Irish Model Buildings for 2014 - Feedback Needed

Rate this topic

The Train Man

As Gareth stated on another thread, the main Irish Retailers are always striving to bring Irish themed product to the marketplace. With this in mind are there any other buildings you would like to see for 2014??? We need your feedback!!!! Please contact:

info@modelshopbelfast.com

info@marksmodels.com

info@themodelshop.ie

At this stage nothing is fixed in stone, so put your thinking caps on!!!!

Just to clarify the proposed buildings for 2013, Carlow Station, and the as yet unnamed pub will be full relief buildings, as confirmed by Bachmann this morning.

http://www.themodelshop.ie

info@themodelshop.ie

Edited by The Train Man

A GSR/CIE type concrete signal cabin?

Also, some of the churches/creameries/national schools were really distinctive in design.

Really nice little rural filling station/garage here.

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=ireland+national+school&hl=en&ll=52.22077,-8.503335&spn=0.000003,0.002733&safe=off&hq=ireland+national+school&hnear=Cork&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=52.220852,-8.503337&panoid=3u4kH3CvYU8kgjvjC2x46g&cbp=12,281.99,,0,6.45

The old waiting room at Gorey Station perhaps, or the Goods Yard and the DWWR stone shed there. If they were going to commission a signal cabin, in the traditional style then Clonsilla would be good, or something different would be the the distinctive old DWWR signal cabin at Wicklow Murrough.

As for another station, Woodenbridge is different.

Other than the typical station type buildings, Bachmann's other buildings look great too. As above, a creamery would be good. Or one of the distinctive buildings by the railside such as the old Albatross factory in New Ross or the old Terrapin factory as you come into Wicklow.

Suggestions off the top'o'me'ead; a Gothic style station (GNR INW, Cootehill, Tynan or Glaslough area).

A GNR "yellow brick" building.

MGWR style station as at many places on the Mayo road or the Cavan or Sligo lines, with the cut stone architecture and slate roofed lean-to canopy with upright posts and wooden seating round the walls under it.

Stone based water towers.

West Cork style corrugated iron sheeted station building.

Glounthaune station please, kills two birds with one stone (cabin and main building combined), for something unusual the new Kilkenny station would be nice. Id settle for some ex cbsc buildings though, come too think of it most Church of Ireland churches are of similar design so that could be an idea.

Riversuir, may be a gap in the market there. A lot of the Anglican church models have castellations rather than the 4 spired tower of C.O.I. churches here.

The Hornby Scaledale St Andrews church doesn't look too far off a small Irish Catholic design. Could do with more windows I think.

The GNR brick buildings would be a tough ones to do from scratch, involve a lot of bodging different brick papers together I'd imagine. A worthy candidate and natural companion to the GNRI cabin.

I had thought of a thatched cottage, wonder what scale those souvenir shop ones are???

Edited by minister_for_hardship

Wilkinson Sligo road style station building and goods shed, similar buildings on the DSER and Nenagh.

Small Stancton Wood style station building Dublin-Carlow line.

Railway Signal Company cabin with brick base e.g. Mallow South or Gort same design cropped up all over the place.

MGWR style signal cabin on imitation stone base Maynooth, Mostrim etc.

WLWR small station building Horse and Jockey, Kiltimagh etc.

Generic small stone built goods shed.

Land Commission farm house and out buildings.

2 teacher school

creamery

Large stone mill building (North City Mills)

Industrial buildings with Belfast Truss roof.

Seamus,Gareth and Mark,

Good work so far,I would buy both buildings I particularly like Carlow station building,

But for a future releases I would like to see

(1)-The old Achill waiting room which is situated on the down platform at Westport station

image-1928910259.jpg

(2)-Claremorris signal cabin-(which had one of the largest lever frames in the country at 66 levers)

image-4086442350.jpg

(3)-Westport signal cabin,

image-3575570926.jpg

(4)-The two road engine shed at Westport- station (without the recently blocked up windows)

image-3683199719.jpg

Maybe not technically a "building and nd cetainly not likely to work in plaster, but what about a platform footbridge, so many irish ones were almost like a "standard" design, used north and south of the border and in GB as well. At the moment if you want one like this, you can either bodge the ancient Hornby one (overscale and a bit crude) or buy and build(!) a fiddly expensive etched brass kit.

Colm

Gates #1.jpg

Maybe not technically a "building and and certainly not likely to work in plaster, but what about a platform footbridge, so many Irish ones were almost like a "standard" design, used north and south of the border and in GB as well. At the moment if you want one like this, you can either bodge the ancient Hornby one (overscale and a bit crude) or buy and build(!) a fiddly expensive etched brass kit.

I really liked the old bridge at Ballybrophy - and I've never seen anybody use the lifts on the new one...

Riversuir, may be a gap in the market there. A lot of the Anglican church models have castellations rather than the 4 spired tower of C.O.I. churches here.

The Hornby Scaledale St Andrews church doesn't look too far off a small Irish Catholic design. Could do with more windows I think.

Bachmann don't seem to have gone in for designing as much churches or chapels in their Scenecraft range, as Hornby have in their Skaledale.

They've done the limited edition Goathland and the 3/4 relief church, both very English looking, naturally.

Hornby, as you said, did St. Andrews, they've also released St. Mary's Chapel, a Baptist Church version, St. James, Holy Trinity, St. Michael's and also a small unnamed church. I think St. Mary's wouldn't look too far off a Catholic church design either. There's a few in the North I've looked on in Yahoo Images this morning which look somewhat like it.

Edited by Blu Bianco

Changed my mind about the GNRI station building. Looking at pics I can't seem to find a small neat one, and they tend to have ornate awnings that look tricky to produce.

Don't think it would fly, unless built up in 'modular' units that you could place end to end?

I had been looking at souvenir Irish thatched cottages, most are pretty crude pastiche versions.

https://ticktalkireland.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/claire-both.jpg

Edited by minister_for_hardship