Mgwr 2-4-0

Rate this topic

Mayner

I am looking at the possibility of doing the Midland K Class later GSR/CIE 650 Class 2-4-0 once I have sorted out the production of the tin vans. This should be a lot quicker to produce as most of the castings are available through SSM

Class G 2 - 651 - M&GWR Class K 2-4-0, built 1895 by Kitson & Co. as M&GWR No.16 ROB ROY - 1925 to GSR, 1927 rebuilt with round top boiler, 1935 rebuilt with Belpaire boiler, 1945 to CIE, 1951 rebuilt with round top boiler - withdrawn 1959 - seen here at Bray, 05/52.

These little engines lasted in service until the end of steam, even working on suburban trains to Bray and Greystones

MGWR K Class.jpg

Superheated K Class with rounded cab.

While intended for 21mm I am looking at a simple fold up chassis for OO and may be able to offer the option of a running chassis.

The main issue with these engines is the sheer number of variations, originally built in typical Attock style with "fly-away" cab, many were re-built in the 1920s like the loco in the drawing with superheating and rounded GNR style cabs.

The rounded cabs were too low and soon replaced with very plain Inchacore style cabs, later many engines received superheated belpair boilers which gave the engines an over stuffed look.

The drawing is based on an MGWR diagram from the 1920s and surprising similar in general outline to rebuilt locos in GSR days.

When I get time I will draw up some of the variations to give some idea of the general outline.

Edited by Mayner

Unlike the GSWR the Midland tended to replace or renew its locos and stock every 25 years, in the 19th Century Attock tended to replace like with like building successive generations of similar 2-4-0s up to the K Classs in 1895.

The Ks seem to have been mixed traffic or what the Scotts called Intermediate locos with slightly smaller wheels than the "Mails' engines, these latter were "renewed" as the C Class 4-4-0s for the Sligo line in the 1910s.

The Cs endded up with the reputation of the roughest running locos in Ireland with high slung superheated boilers and weak suspension

Class D 6 - 544 - M&GWR Class C1 4-4-0 - built 1915 by Broadstone Works as M&GWR No.11 ERIN-GO-BRAGH - 1925 to GSR as No.544, 1926 rebuilt with Belpaire boiler, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1955 - seen here at Kingsbridge.

The Ks were re-boilered in the 1920s loosing the "Flyaway" cab and besides Dublin suburban and branches seem to have worked the Sligo and Mayo Mails into the 1950s.

I wonder is an "Achill Bogie" D16 4.4.0 too much to ask! (I'd buy a model of all six, guaranteed!). Very limited range of operation though, fair enough....

I had intended to do the 2-4-0 & an L Class standard goods first, but will certainly look at doing the Achill Bogie an offer to buy 6 engines would be a good kick start to producing a kit :tumbsup:.

I had intended to do the 2-4-0 & an L Class standard goods first, but will certainly look at doing the Achill Bogie an offer to buy 6 engines would be a good kick start to producing a kit :tumbsup:.

I know a D16 had a very limited range as it were, beyond the Achill line they were rarely to be seen, but small 4.4.0s were to be seen elsewhere and i suppose a layout based on a fictitious location (as many are) would provide a rationale for one. After the Achill line closed one was even based for a short while in Athlone to work the GSWR branch down to Portarlington, and I have evidence of one making it to Port Laoise on a special when something else had broken down!

A GSWR D14 would be nice too. But so would SO many others.