Old photos

Rate this topic

wiggy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some very interesting photos and a great resource. It's interesting to see the 2 boxes under the chassis on the Craven. The pic of the C class shunting at Waterford East is very nostalgic as I was raised in the houses in Sion Row until I was 3. Thanks for the link.

Rich,

Adelaide goods yard, Belfast

CIE locomotive shunting at the yard, long before the withdrawal of cross-Border freight trains. The yard was owned by NIR. The locomotive and wagons were CIE but the driver of the pilot loco would, most likely, have been NIR.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6748[/ATTACH]

The CIE loco crew done all their own shunting at Adelaide.NIR did usually have a Hunslet available at the yard for pilot duties that would have had an NIR crew member available for pilot duties,but this was very rarely put into practice.

Some very interesting photos and a great resource. It's interesting to see the 2 boxes under the chassis on the Craven. The pic of the C class shunting at Waterford East is very nostalgic as I was raised in the houses in Sion Row until I was 3. Thanks for the link.

Rich,

Rich, i never realised there was a signal cabin down there, hard to believe there was that much track down there considering now theres only a single line going through.

Many thanks for the link Wiggy:tumbsup:

Rich, i never realised there was a signal cabin down there, hard to believe there was that much track down there considering now theres only a single line going through.

Many thanks for the link Wiggy:tumbsup:

Yep there were four Tom. I have vague memories of the cabin in the photo. There also used to be some CIE box wagons stabled near to where the weigh bridge is now. It's amazing that there are still some families living in Sion Row, even though the tenement buildings are long gone.

Rich,

Yep there were four Tom. I have vague memories of the cabin in the photo. There also used to be some CIE box wagons stabled near to where the weigh bridge is now. It's amazing that there are still some families living in Sion Row, even though the tenement buildings are long gone.

Rich,

I explored the Wharf area as a teenager on a rover ticket from Dublin in 76 or 77 out via Limerick Junction, home via Rosslare Strand.

The cranes & grain loading bins were still in use for loading trucks, but rail traffic had ceased to the Wharf, the skeletons on a couple of outside framed GNR vans were parked by the buffer stops, presumably the locaals found a use for the oak planking from the bodies.

A long line of covered vans were later dumped on the siding behind the cabin, some still had labels or were chalked Empty Kegs Dundalk-Kilkenny presumably one of the last loose coupled goods working over the Waterford Line.

I toyed around with the idea of using scenes from Waterford as a basis for a model without actually modelling the station. The section around the Wharf Cabin between Sion Row and Redmond Bridge would be particulary good especially if the approach tracks to the Rosslare & New Ross line Platforms were modelled.

I explored the Wharf area as a teenager on a rover ticket from Dublin in 76 or 77 out via Limerick Junction, home via Rosslare Strand.

The cranes & grain loading bins were still in use for loading trucks, but rail traffic had ceased to the Wharf, the skeletons on a couple of outside framed GNR vans were parked by the buffer stops, presumably the locaals found a use for the oak planking from the bodies.

A long line of covered vans were later dumped on the siding behind the cabin, some still had labels or were chalked Empty Kegs Dundalk-Kilkenny presumably one of the last loose coupled goods working over the Waterford Line.

I toyed around with the idea of using scenes from Waterford as a basis for a model without actually modelling the station. The section around the Wharf Cabin between Sion Row and Redmond Bridge would be particulary good especially if the approach tracks to the Rosslare & New Ross line Platforms were modelled.

Redmond Bridge-what a great name for a bridge.

It was a really busy area east of Plunkett John. The wharf, the area in the photo. There was the flour mills where some sidings with hard standings had rail access. The Bell container port added to what was an all over busy area.

Rich,

Cheeky,

Rich,

We ve a nack down here for naming bridges after people(albeit with Waterford connections) from across the river, still find that "The cat flap" brings an aul smile to my face when i hear it!!!. Still can t call the "new bridge" rice bridge though(must have been the after effects of the brothers education);).

We ve a nack down here for naming bridges after people(albeit with Waterford connections) from across the river, still find that "The cat flap" brings an aul smile to my face when i hear it!!!. Still can t call the "new bridge" rice bridge though(must have been the after effects of the brothers education);).

Tom I remember when the first trial bridge lift failed. Investigation found that a mouse had messed with the electrics, which affected the hydraulics. Brother Edmund was a good man, although some of my mates that attended Mount Sion wouldn't agree.

Rich,

• 8 months later...

Google says the following:

The final shot is from Bevan Price. Taken at Tuam in Ireland his pic shows locomotives B170 and B175 on a CIE (Córas Iompair Éireann) service at Tuam. Bevan's pic was taken on 12th June 1977. CIE is responsible for the majority of public transport in Ireland.

• 2 weeks later...

Down the end, class 1366, is the closest i've found. Possibly part of the cornwall mineral railway due to the size, good for sharp curves, hauling heavy loads, bad for gradients with no front or rear axles. Manning Wardle used to make lots of those odd lads for overseas too. Could even be SA or NZ, but definitely in a quarry.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/nopanniers.html

R.