Riversuirs Workbench

Rate this topic

Riversuir226

A case of function over form...

Call me a sad so and so, but the decline of freight severely reduces interest in watching trains go by. At my local level crossing, the only interest is the daily stone train, but even here, counting the wagons is pointless, because it is block train, with 15 stone bogies. Slightly better than the 3 car EMU, but not much. Even in my diesel spotting days on the East Coast mainline, there was endless variety. I for one would love to see fewer lorries and more containers on the rails!

Thanks for the comments lads much appreciated :tumbsup:

The c class has arrived, time for a brake fluid bath and to start again with the paint work:). The beet wagons are getting their decals on tonight. Still not decided on having a a little blue Mv to go with the other NI locos 8208, 209,112 or finally having a West Cork based loco. Although 112 with a rake of beets behind it brings back the good old memories of her trundling along the south wexford line.:x

Edited by Riversuir226

DSC_0804_20140320171442652.jpg

The little crossley arrived yesterday, lots of work needed to turn her into 104. The motor is in need of a replacement, thinking of an athearn replacement. Bodywork detailing will be courtesy of ssm c class detailing kit and some ni ssm decals. She ll be hitting the brake fluid bath as soon as possible:)

A strangely entertaining experience i find. Be interesting to see what she looks like in the buff.

Jayzus, take that quote out of context (along with the brake fluid) and we'd have the Special Branch down on us like a ton of bricks...

DSC_0818_20140328002004443.jpg

After a week long bath in brake fluid, this is what emerged there was three liveries under the blue!!!. I replaced a few bits on the chassis and it's now running pretty sweet. Will have to put new handrails and the horns will also need to be replaced.

Edited by Riversuir226

Very impressive Tom. A bit head wrecking to do such a large rake, but it's worth it in the end, they look the bizness. How's the "Alien" coming on?;)
;)

The alien is coming on very well, putting in a nice order with Ssm for some detailing goodies for her tonight.

The last beet was a nightmare and had to be rescued from the bin, not touching another one with a barge pole!!!.

Many thanks for the comments lads, much appreciated :tumbsup:

It's a start;), bogies are mir from the spares box.DSC_0899_20140402024559386.jpg The old bogies rivets were drilled out and the holes filled in with filler, the buffers are from genesis kits and the bufferbeam built up from plasticard. Next stage is too install a plasticard floor and build up the bulkheads with the supports.

Edited by Riversuir226

• 3 weeks later...

Could have sworn I said "no more 201's unless it had 230 DSC_1117_20140425020311342.jpgon it ",but I couldn't resist another 201 project. Got a good deal on a cheapish 8208, always liked the newer enterprise livery so I decided what the heck!!. When I opened the box the words "oh dear" were uttered, the bogie frames were hanging off, bufferbeams,buffers damaged. Replacements from the bits box were needed for a rebuild and a full service was called for.

After rebuilding the bufferbeam and reattaching the detail bits, I turned my attention to the electrics, nearly all the pick ups had to be redone, the lighting worked intermittent at best on dc so a little work was required. For the handrails I made up some replacements using wire from sandwich bag ties and gave them a lick of paint to blend in with the originals. Finally I plucked up the courage to test it with the mm decoder after an hour of testing it under dc control and it worked:banana:

DSC_1117_20140425020311342.jpg