100 years of irish railway photos

Rate this topic

Whilst hunting for D301 class photos, i found a treasure trove of photographs from turn of the century steam to the relatively recent - early railcars, hunslets, narrow gauge, sulzers, metro vic, guinness tramway locos, and more steam than could imagine:drool:. Many thanks to Paul Johnson for taking the time to scan & upload them. Richie.

• 2 years later...

Excellent collection.

It shows just how much of the ordinary railway is not only gone, but even among railway enthusiasts little or not known about at all.

I'm a great believer that even for modern, or post-steam era modellers, it's essential to know the details of the past, to know where the railway scene each of us follows came from.

• 3 months later...
I just had a quick look through the first album, Irish diesel locos and railcars... I notice that a number of photos from that album are currently for sale on eBay.....

by other than the owner…..?

I think they were copyrighted and locked on that site so you'd have to hack them, I think. You could alway click on report listing in eBay but eBay does not appear to be riding the moral high ground where sales fees are in the equation:facepalm:

by other than the owner…..?

I think they were copyrighted and locked on that site so you'd have to hack them, I think. You could alway click on report listing in eBay but eBay does not appear to be riding the moral high ground where sales fees are in the equation:facepalm:

I don't actually know who has them listed on eBay, but I recognised them as soon as I saw them, because they are on eBay for a long time now....

I'm not sure if Paul Johnson owns the copyright to all of the photos on the site. The information at the top of the page: 'Some of these pictures were taken by me and some were bought. All are part of my collection. These pictures are published for pleasure/information/research purposes only and are not for sale or copy under any circumstances.' He obviously does own the copyright to the photos taken by him, while some of the older photos are, I believe, part of the National Archive collections held in the NRM York.