRE
  • Like 1

I was given these catalogues/pricelists at Stillorgan on Sunday

I think it was a case of Keep D4 tidy, throw your rubbish in Raheny !! (Sorry Pat)

The first one is from Youngs Model Railway Centre, Briscoe Terrace, Fermoy and its a 1980 jobby

On page 1 there is a Hornby R792 Freight set for £22.45 and on page 5 some Irish Coaches and a Lima 5609 Cadet wagon

The Zero 1 controller is advertised at £61 and £9.10 for the chip, these were the start of DCC controlling 

The second is in a 1979 Hornby catalogue and the pricelist is from Hobbie Crafts, 2, Sackville House, behind Clerys Dublin 1.

Again they have the Hornby R792 Set but no other Irish bits.

P1110336.thumb.JPG.589e7d4b506d4eb9410c8181987b4788.JPG

P1110337.thumb.JPG.3b372b00ae00bf50de3c681db93baec4.JPG

P1110338.thumb.JPG.0c461a57d4179edb69d55719126437c3.JPG

P1110339.thumb.JPG.32401b7bcb5106a1f4a83403d9072c56.JPG

P1110340.thumb.JPG.839cbe2f2455768f16ddfd42a1d30ad4.JPG

P1110341.thumb.JPG.0ec3da865df74186bbee468028bb67a5.JPG

P1110342.thumb.JPG.f51deabd867da77b5ecdbaba65c0286a.JPG

P1110343.thumb.JPG.673cd6ab2d470d3c33c95fad02a9fb97.JPG

P1110346.thumb.JPG.fcc1413f1a4d37d936c96aa00e336fcf.JPG

P1110344.thumb.JPG.c742953c65afb7c3f5f14340dd83e389.JPG

P1110345.thumb.JPG.deac95cc281d66c25c29a03267acfa04.JPG

• Like 1

Lovely paperwork, makes you think though, some poor soul banging away on a typewriter and then pen and ruler to box and then stand over a steaming zerox copier - height of tech in 1980 perhaps.  Makes it all the more historically valuable I guess.  

Now it would be lots of copy and paste or spread sheet excell sort of electron bruising and a print now button.  

My Triang TT collection is also a bit box driven but many duplicates to play with on the layout.   My N collection was based on having one of each of Dapols modern image stuff - non steam anyway but even that has fallen by the wayside as prices crank upwards and now its an example or two of new production.  Mainly because some guys have been busy bringing out super Irish 4mm models and I still hanker after a 4mm Highland shed layout based on Kyle shed, oh  and some G1 dabbling - like building parcel vans... size matters and a bit easier on aging eyes !    But I still enjoy running/ playing trains at least mine run on time unlike the day job! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi WRENNEIRE, I'm new here and have spent hours reading through this fascinating thread. Not least it brought back memories of pipe smoke on Sunday mornings in Monk Place and of the Southern Model Railway shop as I remember it in a basement in Leeson St.

Anyway my question is, would you consider it appropriate to include here items not specifically produced for or aimed at the Irish market but regardless may well be appropriate for use by Irish Railway modelers. A particular example I have in mind is the class A Esso 4 wheel tank wagons produced by Heljan, their catalog no. 1153, albeit the running numbers may not be correct. There is also a weathered version no longer available. 

Thank you

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Ironroad said:

Hi WRENNEIRE, I'm new here and have spent hours reading through this fascinating thread. Not least it brought back memories of pipe smoke on Sunday mornings in Monk Place and of the Southern Model Railway shop as I remember it in a basement in Leeson St.

Anyway my question is, would you consider it appropriate to include here items not specifically produced for or aimed at the Irish market but regardless may well be appropriate for use by Irish Railway modelers. A particular example I have in mind is the class A Esso 4 wheel tank wagons produced by Heljan, their catalog no. 1153, albeit the running numbers may not be correct. There is also a weathered version no longer available. 

Thank you

Hi, Ironroad, I new to site as well,  so i wont say welcome, for now i'll leave that for the senior members, ;)

I am also reading through these pages with fascination, 

Lima represent to me an era of simple modelling, i run carraiges-coaches on my new layout, for they ideal for kids to play trains with, cheap enough to allow them to handle, tough enough so they dont get 'weathered' by kids, and the plastic is wipe-able! and for some reason they run great to test my new laid tracks, esp' before i place/test the more modern and more expensive models.  The wheels are wider than more recent models and thats great for testing/getting my turnouts running, before there set as perfect for new models, and best of all they uncouple easy, which for a newbe is a real challenge with more expensive models.

I also love the feel of lima models, even if they aint accurate of prototype, to me, they are fun and represent an era of simplicity in design.  and its so nice to see made in Ireland on stuff.  i dont know if i will be able too, but changing the dc locos to dcc will be a project i have long fingered for the golden years.

Hi WRENNEIRE,  I respect this this as your space and appreciate the sequence in which you have been presenting things and don't want to intrude. I don't have the Heljan model but have just ordered the last 3 in stock at Hattons and will post a picture when received it that's in order. I'm in the US so that's a week or more off. I'm also expecting a J15 from OO Works this week and believe this is also worthy of inclusion here (not mass produced but RTR). 

Hi WaYSidE,  I agree that the Lima products were robust etc. and we still have a HO blue Lima class 33,  that was part of a train set that Santa brought my then three year old son many years ago, now minus buffers, but still runs. However, while the early items produced in Irish livery are now legitimately collectible I have to admit to being turned off by them in their time, because to me they lacked any authenticity. Ultimately in modeling, in my view, some licence and compromise is necessary, but to my mind painting British Locos that never ran on Irish Rails in "sort of" Irish Liveries didn't make the cut.  This thread really serves to demonstrate how far we have come.  I also agree that it was nice to see "Made in Ireland" and "Guaranteed Irish"  but on the other hand some of that range was so terrible,  it didn't necessarily reflect well on Irish quality.

As a consequence I never considered building an Irish themed layout to be a realistic aspiration. That is until one evening when I was at a loose end on business travel, I wandered into a Hobby Lobby store (chain of very large stores catering in a generalised way to a wide range of hobbies) in Wisconsin and tucked away in one corner I discovered an Irish Train Set by Bachmann. At first I was very skeptical but this tuned out to be the K1 Woolwich loco with albeit LMS coaches in CIE Green livery  and for me that made the cut and changed my aspirations completely (I now have three of these sets two of which are still sealed). Being late to the party I paid a bit over the odds (not nearly as much as some) for the Lima 201's on EBay but I'm now considering disposing of these and the GWR items etc. I collected over time (the aspiration was to build GWR) to help pay for all the Irish stuff we are anticipating. However, reading this thread has made me relent on considering disposal of no. 219 that is part of the LIma Train set  L105500X05 (River Tolka and 2 x MK 3 coaches),  I will now keep this set intact.

As for DCC that's also a long fingered maybe future project I need to crawl before i can walk.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2017 at 7:59 AM, WRENNEIRE said:

The loneliness of the long distance train collector :SORRY:

I was at the Enniskillen show yesterday and a chap picked up a boxed Lima/MM mk 2 coach

Took it out of its box and turned it around

No second stripe on the reverse side, pal was not impressed, thought I was trying to fob him off with a dud.

I have this coach at shows for the last 12 months or more and never checked it out

It now sits in pride of place ( or will when I can open the press) in the collection

These are the little gems that keep us collectors happy!!!

Window has just been blemmed with Windowleen

mC4xSls.jpg

e3iwWtG.jpg

sVbes0f.jpg

EE7QrwJ.jpg

Sorry to hark back to this, still catching up. This is a reason I always open the box and inspect the contents but it also brings back a very old memory. (maybe a little off topic)

As a kid I brought a pile of secondhand model railway magazines in the Banba bookshop on Capel St. (long gone) and in one of these magazines dated 1950 was a article on "Tidmouth" by the Rev Awdry. At the time his creations were yet to become world famous but the article struck a cord and has stuck in my mind. Not least because this man had a sense of humour. The layout was "out and back" IE a terminal station running to a hidden return loop. But since at any time only one side of a train was visible to a viewer the opposite sides of the coaches were painted in different liveries. So "Thomas" could depart  hauling a particular train and apparently return with a different one.

If you are not a purist you can get twice the bang for your buck.

Edited by Ironroad
misspelling
  • Like 1

Hi Ironroad, great pics

being on IRM blog makes me realize i am worlds apart from the serious modellers on IRM,  as i write, i am waiting for the glue and sand to dry under my latest track section, an engine yard, (yes i use play sand to level my layout. (dont ask thats for another day)

Wrenneire Daves lima collection, pics and pages give me great hope for my railway eye! that my understanding of design lead me to spot appreciate Lima before i found daves blog, as it was my own personal opinion, before i found daves collection, i had already bought a good few irish Lima coaches and found that many more shun them. great says I, the price is cheap.

i dont have lima locos, just coaches

i am writing this as much for new modellers as anyone, as aspects of this hobby can appear elitist, until you meet people n attend shows etc.

I already know my limitations, that I should stay apart from the serious modelling scene as i could never aspire to the premier league of railway enthusiasm anyway, i dont have the knowledge, time, skills nor the inclination. But i do occasional get to work on rail, motorway and pipelines

mostly DCC fascinates me, murphy models inspire me, and learning about model rail from scratch, while knowing very little about the hobby, is keeping me entertained at least, and broke. and theres so much more to learn and understand, at the DCC end i am taking it all in quite seriously. the aim for now is to run trains, what the future brings i dont know. ps. I am buying IRM too.

As yet i have no grand theme or era, and likely wont, and if running Lima breaks the possibility that one day i might be a good modeller, i wont worry, i know that, many here have a life time craft experience and skills and tools and machinery for model making that i dont and wont. so my horizons are very different.

At the same time i have to design my layout for youngish under 10 y, kids, who dont show that much interest as the layout is slow to progress. and sessions are few and far between the construction, so they dont often get to run the trains.. but i nearly there. and the kids r still young. Lima suits them. perfect quality!

Early on i decided, getting a layout up and running was going to be challenge enough, so just running trains is joy enough, and Lima run, and crash and stand up far better than many, so to me 'tacky' is quality for my layout requirements, but i dont think they are tacky.

and on, ,,those Lima pics you hosted arnt like the models i have and got from Dave, mine are even less prototypical, than your photos, so i dont know what they feel or behave like, but hek, i enjoy them as much as Mr Murphy and IRMs products that i have. italian irish is always good in my book.

u said " some of that range was so terrible,  it didn't necessarily reflect well on Irish quality" some of us find beauty in terrible, and lots of thing dont reflect well on quality.

i am in my late 50's &  i have discovered what is oft considered quality, was on surface Quality in appearance only,  too often the choice and manufacture of materials destroyed our planet, its workers and resources, our pockets and like many brands was made by the same firm that re- branded the same stuff as yellow packs.at far lower non quality price..far too often we were sold 'a pup' in many walks of life..in the name of quality.

LIMAHOSUPERTRAIN3.JPG

i not arguing, just presenting a difference of opinion..one way I see it, if CAD software is fed measurements and photos and an IT/PC/IA machine pumps out a model that is an exact replica i dont necessary consider it quality. its exact for sure, the exactness is quality,  But the materials are plastic not iron, steel, tin nor brass nor timber or potters clay. and if your not into plastic, then Q goes out the window, dont get me wrong i aint pointing a finger, just looking as i do with my other hobbies, on the nature of materials, the craft of how they are worked - what the personal effect is,  the social effect, the politics and economy at the time, how they effect the planet, how they feel and behave as they are supposed to be used. sure for sure someday in the not to distant future oil based 'plastic' will be a material that ignites a collectors mind for reasons other than what we see today. durability, degree of carbon in the materials, who knows.

and too often Quality is achieved by slaves who are paid buttons, and is by many considered not the same as quality from crafts persons , yet over the centuries, the real thing was so exactly faked that quality,, needs to be considered from all angles and if it stands up, then Q it shall be. Many antiques dealer will tell you quality is achieved today by fakers who put as much effort as the original.

strangely in many fields collectors now collect some of the tattiest things  that relate to there interest as they can provide the most pleasure..  in modelling many rustic layouts have a charm, one thats probably very hard to achieve by just throwing cash and plastic scenery at the layout... as for Price, its actually the last measure of quality. yet the first in popular culture.

for me,  if by hand, someone turns out even half the Q' of what Limas worst Quality is, drawings, making moulds, fixing together by hand, in a newish Irish state, with limited resources and an unskilled but willing workforce, (designed to compete in the Uk through the Irish back door of UK import bans on European trains "quotes from dave")  there is e a certain quality i enjoy.  eye of beholder, i suppose..

anyway WreeneireDave, you and I and many others enjoy Lima, and enjoy all these pics and pages that dave and others hosted, and for us beginners, Lima are relatively cheap to get going.. so thanks Dave et al, your a legend. every penny, every upload was well worth it. long may  this lima collection last. its a national treasure.

Edited by WaYSidE

As promised here are pictures of the Heljan Esso Class A 4 wheel tank wagons (catalogue # 1153), not produced for the Irish market but acceptable because some were imported and ran initially unaltered on Irish rails. Although I would ask if anyone has knowledge of the running numbers used in Ireland.  To my eye this model is right up there in terms of detail and quality. As supplied the tension lock couplings are loose in the box and so I immediately fitted Kadee # 18s instead.  Much has been said elsewhere on this forum about the height of NEM sockets, so in examining this model I checked the position of the socket with a Symoba gauge. They are perfectly centered but very very fractionally too high but did engage the feeler on the gauge with a slight nudge. And the couplings themselves look perfect with the Kadee height gauge. I hope the pictures demonstrate both points. 

These models appear to be in short supply and the earlier weathered version seems to be completely sold out.

IMG_2514.JPG

IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2488.JPG

IMG_2487.JPG

IMG_2522.JPG

IMG_2500.JPG

IMG_2489.JPG

• Like 2