071 class in supertrain livery with IR logo?

Rate this question

frankderpfeifer

Question

18 answers to this question

On one of the many fotopics sites there was a photo of an 071 passing Inchicore, still in the Supertrain livery but with the new 'IR' logo. I thought it was interesting as photos of 071s with that livery/logo combination seem uncommon, unlike the 141/181s which some sported for quite some years. - can't remember which 071 it was sorry!

Last two locos in super train where 083 and 086,when time came to paint 086 the last loco they had no small IR logos for cab front so they used large ones used on side,no 071 had IR logos put on while in super train,there is a pic on flicker showing 086 done but it never carried this,some one playing with photo shop.

M.

Have to agree with Killucan - I certainly saw most of the class all over the place in those days and I never saw a supertrain-liveried loco with the "set of points" logo but no "tippex" white lines. They seemed to all have been repainted properly.

One 141 at least sported "sets of points" on the sides, while still carrying a "broken wheel" on each end!!! See page 43, "Rails Through the West", loco 155, caught on film by Barry Carse in 1990.

I stand to be corrected on this one, but I would be reasonably sure that no 121 carried the new logo without white stripes - I certainly don't remember seeing it. Seemed to be a disease caught only by classes A, 141 & 181!

Well I'm telling you lads, I'm sure one definitely did as I've seen the photograph myself, if the link still existed I'd post it, but I'm not one saving photos offline sorry! ;)

On 121s, locomotive 121 got the new logo but no white stripes till later, I suspect may have been others, I imagine they were quick jobs to slap the new logo on when convenient.

Edited by Eiretrains

If there's a photo there ye go lads, that's the proof! If such things occurred, they didn't stay that way long copmpared with 141s and A's - although with a greater number of locos in each of those classes that might explain why they seemed more numerous.. Interesting re. 121's; again, while I never saw one myself, that's not proof it didn't happen! It would be interesting to see photos. Yes, they did tend to "slap the new logo on" - I suppose with the new IE logo similar will happen. It certainly did when flying snails gave way to broken wheels. Possibly more so on CIE buses, but I have seen a pic of a green double decker with a white broken wheel, and pics of both navy and cream double deckers, and red and cream single deckers, with white "snails".

Preserved NCC "WT" No. 4 ended NIR service with an NIR logo on one side and a UTA crest on the other........

.... and there are numerous photos of ex-GNR railcars in the early '60's in UTA service, still in dark blue and cream, but with GNR crests and "G N R" painted out and UTA "red hand" logo on both the sides (where the GNR crest had been) and on the driving cab ends. And still with GNR-style numerals. Exk, often en ded up-GNR steam engines on the UTA, if not repainted in full UTA lined black livery, sometimes ended up remaining in GNR blue (and very dirty usually), but the "G N" and crest on the tender painted out and a new UTA number in GNR style numerals on cabsides and buffer beams. the "U T" stencil was there too...

With the release of the 071 models, this topic crossed my mind recently, and quick google search reveals the photograph I was referring to above, showing 071 Class 086 in the Supertrain livery with the IR points logos applied, passing Inchicore in April 1990.

IRISH REPUBLIC 086 Inchicore 20-04-90

It's the only image I know of it which depicts such a livery combination on an 071 locomotive, I suspect 086 may have been like this for a short time.

• Like 2

Well Eiretrains, you'v certainly nailed it, not only producing photographic evidence, but providing very important information for me to do my own seach.

I deliberately didn't get involved this thread as I wasn't sure, being out of one's dept comes to mind, then getting caught out later. Now that Flicki photo is dated 20th April 1990, dates are so important on photos, we learn a lot. I did a seach of slides I took 1990 period, lo and behold I found 086 passing the Curragh on a 17.40 Heuston / Limerick, IR logo, no strip, 25th July 1990, so it must have carried the IR logo for a few months in 1990 before it was painted. Then there was locos that carried nothing, like 014 018 and classleader 121, don't ask for a list, Im not sure, I maybe out of my depth.

Regards

h.gricer

Edited by h gricer

Then there was locos that carried nothing, like 014 018 and classleader 121, don't ask for a list, Im not sure, I maybe out of my depth.

Regards

h.gricer

You can add 183 to that list. From the same collection of pics IRISH REPUBLIC 183 Limerick 19-04-90

Great find Eiretrains. Now who will be the first to model 086 in that condition?

• Like 1

Also to add: 141:

IRISH REPUBLIC 141 Ballina 20-07-90

I'm sure there were even more, I would have to search my hard drive...

Edit:

On my harddrive, I found:

192SA (supertrain and point logos, also on front)

156S (taken directly from the side, no evidence of front: supertrain and point logo)

144SA (supertrain and point logos, also on front)

012S (supertrain and point logo, front only)

149 (supertrain and point logos, also on front)

013 (supertrain and point logos, also on front)

Thats all from "stolen" photos from the internet, so I cannot show them here.

Edited by Sentinel281

In the past, almost every time there is a major livery change there will be a short period during which exceptions of all sorts, often a mix of old and new, can be seen. In the early 1960s it was commonplace (for a short time) to see navy and cream GNR railcars with UTA crests and numerals on them, the old GN crests having been painted out. Around 1967, 70 class railcars carried no badge of ownership for a short time, as this was the turnover from UTA to NIR. One "Jeep" (the preserved No. 4) briefly carried a UTA crest on one side tank, and a new NIR logo on the other. Shortly after 1987, locos could be seen (as descirbed above) with the IR "set of points" logo but not yet the "tippex stripes", which often only came with the first full repaint. Then, as now, economy was the watchword. Now we are going to see a period when the new "tricolour" or "sideways Z" logo slowly replaces the wavy stripes or the "three pin plug" logo. We ALMOST had a newly painted grey 071 with the "three pin plug"!

Further to my reseach on locomotive 086, on Saturday 1st September 1990 on an IRRS visit to Inchicore Works 086 stood outside the running shed sporting its new IR livery with white strip.

Sunday 2nd September 1990 086 did its first run in the new IR livery working an 18.50 Connolly/ Galway GAA special with 12MK11 coaches, its interesting also that this special worked via Mullingar, Moate, Athlone Midland mainline. The mystery regarding 086 with the IR logo in supertrain livery has now finally been solved.

With the release of the 071 models, this topic crossed my mind recently, and quick google search reveals the photograph I was referring to above, showing 071 Class 086 in the Supertrain livery with the IR points logos applied, passing Inchicore in April 1990.

IRISH REPUBLIC 086 Inchicore 20-04-90

It's the only image I know of it which depicts such a livery combination on an 071 locomotive, I suspect 086 may have been like this for a short time.

i have to say that she looks well with the IR logo- great pic!

The wealth of historical and accurate information available to modellers these days is as important a facet of the hobby as anything else. You can't have a model if there was no prototypical evidence for it. You can of course kitbash or design and build your own models, but if you have no photographic evidence then your project is dead in the water. This post has been a great eye opener for me and the amount of evidence that has been provided is hugely appreciated and very interesting. Well done to all that have contributed.. Now that the OP has the correct information he can accurately portray his model of 086 by removing the broken wheel logos and applying some IR decals.

Rich,

• Like 1