Best glue/adhesive for building models ?

Rate this question

aramand

Question

I've decided time to try my hand at building a kit model - going to start with 'hopefully' something relatively simple which is the Dapol 20T Tanker - C034.

Looking for advice on best adhesive to use ? For that matter I'd appreciate any input on what are the key tools needed! I have some of the basics like tweezers, scalpel, cutting mat etc. Dont think I will be able to invest in an airbrush just yet so will have to be brush.

What else do I need ?

All advice welcome for a first time modeller!

16 answers to this question

For a plastic kit like the Dapol tanker, I find the best adhesive to use is something like Humbrol Liquid Poly. It comes in a little glass jar and has a brush attached to the inside of the cap (similar to a jar of ladies' nail varnish). It essentially 'welds' the plastic together, forming a very strong bond.

It's also worth investing in a set of cutting knives.

Guest hidden-agenda

Look out for a small steel rule you will need it when cutting plasticard and dont make the mistake of knocking over the glue ( been there got the t-shirt) when putting the brush in.Make sure you have decent light where your modelling and enjoy your self.

Re. Hidden-Agenda's point about having decent light... I'd recommend getting a magnifying lamp (like this one: http://affordaproducts.com/Images/LM763.jpg) if you'll be doing a lot of kit-building. They really do make a difference, especially when it comes down to the fine detailing. I received one as a gift, so I'm not sure how much they cost in the shops, but from looking on eBay you can pick them up there for around €40-€50 + P&P.

Something else worth doing is try a dry run of fitting parts together without glue to make sure they fit together nicely and do not need modification without glue being in the equation. It only gets messy otherwise!

Also, it will help you to work out if some parts need painting before gluing together. And if you make a mess of it the first time, don't be disheartened. I bet everyone on here has made a mess when starting out making kits. You can learn a whole lot from making a mistake. The Dapol kits are perfect to begin with and are enjoyable to make up. Enjoy it!

Look out for a small steel rule you will need it when cutting plasticard and dont make the mistake of knocking over the glue ( been there got the t-shirt) when putting the brush in.Make sure you have decent light where your modelling and enjoy your self.

I'd give this a serious thumbs up for the steel rule, often overlooked. The best ones to use are about 150mm long and are the slightly cheaper model than found in eason etc. EuroWorld type places have them and the edges aren't fully refined so they grab plasticard stopping it from slipping. These are also have a duller finish than the expensive ones, so are much easier to read the markings.

IF you're in one to those places, pick up cocktail sticks - for pushing decals around and getting little blobs of glue into odd places, clothes pegs - as cheap clamps for keeping small things together, and nail files, the card type with two surfaces for getting rid of flash and tidying up edges or extra glue. If the shop also does tools, they sometimes have a multipack of cheap tweezers, or else ask the significant other for any that she's done with.[ She may also have make up brushes that can be used for weathering] Also cotton buds for drying up excess glue or water when adding transfers. You can also pick up some cheap kiddies chalk which when ground down makes simple weathering powders. You can try out on the model and if you don't like, wash off and start again. Lastly, a small piece of glass or really flat thing, so if you alter/cut & shut a chassis, you can be sure it's square to the rails. Oh, get some elastic bands too, handy mini clamps. All of the above for around 6 yo yo's.:banana:

Richie.

i found this won't glue the kinder egg shells what should i use?

The Kinder egg shells don't take glue well. You'll probably have to use superglue on it, but even then you should be careful with it as the bond won't be all that strong.

For a Dapol Kit (which I do like to build) you will need a sharp craft knife too and a little set of needle files. They are cheap. The kits these days have a lot of flashing because the moulds used are a serious age. Also, gather a few photos of the finished models to help positioning of finer details.

By the way, some of the original Airfix kits occasionally appear unbuilt. There are a few on Hattons Preowned right now for £3 to £5. The plastic is better, the box is cool, but if they are wagons they will come without tension lock couplers.