Riversuirs Workbench

Rate this topic

Riversuir226

Used to love spotting the real 112 when it was on long term loan to IE, so when the model was announced by Paddy it was on the top of the wishlist.

After i gave her a good run in, i went straight onto eiretrains to see if there was any little extras i could add

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Irish%20Locomotives/071%20Class/slides/NI112_20080513_001_CC_JA.html

My one gripe with the MM071/112 is that the horns are attached already (unlike the 141/181) which didn t help with painting.

The pipes came from the spares box with some of the MM ones put on as well.

I ll have to get on to Georgeconna about dirtying her up a bit!!!

DSC00957.jpg

DSC01312.jpg

I recently bought 5 Mir Tara wagons(many thanks for the tip off) after missing out on Robs 121:mad: on ebay, disaster struck when unpacking the boxes when i discovered three lots of bogies missing but thanks to another member on here the bogie crisis has ended.

Really enjoyed building the wagons, they when t together really well but as i was building them i couldn t get the fact that 5 taras is too short of a rake so thoughts turned to scratchbuilding.

I had the drawings for the taras(along with a few other wagon types), so i got out the pencil, set squares etc and set about drawing it too scale.(If anyone wants the drawings i ll gladly supply them just drop us a pm and i ll send them off to you).

For the chassis i used a cut down hornby freightliner wagon, i used the drawing for the correct spacings between the bogies. I then drilled out the old bogies which are attached by rivets.

The body is made from various grades of plasticard with the support ribbing built from plastistruct.

All thats left to do on the protype is to build the buffers.

Hmm now to decide on whether to paint them in original blue or in the newer scheme.

Many thanks to Anto for his detailed pics on the old site which are proving their worth in gold.:tumbsup:

Edited by Riversuir226
Adding pics

Scratchbuilding is one of those painful topics in railway modelling. sometimes its a bit wonky, but other times it works out just right. it's never the same thing twice, but you always learn from it. Suir, you're doin a crackin job, the satisfaction of having a complete rake is something only you can appreciate. afterall, its a basic skill required for irish modellers. hats off sir.

richie

Scratchbuilding is one of those painful topics in railway modelling. sometimes its a bit wonky, but other times it works out just right. it's never the same thing twice, but you always learn from it. Suir, you're doin a crackin job, the satisfaction of having a complete rake is something only you can appreciate. afterall, its a basic skill required for irish modellers. hats off sir.

richie

That is one of the beauties of scratch-building, "its never the same thing twice". When wagons go in for repair, I am sure even the twelve inch to the foot scale come out looking different to when they went in.

Great stuff Riversuir,

watching your build with great interest. Im building a rake of Taras at the moment too, its a kitbash as opposed to a full on scratch build but I can appreciate the amount of work that goes into a project like this. Looking forward to the end result. Keep us posted:tumbsup:

Tom.

• 1 month later...
Great stuff Tom,Tara's looking good.And that's fantastic

work on the scratch built Tara.the extra detail on 112

looks great-and where did you get the detail parts?.

Eamonn,

The extra pipes came from a pack of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BACHMANN-NEW-REPLACEMENT-DETAILING-PACK-CLASS-45-SEALED-BAG-/151004759138?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item232895c462

• 1 month later...

DSC01627.jpg

Bought this off baby gm the other day, couldn t miss the opportunity to try the marks models version of a 201.

After a little service on the chassis, i turned my attention to the body as i m trying to decide whether i ll put her in NIR livery as 209 or one of the 201 orange ones. I thought a good place to start was to strip the existing paint off and start from bare resin.

After a little bath in brake fluid, this is what emerged.

Edited by Riversuir226

Nir blue livery it is then no 209,!!! i ll put my hands up yes i could buy the forthcoming MM, yes i spent an age looking for good pics of her and i did spend more time still looking for nameplates in my little stash of old mir 201 bits and pieces only to find out 209 has never worn them.

I'm waiting on a few deliveries of accessories to liven her up a bit:

Class 59 side grills and roof grills

SSM 201 detailing pack plus wipers

From the spares box

Bachmann exhaust, spare MM 201 detailing bits, wire handrails, mir 209 nir decals.

and finally trying not to order an old bachmann 66 chassis and to stick with the hornby cl 59 chassis that came with her.