Tara Mines Train

Rate this topic

croghie

Hi Guys

Before reading this post, please pardon my ignorance as I know basically nothing about trains/model trains.

I've joined this forum to try and find out some information about the following;

I live in a place called Beauparc in Co Meath. My house is built almost on the tara mines to Drogheda railway and I ve always wanted to get a model of the train (or a very similar train), and carraiges if possible which are used by the mines. This would be for display purposes only. With the recent rumours of the mines closing, I thought it would be nice to have a model as who knows when the train will stop running on this line, as was the case with the other train who once used the same line, to transport material from Gypsum in Kingscourt.

As I said, I don't have a clue about trains/model trains so if anybody could provide me with the type of train/carraiges and name of a shop or website which I may obtain a model from, I would greatly appreciate it. I ve sent a few emails around to ask others for info relating to this.

Also if anybody is interested in seeing a video of the train passing my house/travelling through the local area, I can get it and post it. The following link is taken very close to my house but was not taken by me;

Thanks

Regards

Brian

Welcome to the site Brien.

As you can see on the previous link,you can get the

Tara wagons,and the next batch of 071 class loco are

due next week.If you wanted a more 90s feel,you could

get. 001/A class loco from silver fox models.

You could also use a rake of craven coaches with a IR

071 loco as a railtour ran to Navan in 1996,so that

is another option.If you check out the shops section on

This site you can see what shops to look at-Grahems

Toymaster Portlaoise,Mark Models in Dublin,and the

Model shop Belfast,they all have websites.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions.

Eamonn

If you check out the shops section on

This site you can see what shops to look at-

Grahams Toymaster Portlaoise,

Mark Models in Dublin,

and the Model Shop Belfast,

they all have websites.

http://www.themodelshop.ie/

http://www.marksmodels.com/

http://modelshopbelfast.com/

And see - http://www.irishfreightmodels.com/index.php/shop.html#!/~/product/category=3461273&id=14646710

Edited by Broithe

Hi Brian,

Irish Freight Models would be delighted to discuss your Tara Mines train needs with you.

Our Tara mines rakes run on layouts worldwide with many happy customers.

For a reliable professional friendly service, simply email me at info@irishfreightmodels.com and we will answer all of your questions.

Regards

Tom

Irish Freight Models

Hi Guys

Before reading this post, please pardon my ignorance as I know basically nothing about trains/model trains.

I've joined this forum to try and find out some information about the following;

I live in a place called Beauparc in Co Meath. My house is built almost on the tara mines to Drogheda railway and I ve always wanted to get a model of the train (or a very similar train), and carraiges if possible which are used by the mines. This would be for display purposes only. With the recent rumours of the mines closing, I thought it would be nice to have a model as who knows when the train will stop running on this line, as was the case with the other train who once used the same line, to transport material from Gypsum in Kingscourt.

As I said, I don't have a clue about trains/model trains so if anybody could provide me with the type of train/carraiges and name of a shop or website which I may obtain a model from, I would greatly appreciate it. I ve sent a few emails around to ask others for info relating to this.

Also if anybody is interested in seeing a video of the train passing my house/travelling through the local area, I can get it and post it. The following link is taken very close to my house but was not taken by me;

Thanks

Regards

Brian

Hi guys

I thought I replied to this earlier but it doesnt seem to have posted or perhaps posted somewhere else.

Just wanted to thank you lads for the replies. I will look into the various different places to buy in the next few days.

Also just wanted to say how incredible the models are here on the site. Its amazing the detail that can be reproduced. I would be hopeless at that sort of thing, hence im looking for a finished model.

I forgot to mention that really I would only require a train/carraige for display rather than actual use on a track but if they can only be sourced for actual use on a track, then obviously that would be fine.

Finally, I have two more questions;

1)

Again this video is taken only about 100m from my house. I notice that the train is iriah rail 071 class 087. Can someone explain to me what these numbers stand for?

2) As I mentioned previously, the gypsum train used to travel on this line. I was wondering has anybody any info on this train or are there any links on the website about it? (I have already saw a few of the links on the site about it). Also has anybody ever made a model of those wagons? I always thought they were quite unusual with the pink material they carried

Thanks

Regards

Brian

Hi guys

I thought I replied to this earlier but it doesnt seem to have posted or perhaps posted somewhere else.

Just wanted to thank you lads for the replies. I will look into the various different places to buy in the next few days.

Also just wanted to say how incredible the models are here on the site. Its amazing the detail that can be reproduced. I would be hopeless at that sort of thing, hence im looking for a finished model.

I forgot to mention that really I would only require a train/carraige for display rather than actual use on a track but if they can only be sourced for actual use on a track, then obviously that would be fine.

1)

Again this video is taken only about 100m from my house. I notice that the train is iriah rail 071 class 087. Can someone explain to me what these numbers stand for?

2) As I mentioned previously, the gypsum train used to travel on this line. I was wondering has anybody any info on this train or are there any links on the website about it? (I have already saw a few of the links on the site about it). Also has anybody ever made a model of those wagons? I always thought they were quite unusual with the pink material they carried

Thanks

Regards

Brian

Hi again Brian

Irish freight models can of course supply you with the open hopper Gypsum wagons you need for this train also.:tumbsup:

regards

Tom

IFM

Hi guys

1)

Thanks

Regards

Brian

Well i can help with the numbers, their are 18 class 071's numbered 071-088, the numbers in this don't really matter, they are quite a strange looking beast so quite easy to tell them appart from other locomotives. NIR have 3 "class 111's" which are glorifided 071s, numbered 8111-113, again numbers don't matter. And from what wikipedia tells me is that their are 4 in Yugoslavia! Now, as regard the models, heres the cheapest i could find them, the only reason i havent put this up sonner is because im very selfish.

http://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/shop/kits_modelling/irish_railways_inc_murphy_models_rtr_kits_transfers/index.php

Now please remeber, it is a rich mans hobby!

Edited by enterprise207