Murphy Models Mk2's

Rate this topic

Marks Models

She carried the filler pieces undercoated and both the grilles on each side were in undercoat for a while before she was repainted in the newer orange livery. I think it would make a nice project on the model. Although you would be restricting the model to a small time period.

Rich,

Were the grills replaced or something from them to be like that? No other 201s were like like that. Think 230 had grey filler pieces too since it went into Enterprise livery.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were the grills replaced or something from them to be like that? No other 201s were like like that. Think 230 had grey filler pieces too since it went into Enterprise livery.

Yeah, it did, it would be good if Murphy Models added these little things, gave 230 quite a distinctive look!

I'm almost certain that 230 had the foot holes for a time when she was repainted in Enterprise colors, and as you have said she did have them plated over at a later date. 203 was in Inchicore in Sep 2006, she had the foot holes blanked over and the grilles in undercoat when she was released back into traffic. I can only presume that they had intended to repaint her at that time, however for reasons unknown to me she was back on the rails for a short while in that condition.

Rich,

I'm almost certain that 230 had the foot holes for a time when she was repainted in Enterprise colors, and as you have said she did have them plated over at a later date. 203 was in Inchicore in Sep 2006, she had the foot holes blanked over and the grilles in undercoat when she was released back into traffic. I can only presume that they had intended to repaint her at that time, however for reasons unknown to me she was back on the rails for a short while in that condition.

Rich,

8208/209 are the only ones that never got them filled in. 225 got a repaint in the original livery with the steps filled in, before the Intercity livery came alone. Plenty of minor variants

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent news about the impending release of more Mk2's. Always good to have more Irish rolling stock to have about the sheds and sidings, when not on duty of course. It adds to the scenery!

As for the 201's, it seems they are like bovril, you either like them or you don't, as someone part-referred to earlier in terms of popularity and the resulting sales.

Fair play to those that like them but for myself when they came out in the 'real world', I just could never get into them. I don't know if it was to do with their shape or something. To me they didn't have that distinct look or sound, that the 121's, A Class, 141's/181's and 071's had. Perhaps it was similar looking loco's on the British and European networks and the resulting homogenised feel to things.

Whereas to this day, the sound and look of the 141's and 071's, et al, are standout features to me that you simply didn't see across the pond or Europe (save for the exception of four EMD's, which were somewhat similar to 071's, working in Yugoslavia, later Serbia).

Very true. I Would climb over you to get a 141 181 or 071. To me they are Irish railways. As a child thats what i saw. Although as an adult i spent many a trip heading north on the new enterprise to meet my wife to be so there is a certain amount of nostalgia in that 201 for me... I will buy an enterprise 201 model eventually but I want black and orange first

The ol 201s, if only they could have their required silencers removed maybe more folks would like them.

Jump to 3:20 in this vid and listen to the music 233 is making with it's temporary silencer mod. It reportedly gives them a bit more power too but not recommended by GM.